The Falkirk FC Thread

If you told me towards the end of last season we’d have secured Callum Morrison on a long term deal fending off interest from other clubs, signed McKenna who was a championship POTY and top goal scorer, singed an experienced keeper to challenge Hogarth, kept our invincible side together without loosing anybody and managed to get Dylan Tait in on a permanent deal I’d have bitten your hand off to be honest. Over and above that it appears we may also have unearthed a gem in Keelan Adams and I’d also say it’s more likely than not at least one or two other players will arrive via the loan market before the transfer window closes as was the case last season. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

43 minutes ago, Super Simon said:

Whilst releasing some of those players on the back of last season would not have been an easy call, these are the kind of hard, unsentimental decisions that a manager is (well) remunerated to make. Especially given that we (a) are moving up a level and (b) have a comparatively  limited budget with which to strengthen the squad. The retention of Oliver, in light of McKenna being signed, just feels like overkill. Shanley was signed on a 6-month deal with a year's option, so it may well be that say he reached a pre-agreed appearance threshold to trigger that option but there was precious little on show from him to suggest he is capable of making any sort of impact at Championship level. Hopefully a full preseason will have elicited some improvement, time will tell.

That we're perhaps now having to rely on a Clyde to take Allan to possibly afford us the opportunity to bring in one player is a pretty brutal situation to be in. Extremely underwhelming transfer window to date.

We’re weeks away from the start of the season, have a full and settled squad, and folk are whingeing.  It’s perfectly valid to question decisions before they’ve been proven successful or otherwise, but I’m in the camp that McGlynn has bought enough credit and respect to be given a pass for a bit. 

Also, we don’t exist in a vacuum. If you look at some other clubs, there’s plenty fretting going on.

13 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

When Jeffreys signed Hughes from Berwick they fans were glad to see the back of him as all he was good for was the target for hoofball up the park

We signed him from Swansea 

10 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I really hope ticket sales pick up for Saturday. Getting a good home support in could be a difference maker. Holiday period always a struggle at this time of year though. 

I'd expect a lot of people to patg for this one.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yeah, all we did was secure the majority of the Invincibles team, including a couple of ex-loanees who the fans were desperate to see back. Plus recruit a Championship top scorer from the last few years and recruit a youth player who's been the biggest standout of preseason.  

The recruitment has been solid enough and given the invincible season, almost sentimental, to keep most lads together. With the further additions we can expect to be comfortably midtable IMO. With our years of misery in League 1, it’s not a bad place to be with our current squad. We can build and move forward, even if it takes another season to get up. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy1876 said:

I am though surprised that the increase in season tickets seems to have had such little effect.  Thought we would have enough money for another 2 permanent signings rather than holding out for loans. Guess the wage increases for being in the championship and extensions were made on the gamble we would have those season tickets to cover it. 

Same thoughts, with last seasons home gates very healthy, merchandise off the scale, huge increase in ST sales, FSS subscriptions up, sell outs or close to with our fife neighbours and decent away supports ,thought there would be a bit of budget stretch. Guessing getting Morrison &Tait signed up and the overall increased costs for Championship wages has left the biscuit tin empty. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

The recruitment has been solid enough and given the invincible season, almost sentimental, to keep most lads together. With the further additions we can expect to be comfortably midtable IMO. With our years of misery in League 1, it’s not a bad place to be with our current squad. We can build and move forward, even if it takes another season to get up. 

I think this is fair enough and you're not wrong.  I don't think we're in trouble this year (unless we get off to a particularly bad start).

I also don't think recruitment has been bad, very happy with Tait & Ross especially.  

I know nobody wants to think this way but we also have to be realistic and some of our guys aren't going to be as effective after the step up (arguably none of them will be as effective given the high standards set last season).  In attack we're covered on the wings with good options, in the 10 and in the centre of midfield but I worry about our defence.  I think we'll leak goals against higher quality opposition.  Maybe not so much if Donaldson and Lang play but each of the current cover options are L1 at best imo.  The likes of Mackie are ok when we're dominating games but we've seen already how they can struggle when under pressure (as can Donaldson and Lang btw but not to the same extent).  I'm 100% here for Adams becoming he new Baresi.  Big season for Hogarth too and we need a fit and on form McCann on the left.   

I also still think we'll see some loans so all not settled yet!  

2 hours ago, Super Simon said:

Whilst releasing some of those players on the back of last season would not have been an easy call, these are the kind of hard, unsentimental decisions that a manager is (well) remunerated to make. Especially given that we (a) are moving up a level and (b) have a comparatively  limited budget with which to strengthen the squad. The retention of Oliver, in light of McKenna being signed, just feels like overkill. Shanley was signed on a 6-month deal with a year's option, so it may well be that say he reached a pre-agreed appearance threshold to trigger that option but there was precious little on show from him to suggest he is capable of making any sort of impact at Championship level. Hopefully a full preseason will have elicited some improvement, time will tell.

That we're perhaps now having to rely on a Clyde to take Allan to possibly afford us the opportunity to bring in one player is a pretty brutal situation to be in. Extremely underwhelming transfer window to date.

seriously dude the trolling is painful 

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Yeah, all we did was secure the majority of the Invincibles team, including a couple of ex-loanees who the fans were desperate to see back. Plus recruit a Championship top scorer from the last few years and recruit a youth player who's been the biggest standout of preseason. 

The definition of underwhelming. 

Super not but Simple yes…..a Pars fan in veiled attempt to disguise his own alter ego

23 minutes ago, AJ1981 said:

seriously dude the trolling is painful 

What is your precise definition of trolling please?

Offering an opinion or point of view that is not in complete alignment with your own?

One that dares to deviate from the party line?

Come on, even you can come up with an insult just little bit more original than that if you really put your mind to it.