The Falkirk FC Thread

Ross signing is a great bit of work by the manager and club. He's a young lad full of promise and talent, hopefully he can get more game time and show what he can do. 

Everyone seems happy enough with Ross signing, but I'm not so sure - he doesn't improve the starting eleven. Of course it was important to retain the majority of last season's squad. But a lot of our squad haven't exactly excelled in the championship when they previously played there. This is a position I think we could have tried something a bit different, take a chance on a freed youngster from a big club or a random foreign chap. to try and improve the first team.  We know what Ross can do, and so do all our opponents in this league, this was a chance to roll the dice, We have Miller -  Nesbitt and McCann could fill in this position if needed 

2 minutes ago, Blane Fonda said:

Everyone seems happy enough with Ross signing, but I'm not so sure - he doesn't improve the starting eleven. Of course it was important to retain the majority of last season's squad. But a lot of our squad haven't exactly excelled in the championship when they previously played there. This is a position I think we could have tried something a bit different, take a chance on a freed youngster from a big club or a random foreign chap. to try and improve the first team.  We know what Ross can do, and so do all our opponents in this league, this was a chance to roll the dice, We have Miller -  Nesbitt and McCann could fill in this position if needed 

Your post lost all credibility when you said McCann can fill this position

Just now, Blane Fonda said:

An attacking left back could not play as an attacking left midfielder- really?

Yes really. Totally different positions and most attempts at this have failed

Euan Cameron is a fanny. Somebody who appears to get incandescent with rage over our Twitter feed output too.

I was a big fan on Ethan Ross to begin with, as a direct, hit the byline winger, but McGlynn played him as a number 10 frequently (actually almost exclusively) in his final season with us, which isn’t his best position, then he’s shine really faded in the difficult post Goodwillie months and he really struggled to make an impact in our first season under Murray too (20 league apps, 1 goal). I’m sure he played most of that season with chronic hip pain though, it was mentions on here he’s got bone rubbing on bone in one of his joints or something, which might explain his limited minutes, a shame as he’s clearly got something, he turned down a contract with Aberdeen and had been training with English Championship sides the summer before he rejoined us. He just, unfortunately, never justified his “highest earner” label at the club.

40 minutes ago, Blane Fonda said:

I do think some of the adulation for a player who was not a starter last season is a bit over the top- I can’t see Ross displacing Miller given what he brings to the team.

That said, it’s a decent squad signing provided he is on squad player wages. Still only 22 so time to develop and McGlynn has said he’s looking for more end product from him.

The 1 year deal makes sense too for me.

57 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Yes really. Totally different positions and most attempts at this have failed

Just one of the top 5 players of the past decade Gareth Bale and two of the biggest possible signings summer to the EPL in Dezel Dumfries and Frimpong all can and have played at full-back. midfield and winger.

McCann could easily play left midfield-  if we play any of the Old Firm in the cup, he should play there with Mackie at left back.

18 minutes ago, Blane Fonda said:

Just one of the top 5 players of the past decade Gareth Bale and two of the biggest possible signings summer to the EPL in Dezel Dumfries and Frimpong all can and have played at full-back. midfield and winger.

McCann could easily play left midfield-  if we play any of the Old Firm in the cup, he should play there with Mackie at left back.

Dont think Mccann is quite at the level of those mentioned.

Posted (edited)

Having squad depth will be far more important this season than any in league one and Ross provides a more than sufficient back up for Miller. We do not want to be in a position in the championship where we are in fear of subbing on an out of position McCann???? to replace Miller. Having the confidence to know if we need a sub that we have Ethan Ross is exactly what we need of a Championship team. Now just need similar back ups for Col Donaldson, a Liam Henderson type and Ross McIver. Everyone else's position is covered well imo.

Edited by Jimmy1876

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Was a great player who was always a hundred percenter

And an absolute nutjob. Hope he does well.

2 hours ago, Blane Fonda said:

What a pile of clueless shite this is.

1 hour ago, Blane Fonda said:

So the level of players you are talking about are completely different to what we have. Gareth Bale was a winger who then got played left back by Tottenham before giving him his chance again on the left wing. 

Also, I don’t know if you’ve noticed but we don’t play a left midfielder. We play a left winger. I know you’ll say there is no difference but there is a massive difference between the two positions

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Having squad depth will be far more important this season than any in league one and Ross provides a more than sufficient back up for Miller. We do not want to be in a position in the championship where we are in fear of subbing on an out of position McCann???? to replace Miller. Having the confidence to know if we need a sub that we have Ethan Ross is exactly what we need of a Championship team. Now just need similar back ups for Col Donaldson, a Liam Henderson type and Ross McIver. Everyone else's position is covered well imo.

The squad depth point is crucial to me. I’ve no idea how we’ll do, whether we’ll storm it, challenge, compete, consolidate, survive or struggle. At full strength, I think we’ll at least compete.

Dunfermline last season is however a template for what happens when injuries pile up.  We got to the end of last season undefeated despite injuries, but only by a wee curly ginger one. Better sides will do damage. In that context, Ross is a good signing and I hope there’s room for a couple more. 

Edited by StuartA

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Was a great player who was always a hundred percenter

Remember a Dundee United game at Tannadice. Paddy Gregg ran about like a blue touchpaper looking for a light.

Stood no nonsense on the park and I suspect as a manager he will do the same.

Best of luck to him.

2 hours ago, Blane Fonda said:

I love Leon but Jesus Christ 😂.