The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Two massive away games that if we can get four from six, could this early, put a huge points gap at top of the division. Not so good news about Donaldson from JM , but with Graham we’ve found a brilliant stand in. No doubt we face a tough encounter tomorrow, but PT under huge pressure to get a result. COYB 

We would be in all kinds of trouble without Graham in the side. It's abundantly obvious why McGlynn wanted to bring him in as he fits this team like a glove. Just dawned on me that the boy is only 20, and something we don't talk about much is just how young this team actually is. We have literally one player over the age of 30 in the entire squad. 

I never understand the 'if this is the chat when we're top of the league..my goodness ' point.

That is exactly when you do have chat about the foundation, or the infrastructure,  or the womens team etc.

Because when we're in a Hartley era there's no time for that because we are f**king furious that Reuben Sammut is playing.

Unless people want 20 pages of 'this is great eh' 'aye, magic' 'great game again' which is good but gets a bit samey. 

We know this is an incredible high point. We're enormously grateful. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss elements of the club that could improve (in some people's opinion)

On 08/10/2024 at 22:09, PedroMoutinho said:

Don’t think Miller is anywhere near as effective on the right and he struggled again tonight. Assuming Morrison isn’t fit to start on Saturday, I’d have Agyeman there.

He's not. Everyone can see that, apart from it seems the manager and those people who think the manager always knows best. With Morrison fit for 20 minutes, Alfie should have started on the right.

On 08/10/2024 at 22:09, Tea and Busquets said:

Miller, Agyeman and Shanley were v poor IMO.

As above, Miller hung out to dry on the right, Alfie did okay when he first came on, then he was hung out to dry on the left when Morrison came on. Shanley obviously not good enough last season, so why anybody (the manager) thought he'd be good enough up a level is beyond me.

On 08/10/2024 at 22:52, Reggie Perrin said:

Agyeman was woeful tonight.

As above, hung out to dry by a very poor tactical choice.

On 09/10/2024 at 11:34, HonestAl said:

The loss of Ross MacIver for several weeks will cost us points.

Correct, and every point dropped is on McGlynn. Most of us said in the summer that we needed back-up for him. Either McGlynn somehow thought Shanley would be good enough (he clearly isn't) or that McKenna could fill in (he couldn't at Raith, although to be fair he wasn't the only one who had an off-day), or that Oliver, who stunk the place out at centre-forward in the first 40-odd of his 101 appearances could do it when he can't but is very good in midfield. He didn't need to get someone of MacIver's calibre - they are thin on the ground - but he did need to get a better option than any of those mentioned. I'm in the 'give Alfie a try' camp. He couldn't be any worse than Shanley, who I haven't commented on (even after his Awfulview horror show) before but he really annoyed me on Tuesday. He's spent a year watching MacIver and he should be thinking, what does he do that I don't that will make me better. MacIver's injury should have been the chance for him to say to himself I've got eight weeks to give this everything and show my critics that they're wrong and I do have what it takes. Instead, the first thing he did was get Hendo booked. He failed to track his man, Spencer couldn't bring the boy down on halfway because he had already been booked, so while Spencer berated Shanley for his piss-poor lack of effort, Hendo had to take one for the team and pull the guy back. The weakest link in our squad put two of our best players at risk of suspension. He should have been punted in August (I'd rather have kept Jordan Allan), even on loan , but should definitely be punted in January.

On 09/10/2024 at 13:40, Bigbrbairn said:

I think player exhaustion was the reason. The team had put it a hard shift on Saturday and last night and freshening up was essential with the players he had on the bench

The freshening-up should have taken place from the start. Tait has been below his best for a few games, so Yeats could/should have played from the start. Miller on the right just doesn't do him or us any favours, so with Morrison able to play 20 minutes or whatever, Alfie should have started on the right with Miller or Ross on the right and then swapping after 65-70 minutes as per usual. That McGlynn said in his Thistle preview yesterday that he fears some players could be 'sluggish' today because they've had two hard games is just mental. He chose to give at least three of our players those two hard games when he could have given them a rest - and had a better-balanced team against Livi.

On 09/10/2024 at 19:13, BPM said:

Ever thought they are maybe not ready? Leave that to the manager he knows much better than us what his players can and can’t do and who is up to it if not. 

Speak for yourself. He seems to think Shanley can cut it at this level, for a start, and I was one of many who could see last season that he couldn't/can't. As well as Miller on the right, Alfie on the left, Oliver at centre-forward and all his other stupid choices over the past couple of years.

On 10/10/2024 at 03:08, BPM said:

Yip he does know better than us. The two of them were never getting a game in front of the four wide players we have.

Only three of them were fit. I haven't seen a lot of Honeyman but I have liked what I've seen of him every time. I'd have kept him as an option, which would also have freed Alfie to have a go through the middle as cover for MacIver. I'm not sure it would have worked but I am sure it would have been a better option than some that we have seen tried.

On 10/10/2024 at 07:40, BPM said:

You are not trying to claim that you or I know the game better than McGlynn are you? 

The debate here is you think two untried kids should have got game time because they have looked ok in about a combined 20 minutes of first team action over 2 seasons and I am saying McGlynn knows the players way better than you or I so I will back his judgement not yours. How anyone can judge a player and second guess the manager in the situation is beyond logic. They maybe decent players in time but McGlynn would have had them in the team if he thought they were good enough now. Why would he not? There is your debate. 

You have every right to defer to the opinion of someone else but I'll back my judgement on football against literally anyone. I've been to over 1000 games, from the Juniors to the Champions League and World Cup, and you will have been at as least as many. I honestly don't get why you think we should all just trust the manager, unless you've learned nothing from all the games you've watched. It's like when players-turned-pundits refer to people 'in the game' or 'who have played the game' people to protect their own positions. It's utter nonsense. Football is a simple game - I've never been a chef but I don't need a chef to tell me if my toast is burnt. Serious questions - do you think he's correct to hang players out to dry by playing them in positions that are not natural to them, or that Shanley should be anywhere near our team or, going back, that Oliver was a better option at centre-forward than Burrell? Were you so happy to trust him after he was schooled over a season by James McPake and then humped in the play-off by Airdrie? By all means, give any manager credit where and when he deserves it but you also have to criticise and call them into question when it is merited.

On 10/10/2024 at 12:14, BPM said:

If they were good enough at this point, bearing in mind MCGlynn’s record in recruitment, why would he not play them? If you believe in the manger’s judgement you wouldn’t even raise the subject in the first place. 

As above, with an added 'he signed Ryan Shanley, and Gary Oliver as a lone centre-forward'.

On 10/10/2024 at 18:58, BPM said:

I think he has earned the right to be much more trusted than some seem to. I said all summer for example that he should sign another striker. He chose to extend contracts. He was right as Oliver and Nesbitt doing the switching false 9 but will do fine probably till Maciver is back. 

You were right then and wrong now. 'Will probably do' just doesn't cut it. I also said in the summer that we were a striker short and, in the same post the day after we (unluckily) lost at Ayr, that I didn't fully trust McGlynn, while mentioning that someone else had questioned his subs in that game. The fact that he didn't get adequate cover for MacIver is criminal and every point dropped while he is out (five so far) is on McGlynn. Swinney said on Falkirk Daft before the last League Cup section game that if we got through, that the prize money alone would give us a budget for another player. We've since had a sold-out home match against Hearts and a hefty crowd at Parkhead so the money was there to sign someone and extend contracts, unless there is something in the stuff that was on here last week about the finances not being as healthy as we're being told (I didn't read it all because the politics and behind-the-scenes stuff has never interested me in the slightest). He's still getting his subs and, on Tuesday, his team selection wrong. 

Edited by choirbairn

5 minutes ago, choirbairn said:

He's not. Everyone can see that, apart from it seems the manager and those people who think the manager always knows best. With Morrison fit for 20 minutes, Alfie should have started on the right.

As above, Miller hung out to dry on the right, Alfie did okay when he first came on, then he was hung out to dry on the left when Morrison came on. Shanley obviously not good enough last season, so why anybody (the manager) thought he'd be good enough up a level is beyond me.

Correct, and every point dropped is on McGlynn. Most of us said in the summer that we needed back-up for him. Either McGlynn somehow thought Shanley would be good enough (he clearly isn't) or that McKenna could fill in (he couldn't at Raith, although to be fair he wasn't the only one who had an off-day), or that Oliver, who stunk the place out at centre-forward in the first 40-odd of his 101 appearances could do it when he can't but is very good in midfield. He didn't need to get someone of MacIver's calibre - they are thin on the ground - but he did need to get a better option than any of those mentioned. I'm in the 'give Alfie a try' camp. He couldn't be any worse than Shanley, who I haven't commented on (even after his Awfulview horror show) before but he really annoyed me on Tuesday. He's spent a year watching MacIver and he should be thinking, what does he do that I don't that will make me better. MacIver's injury should have been the chance for him to say to himself I've got eight weeks to give this everything and show my critics that they're wrong and I do have what it takes. Instead, the first thing he did was get Hendo booked. He failed to track his man, Spencer couldn't bring the boy down on halfway because he had already been booked, so while Spencer berated Shanley for his piss-poor lack of effort, Hendo had to take one for the team and pull the guy back. The weakest link in our squad put two of our best players at risk of suspension. He should have been punted in August (I'd rather have kept Jordan Allan), even on loan , but should definitely be punted in January.

The freshening-up should have taken place from the start. Tait has been below his best for a few games, so Yeats could/should have played from the start. Miller on the right just doesn't do him or us any favours, so with Morrison able to play 20 minutes or whatever, Alfie should have started on the right with Miller or Ross on the right and then swapping after 65-70 minutes as per usual. That McGlynn said in his Thistle preview yesterday that he fears some players could be 'sluggish' today because they've had two hard games is just mental. He chose to give at least three of our players those two hard games when he could have given them a rest - and had a better-balanced team against Livi.

Speak for yourself. He seems to think Shanley can cut it at this level, for a start, and I was one of many who could see last season that he couldn't/can't. As well as Miller on the right, Alfie on the left, Oliver at centre-forward and all his other stupid choices over the past couple of years.

Only three of them were fit. I haven't seen a lot of Honeyman but I have liked what I've seen of him every time. I'd have kept him as an option, which would also have freed Alfie to have a go through the middle as cover for MacIver. I'm not sure it would have worked but I am sure it would have been a better option than some that we have seen tried.

You have every right to defer to the opinion of someone else but I'll back my judgement on football against literally anyone. I've been to over 1000 games, from the Juniors to the Champions League and World Cup, and you will have been at as least as many. I honestly don't get why you think we should all just trust the manager, unless you've learned nothing from all the games you've watched. It's like when players-turned-pundits refer to people 'in the game' or 'who have played the game' people to protect their own positions. It's utter nonsense. Football is a simple game - I've never been a chef but I don't need a chef to tell me if my toast is burnt. Serious questions - do you think he's correct to hang players out to dry by playing them in positions that are not natural to them, or that Shanley should be anywhere near our team or, going back, that Oliver was a better option at centre-forward than Burrell? Were you so happy to trust him after he was schooled over a season by James McPake and then humped in the play-off by Airdrie? By all means, give any manager credit where and when he deserves it but you also have to criticise and call them into question when it is merited.

As above, with an added 'he signed Luke Shanley, and Gary Oliver as a lone centre-forward'.

You were right then and wrong now. 'Will probably do' just doesn't cut it. I also said in the summer that we were a striker short and, in the same post the day after we (unluckily) lost at Ayr, that I didn't fully trust McGlynn, while mentioning that someone else had questioned his subs in that game. The fact that he didn't get adequate cover for MacIver is criminal and every point dropped while he is out (five so far) is on McGlynn. Swinney said on Falkirk Daft before the last League Cup section game that if we got through, that the prize money alone would give us a budget for another player. We've since had a sold-out home match against Hearts and a hefty crowd at Parkhead so the money was there to sign someone and extend contracts, unless there is something in the stuff that was on here last week about the finances not being as healthy as we're being told (I didn't read it all because the politics and behind-the-scenes stuff has never interested me in the slightest). He's still getting his subs and, on Tuesday, his team selection wrong. 

I'm guessing that you only get access to the internet once a week? 🤔😋

18 minutes ago, choirbairn said:

As above, with an added 'he signed Luke Shanley, and Gary Oliver as a lone centre-forward'.

Top of the league despite injuries to key players, scoring freely and playing an open attractive style of football, gave celtic a hell of a fright, lost one league game in 45. Are you maybe being a tad over critical?

2 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I never understand the 'if this is the chat when we're top of the league..my goodness ' point.

That is exactly when you do have chat about the foundation, or the infrastructure,  or the womens team etc.

Because when we're in a Hartley era there's no time for that because we are f**king furious that Reuben Sammut is playing.

Unless people want 20 pages of 'this is great eh' 'aye, magic' 'great game again' which is good but gets a bit samey. 

We know this is an incredible high point. We're enormously grateful. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss elements of the club that could improve (in some people's opinion)

The thread over the past week has been repetitive and boring as f, imo.

But each to their own!

29 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I'm guessing that you only get access to the internet once a week? 🤔😋

You're guessing wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Rael Rover said:

Top of the league despite injuries to key players, scoring freely and playing an open attractive style of football, gave celtic a hell of a fright, lost one league game in 45. Are you maybe being a tad over critical?

No. As I explained, credit when it's due and criticism when it's merited rather than just blindly and stupidly saying trust the manager because he knows best. 

9 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Who put 10p in @choirbairn😳

No counter-arguments, though? That says a lot more about you than it does about me ...

12 minutes ago, choirbairn said:

No counter-arguments, though? That says a lot more about you than it does about me ...

Bit over the top with your criticism - we’re top of the league with a game in hand. Hes not hanging players out to dry out on the right - someone has to play on the left that’s Ethan (who’s in red hot form just now), cal has been out and Alfie had just come off a minging couple of games. Aye he done ok for 15 mins against livi but he’s still not as consistent as Calvin. We all agree Calvin’s best position is on the left but at the moment you can’t drop Ross.

re a striker: Burrell scores goals yes but doesn’t fit the way mcglynn wants to play and that will be the difficult part - he’ll be looking for someone who can fit into our system. It’s fine having one guy who’ll score 20 but a guy like Burrell takes away from other players. Last season our front four had over 90 goal contributions between them (goals & assists) - you don’t get that with a Jordan Allan or Burrell.

Spoke with Jamie on Thursday and he confirmed again that the money is there for JM to bring in players. 

Edited by Bairn to Believe

26 minutes ago, Bairn to Believe said:

Bit over the top with your criticism - we’re top of the league with a game in hand. Hes not hanging players out to dry out on the right - someone has to play on the left that’s Ethan (who’s in red hot form just now), cal has been out and Alfie had just come off a minging couple of games. Aye he done ok for 15 mins against livi but he’s still not as consistent as Calvin. We all agree Calvin’s best position is on the left but at the moment you can’t drop Ross.

re a striker: Burrell scores goals yes but doesn’t fit the way mcglynn wants to play and that will be the difficult part - he’ll be looking for someone who can fit into our system. It’s fine having one guy who’ll score 20 but a guy like Burrell takes away from other players. Last season our front four had over 90 goal contributions between them (goals & assists) - you don’t get that with a Jordan Allan or Burrell.

Spoke with Jamie on Thursday and he confirmed again that the money is there for JM to bring in players. 

Yeah, the Miller criticism is well harsh. He's effectively being played out of position. Miller's choices are to play on the right or sit on the bench because, as you say, Ross has been on fire this season and simply can't be dropped. Can Ross play on the right though, I wonder?

I actually think McGlynn is being really sensible here RE the striker position. Bringing someone in for the sake of it would placate the fans, but what's the point if they aren't good enough or don't fit into the system that you want to play? 

1 hour ago, choirbairn said:

As above, with an added 'he signed Ryan Shanley, and Gary Oliver as a lone centre-forward'.

Please stop making these ridiculously long posts just because your parole terms only allow you to access the library internet on a Saturday morning.  It means it takes longer for me to scroll past and ignore your nonsense opinions.

Hate to see us where Dunfermline have been for two seasons losing over £1m/year. 
I will happily back McGlynns judgement. It is not as if he has only lost one league game in 46 or anything stupid like that. 

1 hour ago, choirbairn said:

When McGlynn goes I would get your CV into JS. You are Clearly a strong candidate to replace him.