The Falkirk FC Thread

Didn’t realise how much Smuir really do hate us. Not sure if was anything to do with groudsharing a few year back or something from yesteryear. Been a couple of hospitality visits, and for sure the mention of our team doesn’t fit well. Strange.

I used to go to Ochilview in the late 80s/early 90s with my dad if Falkirk were away from home and we weren’t going to the away game. Had no issues with them at all tbh until the ground share season in 2003. 

The farce over delaying putting the old Brockville roof on the terrace left a bitter taste with me (and others that I know) so that certainly changed my opinion of them. 

26 minutes ago, SomersetBairn said:

Maybe a kind of analogy would help you understand? If you swapped England for Falkirk, and Scotland for Stenny, would you get it? I know a few English that patronise us and say they want Scotland to do well, whereas I don't know any Scots who want England to do well. I believe the same is for Stenny fans towards us.

Not sure if it’s entirely similar but I get what you are saying. Although I’m definitely not being patronising, I genuinely do want to see Steny doing well. I live in the area and attend the occasional game. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I suspect if Stenny were a similar sized team with a similar level of success to us, we'd despise them too as it would be more of an equal footing rivalry.  

The England - Scotland thing is the same.  For all the English who say they want Scotland to win, see how quickly that would change if Scotland were to start winning (or even making the latter stages) of tournaments, beating England occasionally on the way.  Its 'safe' for English to support Scotland because they're no threat, in the same way a lot of Falkirk fans like Stenny & Shire.  

Can see the comparison but not sure how accurate it is, having spent two weeks in Germany watching Scotland literally none of the English over there we witnessed were supporting Scotland! They actually have a wee itinerary of disparaging songs about us I’d never even heard before! 

4 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

They only have about 3 fans, there's not much to pick from 😉

I like him, he has his own opinions but always comes across as someone who loves and cares about his club, something I'm sure we can all relate to. He's always well researched.  I really don't understand how people get wound up by his anti Falkirk agenda, it's all an act.

Telfer is a good guy.

Strangely enough the Falkirk Stenny thing even extends to womens football. Many of our players had a very low opinion of the counterparts in maroon so I assume the feeling was mutual. I remember a game in which one of their coaches took to social media to say how pumped up he was to play us on derby day. That was around 8 am on matchday. I spoke to our coach afterwards and he said at that time he was far more interested in his breakfast. 🤣

Falkirk women owned Stenny for a number of years. Last year they returned the favour by scudding us twice in three games. Since then we've released half our promotion-winning team and are recruiting extremely well. Only two have been announced so far, but there are some very good players to follow. 

I'm looking forward to both the womens clashes in the league next season and the mens cuptie in a fortnight. I think all will be feisty. 

I mind being in the Wee Bar in the stand at Ochilview a good few years ago, I noticed that they had pennants from every Scottish club you could think of and many English as well. I couldn’t see a Falkirk one and asked where it was, to be told by staff in there that they wouldn’t have that shite on their wall. 

I never felt any animosity towards them, Shire, Stirling or Alloa and because they were all local wanted them generally to do well but they definitely despise us. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I mind being in the Wee Bar in the stand at Ochilview a good few years ago, I noticed that they had pennants from every Scottish club you could think of and many English as well. I couldn’t see a Falkirk one and asked where it was, to be told by staff in there that they wouldn’t have that shite on their wall. 

Did he stay down after you thumped him? 😂

3 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I never felt any animosity towards them, Shire, Stirling or Alloa and because they were all local wanted them generally to do well but they definitely despise us. 

Stirling Albion. Fantastic hospitality and can’t thank the hospitality staff enough for the “game experience” for the couple of games over the past few seasons. However like the smuir the hatred for us is pretty gross. 

I think deep down if they were being honest, their supporters are probably quite envious of us. They are smaller clubs, we have a great support, have had some success over the years, cup finals, semi-finals etc etc. Plus our record against the lot of them in head to heads is good, they might win the odd game against us but we generally get the better of them.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

21 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Can see the comparison but not sure how accurate it is, having spent two weeks in Germany watching Scotland literally none of the English over there we witnessed were supporting Scotland! They actually have a wee itinerary of disparaging songs about us I’d never even heard before! 

I hear you. Those are the pretty hardcore fans, and they do hate us. One of my best mates used to go everywhere with them, and he constantly rips the pish. 
Living down here, I get the patronising shite from some of them. Maybe they don't want to hurt my feelings..... It's usually the ones that maybe go to local games and don't really follow England...  

I’ve never hid my admiration for Ross MacIver.

i know it’s just the first competitive match of the season, but it was against Premier League opposition. MacIver looked as good a Centre Forward as a club in our position could wish for. 
He is contracted to June ‘25 and could well already be attracting watchful eyes.

I’d love to think John & Paul are working on a contract extension for this 24 yr old.