The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

I have read Falkirk fans "support" of Mcglynn, Maciver & Henderson in the past. Some brass necks on a lot of bairns fans now hailing them as second coming of christ.  

Oh I remember the begging buckets you don't need to remind me. 

This boy is a bit of a tit.

31 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

There's a few more options upfront if not Shanley. It's been mentioned that Alfie and McKenna could also play up top. With Shanley's disappointing showing, those two would be under stronger consideration, as cover for MacIver. I wouldn't judge either until I've actually seen them play the position competitively, then see how they get on. And we already know what Oliver can do in that position. There's a few more rotations left in this squad yet. If Hendo is indeed suspended, then Mackie moves inside and Leon gets another start.

I would move Adams inside and bring Yeats into full back.

McCann looked very rusty today.

6 hours ago, Rugster said:

Yep, they changed it without any obvious changes in the table, so I mistook it for the same as last year. Of course, I didn't notice that Skyline had said that, or I would have looked deeper...thanks for drawing my attention to it.

5 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I would move Adams inside and bring Yeats into full back.

McCann looked very rusty today.

Yes, another option if McCann's not up to speed. Until we get everyone back fit and healthy, the squad versatility is really coming to the fore.

Echoing others that I'd be more bothered if today was a League game and shows we need to be far more clinical with our chances.

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Put your best team on the park, get the game won then ring the changes.

I green dotted someone last week for making the exact same comment (It may even have been yourself) 
It’s a shame we have exited this tournament so soon as I believe it’s a £100k prize money for it outright + extra money generated from possible mouth watering ties like RR, Dunfermline or Airdrie in the way to final.
I have always advocated best team starts the game, get it won then make the changes but hey ho!
The disappointing reality of this result reduces generated income from the Celtic game. Call me greedy but we need every penny we can find if we are to compete and be serious contenders for promotion/play-offs. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

There's a few more options upfront if not Shanley. It's been mentioned that Alfie and McKenna could also play up top. With Shanley's disappointing showing, those two would be under stronger consideration, as cover for MacIver. I wouldn't judge either until I've actually seen them play the position competitively, then see how they get on. And we already know what Oliver can do in that position. There's a few more rotations left in this squad yet. If Hendo is indeed suspended, then Mackie moves inside and Leon gets another start.

Genuine question, based on what? McKenna stated in an interview to the FH in July that his position is "in behind the main striker", meaning he's effectively in direct competition with Nesbitt and Oliver (and very much a distant third in that particular queue). I've seen precious little of anything from him to date, and certainly nothing whatsoever to suggest he is capable of filling in for MacIver. Someone on here earlier defended him on the basis that he is "not hopeless", personally I was looking for a hell of a lot more from him than that, literally the lowest of low bars. Underwhelming in the extreme. I would not be adverse to seeing Agyeman played through the middle but there has never been the slightest sign that the management team are inclined to try him there. 

We've made an excellent start to the season, I think the platform for a serious promotion challenge is there, but the lack of squad depth is going to hinder us at some point. We are still relying on the same core group week after week after week, especially when we appear to be going into every game three or players down. Today was the perfect occasion for the likes of McKenna and Shanley to show what they have to offer, neither came close to grasping that opportunity. We need, as an absolute minimum, another valid frontline option, Gabby McGill was a name I had thought about, he impressed for Airdrie against us once or twice. Was being linked with some Championship clubs in the summer but still seems to be a free agent, although his preference may be for a club down south. Based on the transfer market so far, I'll be amazed if we are even looking to bring anyone in unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, North West said:

Oh you found me out.

I am trying to improve my written English skills by reading Charles Dickens. His descriptions of Victorian squalor definitely draws parallels with modern day Falkirk, do maybe I should be more empathetic 😆 

Bah, humbug.

7 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

You got me mate, I’m totally worked up, in fact I’m worked up to f**k.

My favourite genre of post. The fingers twitching just enough to let an entire forum of strangers know you're totally no raging by the way! Great stuff.

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

This boy is a bit of a tit.

Ah you must be one of the ones where the abuse got personal of mcglynn. Truth hurts bubba. Least you love him now, that's the main thing. 

On yesterdays game, unfortunately I couldn't get into the game, however, as much as I like winning every game we play, including this cup which I have great memories of, this team seems to be in a habit of only losing or drawing games that hurt us least (£100K aside if you win it!). We didn't have Spencer, Morrison, Nesbitt, Lang available, started without Miller, Mackie, Oliver and MacIver, we missed a penalty, conceded a late penalty, hit the woodwork twice, played with 10 men for the last 20 minutes, so it really is just one of those days you have to accept and move on. Any time we significantly tinker there is a risk of not being as fluid as we might be, however on  the flip side, its useful for the league and management in the lessons learnt - Shanley didn't take this opportunity and McKenna didn't set the heather on fire to name but two. On the positive side, Alfie seems to have shown up well again.

Back to the League, looking at the table the bottom 7 sides after 4 or 5 games each are averaging a point a game or less. Quite an incredible stat, based in the main on the fact there have been a lot of draws and that Ayr and Falkirk have won 8 of their 9 games combined. These early season wins are really helping create a gap which could be very important as the season progresses.

Draws will be a killer this season in this league, best taking some risks and going all out for wins, as I think we do, at the risk of losing some along the way.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

4 hours ago, GunnerBairn said:

Only suspended on this competition 

3 hours ago, Super Simon said:

Genuine question, based on what? McKenna stated in an interview to the FH in July that his position is "in behind the main striker", meaning he's effectively in direct competition with Nesbitt and Oliver (and very much a distant third in that particular queue). I've seen precious little of anything from him to date, and certainly nothing whatsoever to suggest he is capable of filling in for MacIver. Someone on here earlier defended him on the basis that he is "not hopeless", personally I was looking for a hell of a lot more from him than that, literally the lowest of low bars. Underwhelming in the extreme. I would not be adverse to seeing Agyeman played through the middle but there has never been the slightest sign that the management team are inclined to try him there. 

We've made an excellent start to the season, I think the platform for a serious promotion challenge is there, but the lack of squad depth is going to hinder us at some point. We are still relying on the same core group week after week after week, especially when we appear to be going into every game three or players down. Today was the perfect occasion for the likes of McKenna and Shanley to show what they have to offer, neither came close to grasping that opportunity. We need, as an absolute minimum, another valid frontline option, Gabby McGill was a name I had thought about, he impressed for Airdrie against us once or twice. Was being linked with some Championship clubs in the summer but still seems to be a free agent, although his preference may be for a club down south. Based on the transfer market so far, I'll be amazed if we are even looking to bring anyone in unfortunately. 

We are not relying on the same core every week though. 
Yesterday we dominated a game, even with ten men and the starting line up did not include Mackie, Spencer, Nesbitt, Morrison, Miller and MacIver. They not part of that core? I think there is an over reaction bourne from frustration (on another day we win by 4/5 even with the changes we made). Let’s suck it up, hold your hands up to their keeper and move on. I am pissed off we lost but it certainly wasn’t a deserving penalty defeat. 

50 minutes ago, BPM said:

We are not relying on the same core every week though. 
Yesterday we dominated a game, even with ten men and the starting line up did not include Mackie, Spencer, Nesbitt, Morrison, Miller and MacIver. They not part of that core? I think there is an over reaction bourne from frustration (on another day we win by 4/5 even with the changes we made). Let’s suck it up, hold your hands up to their keeper and move on. I am pissed off we lost but it certainly wasn’t a deserving penalty defeat. 

This was the first time, I think, with the possible exception of the Ian McCall team, that I actually haven't been that bothered about us signing anyone in the transfer window. Mainly at the risk of unsettling a very settled and productive side.

Even with injuries to key players, we've started the league (and League Cup) incredibly well, we have very good flexibility (and thus cover) in the team. If there is extra money available as a result of the League Cup run and the larger crowds at the league games then I'd rather, as we seem to have wisely done, hold it back to see what we need in January based on league position, injuries and form then. It's a really decent position to be in and quite rare. 

Been covered in the past few posts, but on another day we’d have had a few goals and out of sight. Difficult to pass judgement on one game, but apart from Alfie, those given the chance didn’t do it for me. One thing for certain was the loss of Spencer, such an important pivotal player, hope the injury isn’t too bad. Very disappointed but no distraction from the league which is our only priority this season. Agree with Bridge of Allan we’re in a good place but maybe need to look at January window for some movement.

7 hours ago, Super Simon said:

Genuine question, based on what? McKenna stated in an interview to the FH in July that his position is "in behind the main striker", meaning he's effectively in direct competition with Nesbitt and Oliver 

Based on McGlynn's interview on the website when McKenna was signed.:

MICHAEL MCKENNA JOINS FALKIRK - Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

“He’s an attacking midfield player who can play in a number of positions, even as a striker, which is an advantage. He’s a very good footballer, he’s a great character who’ll blend into the changing room very well, and he knows a number of players who are here already. He brings experience but still has a number of good years ahead of him. He’s a great addition to what we have already and we look forward to working with him.

Edited by GunnerBairn