The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Could the FSS not put a cheeky wee bid in for the Pars? Be useful to have a training ground when we have to put a grass pitch in. 

The German backers ( not investors) will largely lose their cash. In reality dunfermline are of no value as a business and the only viable investor will be a fan or group of fans who can stomach watching their cash go down the pan they might be able to squeeze by if they go part time but as I see it they have no assets and not much hope of staying in the championship. I can’t decide if I’m happy or sad !

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The 3-3 draw in 1986 @HopeStreetWalker

The worst display of blatant, don't give a shit cheating you will ever see in a match. Worse than anything the OF bought and paid for referees ever cooked up.

This was the most cheated I’ve ever felt at a game. The referee (was it McGilvery?) was totally complicit. 

8 hours ago, Stainrod said:

The German backers ( not investors) will largely lose their cash. In reality dunfermline are of no value as a business and the only viable investor will be a fan or group of fans who can stomach watching their cash go down the pan they might be able to squeeze by if they go part time but as I see it they have no assets and not much hope of staying in the championship. I can’t decide if I’m happy or sad !

Putting aside it's them and the tiny schadenfreude I might feel, it's definitely a wake-up call that becoming sustainable and competitive is for the birds.

Been watching events at EEP and ICT with interest - bridging the shortfalls to run a football club seems nigh on impossible.

Even in our position - on the up - we can fool ourselves we're in a better place but are we really.

36 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Putting aside it's them and the tiny schadenfreude I might feel, it's definitely a wake-up call that becoming sustainable and competitive is for the birds.

Been watching events at EEP and ICT with interest - bridging the shortfalls to run a football club seems nigh on impossible.

Even in our position - on the up - we can fool ourselves we're in a better place but are we really.

No, what it shows is the hideous imbalance in Scottish football with the vast majority of the money being hoovered up by a handful of clubs that can then impose constraints on anyone else trying to become sustainable. The recent pitch vote is scandalous.

Scottish football will be reduced to a husk by the leeches in the top league. 

Now if those clubs were playing great football, winning European tournaments, contributing to a successful national side well, yes, you could argue it's worth it.  But they're not. The standard of football is shit, performance is going backwards and it gets worse every year. 

Edited by Newbornbairn

19 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

No, what it shows is the hideous imbalance in Scottish football with the vast majority of the money being hoovered up by a handful of clubs that can then impose constraints on anyone else trying to become sustainable. The recent pitch vote is scandalous.

Now if those clubs were playing great football, winning European tournaments, contributing to a successful national side well, yes, you could argue it's worth it.  But they're not. The standard of football is shit, performance is going backwards and it gets worse every year. 

Totally agree but that is the reality. Looking at this as it is, not how I would like it to be.

We're on track to break even this season. Really couldnt be further removed from the situations at ICT and Dunfermline racking up huge losses 

Obviously the ongoing £150k from FSS helps hugely to get to our situation, but it would have been easy to increase McGlynn's budget by £500k to make it the best in the league and worry about how we were going to cover said loss come May if we didnt get promoted. Glad we won't be going down the Killie/ Dundee/ Dundee Utd route any time in the foreseeable future  

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

I actually fear (to no huge degree) what will happen to Ayr, Raith, Livi and maybe even Thistle if they don’t get promoted having flung large sums at going up this year. 

I see almost every social media post by Ayr is begging people to go to the games or moaning about the crowds they’ve been getting to encourage more. That suggests the owner isn’t happy at being the only one pumping money in. 

12 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What they got up to was co choreographed, it could only have come from the training ground. One particular nasty moment was one player looking till the officials were looking away, nodded and a player turned round and banjo'd McDonald. Appalling stuff and the only club I well and truly hate and have cheered on evry team that plays them and that included the Old Firm and that is saying something. Have never seen Falkirk fans so angry.

I remember that game. Horrible, horrible club and never liked them since then. Miller was/is a scumbag.

Who was McDonald that got hit though ? From my memory (I’m getting on albeit) nobody called McDonald played in that game ? (I’ll check better meddle).

What’s happening at several other clubs is educational. ICT, Dunfermline, Raith, Motherwell, St M, Ayr, DU etc all for very different reasons. 

We were in the grubber two years ago. Fan ownership wasn’t a magic wand but a last resort. Had McGlynn failed in his first season, my guess is that we would have been gubbed, no matter the improvements off the park. The margins were so fine and there was no buffer.  

Many of the reasons listed above - including the crazy governance and financing in Scottish football - are accurate. But have to live within these parameters, as we have done for decades, and can also learn from others.

All we can do is run our club the best we can and not implode when things get tough. I’d say our key strength is that we control our own club and therefore destiny. Fan control isn’t a silver bullet but we aren’t at the mercy of people who don’t care about FFC 

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

I actually fear (to no huge degree) what will happen to Ayr, Raith, Livi and maybe even Thistle if they don’t get promoted having flung large sums at going up this year. 

I see almost every social media post by Ayr is begging people to go to the games or moaning about the crowds they’ve been getting to encourage more. That suggests the owner isn’t happy at being the only one pumping money in. 

Noticed that as well. They've only sold 1200 STs and got less than 3k against Airdrie. Simply not sustainable, what happens if their owner stops putting money in overnight? Seems incredibly perilous. Likewise the situations at Raith and Hamilton. 

Obviously Raith had a significant uplift in their crowds (and more importantly pie sales) when they were challenging for the league which may have offset said losses. But given the competitive nature of the Championship combined with the fickleness of football fans, one bad season and that model goes out the window 

49 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I remember that game. Horrible, horrible club and never liked them since then. Miller was/is a scumbag.

Who was McDonald that got hit though ? From my memory (I’m getting on albeit) nobody called McDonald played in that game ? (I’ll check better meddle).

Colin McDonald as I remember

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

I’ve said on many occasions that until the arse cheeks GTF, the stranglehold on our game will continue to look after the chosen few. The imbalance from the top league finances to the championship and below is almost unsustainable and the debts that many clubs are carrying cannot be sustained. We’ve got ICT publicly announcing that if Tuesdays meeting with all people they have loans/debt with goes wrong, they could be out of business. SPL status two years ago? How many more on the brink ? and were two games into the new season ? 

28 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Noticed that as well. They've only sold 1200 STs and got less than 3k against Airdrie. Simply not sustainable, what happens if their owner stops putting money in overnight? Seems incredibly perilous. Likewise the situations at Raith and Hamilton. 

Obviously Raith had a significant uplift in their crowds (and more importantly pie sales) when they were challenging for the league which may have offset said losses. But given the competitive nature of the Championship combined with the fickleness of football fans, one bad season and that model goes out the window 

I'm not trying to be contrarian today but ...

Substitute "owner" for FSS in the 1st scenario and what you describe could equally apply to us eventually in the last.

I just don't think it's wise to think we've nothing to worry about.

22 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I'm not trying to be contrarian today but ...

Substitute "owner" for FSS in the 1st scenario and what you describe could equally apply to us eventually in the last.

I just don't think it's wise to think we've nothing to worry about.

An individual sugar daddy type owner and an organised collective group of over 1000 loyal supporters putting money in are absolutely in no way comparable! It’s two completely different situations, you are comparing apples and oranges! Do you think 1000 odd individuals who are all emotionally invested fans are all of a sudden going to each stop contributing they're subs each month at the exact same time? That’s simply not going to happen, however in the case of a club being bankrolled by a wealthy individual with no emotional attachment to said club it’s always a distinct possibility they suddenly decide to stop pumping money in or are suddenly no longer able to do so for whatever reason as we have seen multiple examples of before. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

26 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Coco is the same age as me so would only have been 11 or 12 in 1986 !

Yeah Coco was a decade later.

Connor spat on someone to get sent off. Hetherston maybe?

The only comparable complete heads gone from me was the Hearts LC game where we ended up with 8 men. Absolutely wild cheating and refereeing 😄