The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

I think this is what is known as "the better mouse-trap fallacy".

I say that with the view that the message the FSS is promoting is still at odds with the fans understanding or views.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the disparity between the FSS message and the fans views. Not that I completely disagree I would add, as I have my own thoughts mainly around the emphasis on the fund the football budget line going a bit stale and now needing to give more weight to FSS as a safeguarding group for the future of the club. 

In terms of membership, the Bairns Survey at the end of last year gave a strong indication that the main reason for folk not joining was the cost (42% of those who hadn't joined cited it), then not agreeing with fan-ownership (7%) and how the FSS was run at (3%). The rest either indicated they were unaware of FSS, already a member or felt they supported the club enough by other means.

I think the direction of FSS is still overwhelming positive (and that will continue with a new membership iniative coming this week) but there's no doubt that it should be in an even stronger position. 

5 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

...Not that I completely disagree I would add, as I have my own thoughts mainly around the emphasis on the fund the football budget line going a bit stale and now needing to give more weight to FSS as a safeguarding group for the future of the club. 

This. As mentioned by JS, all income streams outperforming previous targets, Championship revenues and the club in relative good place on the pitch fans might ask why topping up the budget is needed. 

I would agree the emphasis on the budget has run it's course. 

I still question whether there needs to be more tiering a la Patreon funding for podcasts.

Like if you pay 50 a month you get a monthly zoom q and a with the management team and an  annual meet the team thing.

I know this has risks attached as well as it potentially creates an 'us and them' divide within the FSS but I think it's worth exploring. 

10 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I still question whether there needs to be more tiering a la Patreon funding for podcasts.

Like if you pay 50 a month you get a monthly zoom q and a with the management team and an  annual meet the team thing.

I know this has risks attached as well as it potentially creates an 'us and them' divide within the FSS but I think it's worth exploring. 

I wonder if you could have a corporate level too? I know businesses have a number of sponsorship options but there might be some way to incentivise businesses to get involved on the FSS side. 

47 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Hmmm, that somewhat goes against the current mantra of "we're a' in this thegither". Some on here have intimated that they are already paying more than the minimum 10 quid a month and I know that they are not doing it to get anything in return but for the love of the club.

Sure, look for alternative income streams but not as part of the FSS. 

10 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

In terms of membership, the Bairns Survey at the end of last year gave a strong indication that the main reason for folk not joining was the cost (42% of those who hadn't joined cited it), then not agreeing with fan-ownership (7%) and how the FSS was run at (3%). The rest either indicated they were unaware of FSS, already a member or felt they supported the club enough by other means.

Bound to be some interesting opinions from this lot.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Do FSS members get paid dividends or are any profits used to buy more shares? 

The club doesn't pay dividends.  

I have my own issues with the FSS leadership (I resigned from the committee over their refusal to be more independent from the club which ultimately it has to be: it should be a fan trade union) but I am fully supportive of the continuing concept and trying to increase fan ownership and income.

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

No, I don’t like that.  The point is we’re all helping the club.  Perhaps it’s just me - I very much believe in the “from each according to his ability, to each according to his need” maxim (within reason!)

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

No dividends are paid to FSS members or anyone. When shares are available to buy FSS money is used to buy shares. (Currently the FSS shareholding is over 25%). 

Q&A with the manager and players is something being explored as part of our member benefits. (If this comes to fruition it would be available to all members) 

One of our other benefits will be getting actioned shortly. 

Edited by Bairn to Believe

16 minutes ago, Bairn to Believe said:

When shares are available to buy FSS money is used to buy shares. (Currently the FSS shareholding is over 25%). 

Not entirely true but let’s not start that debate again. 

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

At the moment the full amount raised is allocated directly to supplement the playing budget now that all the shares have been sold, no dividends are or should ever be paid out to anybody! The full point of the thing is to raise funds for the club (not take money out of it) now that we are fan owned and ran. The FSS is currently the clubs largest shareholder.

Part paid shares have also been ring fenced to ensure the FSS immediately retains its 26% shareholding in the event of any future share issues, a lot of work has been done on this over the last few months and I’m told is due to be announced and formalised in the next FSS announcement. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Slightly off subject, but we (FSS) are now contributing £150K to help the club. Cant help feeling a bit disappointed that after the incredible invincible season, brilliant start to our championship campaign that the numbers haven’t increased in significant numbers. 

also, despite our success on and off the pitch we still lost more than £400k last season.

27 minutes ago, grahamstonbairn said:

also, despite our success on and off the pitch we still lost more than £400k last season.

Personally I think it’s clearer than ever that some sort of external investment will be needed to become the third leg of the stool and make up that deficit. There are not going to be many better circumstances to encourage people to sign up than last season and still the vast majority of supporters have chosen not to do so. Unfortunately, I don’t see FSS membership getting near the 2500-3000 figure mentioned.

Everyone will have their own reasons, but I suspect a good number will simply believe that they are already contributing enough through STs, hospitality, merchandise etc and don’t feel like contributing more for no tangible benefit to them.

We have a really good number of FSS members (especially when the average donation is considered). There are things that can be done around the edges to get some more- I think some way of allowing people to purchase their own shares over time so they get something tangible should be looked at. As mentioned, in my view FSS independence from the board and Patrons is another factor.

Ultimately though, I do feel external investment will be important if we are to get the club to where it can and should be across all areas. I’m sure the board are not closed to that, but compromise on the ‘ideal’ ownership model may be needed.

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Would anyone take Billy McKay as a McIver stopgap if he was released by Inverness?

I think the same rules apply about signing someone even if the club folds, I don't think we can sign anyone that wasn't a free agent at the end of the window can we?

If the rules allowed it, I’d absolutely take him as a short-term signing. He’s got on a bit but he’s still a very intelligent player. 

Edit to add: might be talking shite,  but vaguely seem to recall special dispensation behind given to players to sign for other teams who had lost their job due to admin etc. Would need someone a lot more knowledgeable than me to confirm though.

Edited by 18BAIRN76