The Falkirk FC Thread

20 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yes to both. He's a youth player (schoolboy?) and isn't one of those who was given an apprenticeship, so you might not see much of him. I think he's still young enough to play with the U18s next season so he probably still has time to earn a contract. I assume he was pulled into the squad on the final day due to the lack of defensive cover. 

The lack of progress of any players from the development squad is a concern . Although in principle I support the concept of developing our own young players I’m not sure of the financial value especially given that every penny is important in a very competitive championship. 
Guys I know who watch the shire and junior football locally say that none of our current youth loanees will cut it in the championship! Worrying !

26 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

The lack of progress of any players from the development squad is a concern . Although in principle I support the concept of developing our own young players I’m not sure of the financial value especially given that every penny is important in a very competitive championship. 
Guys I know who watch the shire and junior football locally say that none of our current youth loanees will cut it in the championship! Worrying !

Are these modern apprenticeships not funded to some extent though?

27 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Hardly surprising given the self destruction of our youth system in recent years.

It will no doubt come good again but will take time.

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Hardly surprising given the self destruction of our youth system in recent years.

It will no doubt come good again but will take time.

just checked on transfer market, 3 are 17, 2 are 18 and 1 is 19,  the oldest being the goalkeeper.  i suspect most teams in the championship will not be playing players that age regularly. 

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I think the money comes from fundraising by things like golf days, sportsmens dinners and sponsorship. It's notable that the academy has a different sponsor from the first team. 

I believe the sponsor only does youth football, used to be involved at the club and then pulled out in protest when the academy closed. So the money isn't coming out of the first team budget. 

I don't care about the opinion of guys who watch the Shire and junior football. TBH I'm not bothered about the opinion of many Falkirk fans  either, particularly when I read some of the stuff that goes up on COYB. I trust Tony Begg and John McGlynn though. If they think these guys are worth handing out apprenticeships to that's good enough for me. 

Why subject yourself to the eye bleeding drivel on the COYB pages?

Most of the posters on there have yet to master writing with a crayon and are barely capable of coherent thought.

22 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Why subject yourself to the eye bleeding drivel on the COYB pages?

Most of the posters on there have yet to master writing with a crayon and are barely capable of coherent thought.

Can’t argue with the sentiment but I’d have worded it a bit differently 

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

18 year old Scott Honeyman's racked up just under fifty first team appearances in the lowland league for the shire whilst on loan over the past two seasons, scoring 11 goals and assisting 5. 

We've only just started our academy back from scratch 3 years ago so to have 5 modern apprentices in the first team at this stage is terrific progress.

It's now up to them to prove themselves worthy of a place in the team.

5 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

Can’t argue with the sentiment but I’d have worded it a bit differently 

Write with chalk and blackboard? Thick as f**k? How would you have worded it? 

1 hour ago, BPM said:

Write with chalk and blackboard? Thick as f**k? How would you have worded it? 

sarcasm, understatement maybe irony?  IMHO name calling is usually the behaviour of insecure people trying to appear confident.

25 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

sarcasm, understatement maybe irony?  IMHO name calling is usually the behaviour of insecure people trying to appear confident.

Oh come on, that page would make Mother Theresa post telling them to stop being fkn t1ts.

5 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Wow, after the near destruction job on our club by Campbell & Lang - closing an academy the envy of most of Scotland and diverting all money to useless below average journeymen with no sell on value some people have learned nothing.

Also expecting immediate results whilst trying to sniff out "every penny" when someone else is paying for it is a bit rich. 

Give it a chance man, it's a long road back.