The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely interested to see how you get on this season, and Calumn Morrison in particular.

One who arguably has top flight talent hasn't really shown it consistently? Its a bit surprised hes only 24 though, tbh.

The league seems so tight every season that 2-3 wins in a row has folk dreaming of the title, then 2-3 games without a win has you at the bottom fearing relegation, so expecting to see plenty of "leagues a piece of piss/our squad is shit" sequences.

I think you’re right, I can see the Fickleometer buzzing all season for many clubs. You’ve alluded to something that gives me heart though, Morrison’s age. Similar for many of the rest of our squad who may have been written off a bit when they were younger still.

McKenna is the only player over 30. Leon McCann and Alfie also 24, Tequila, Allan and Mackie 25, Lang and Miller are 26, Nesbitt 27, Spencer, Oliver and Hendo 28, Coll 29.  Then a crop of younger players like Yeats, Adams, Shanley, Hogarth and Ross. Hopefully Tait still to come  

I still think Raith are the team to beat, and maybe Plastic Whistle.  Ayr, Livi and QP are hard to guess but have cash. Airdrie are losing players but have a good manager and a bit of heart, Dunfermline are cursed by dodgy ownership and Morton just doomed.  Hamilton fans hate their club and utterly deserted them last season, but Accies still made it up so I have an odd feeling they’ll shock a few folk.

Edited by StuartA

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So if you don’t think he is ‘off’ sufficient quality does that mean you think he is good enough for the league then?

It was only hours ago you said he was ‘crap’.

Make your mind up ffs.

What's an extra 'f' between rivals? 

I don't think he's of sufficient quality for this league. He couldn't get a game for us. Good luck to the guy though. 

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

On a side note, new five year sponsorship deal with William Hill.

No financials released but “best ever deal”

A few paragraphs in and had a chuckle. Pity they didn’t consult the 42 teams about the pitches.

”In addition to becoming league sponsor, the company becomes the SPFL's official betting partner and will work with EPIC Global Solutions – a global consultancy focused on gambling harm prevention – to launch a multi-year, "first-of-its-kind" programme on gambling harm awareness for SPFL players, staff and supporters.

Workshops will be held across all 42 SPFL clubs to educate players and backroom staff on the dangers of gambling harm in the elite sports environment along with sessions for supporters and community groups.

From the people who brought us the "aw but top leagues don't play on astroturf" pish! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65260002

Top leagues recognise the harm that gambling can cause and understand the direction of travel on this.

Hope there are plans for O’Neill’s to release a different retro range every season. Clearly a good earner as they sold like hot cakes. Not my favourite strip but I would love to see the checkerboard strip coming out, it’s so different I think it would sell really well. I’ve got a wee signed pic of Chris Waddle wearing it. I mind at the time we got a lot of piss taking over it but I have a soft spot for it and would definitely buy it.

19 hours ago, Rabbie Bairns said:

I have seen some people suggesting we're after Robbie Mutch, surely can't be true?

Again we have a deal with an uanannounced club to take a keeper on loan. The reason I say this will be available on Tuesday (not a signing). Oooh there's a bit of a teaser......

21 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Again we have a deal with an uanannounced club to take a keeper on loan. The reason I say this will be available on Tuesday (not a signing). Oooh there's a bit of a teaser......

So we are announcing a loan keeper on Tuesday ?

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Hope there are plans for O’Neill’s to release a different retro range every season. Clearly a good earner as they sold like hot cakes. Not my favourite strip but I would love to see the checkerboard strip coming out, it’s so different I think it would sell really well. I’ve got a wee signed pic of Chris Waddle wearing it. I mind at the time we got a lot of piss taking over it but I have a soft spot for it and would definitely buy it.

Not at all sure this would be popular but I would buy it! Certainly some memories (good and bad) around that one and the red away/cup strip.

13 hours ago, StuartA said:

I think you’re right, I can see the Fickleometer buzzing all season for many clubs. You’ve alluded to something that gives me heart though, Morrison’s age. Similar for many of the rest of our squad who may have been written off a bit when they were younger still.

McKenna is the only player over 30. Leon McCann and Alfie also 24, Tequila, Allan and Mackie 25, Lang and Miller are 26, Nesbitt 27, Spencer, Oliver and Hendo 28, Coll 29.  Then a crop of younger players like Yeats, Adams, Shanley, Hogarth and Ross. Hopefully Tait still to come  

I still think Raith are the team to beat, and maybe Plastic Whistle.  Ayr, Livi and QP are hard to guess but have cash. Airdrie are losing players but have a good manager and a bit of heart, Dunfermline are cursed by dodgy ownership and Morton just doomed.  Hamilton fans hate their club and utterly deserted them last season, but Accies still made it up so I have an odd feeling they’ll shock a few folk.

What makes you believe us Hamilton fans hate our club and "utterly deserted" them last season? Such a bizarre claim.

3 minutes ago, shanehafc said:

What makes you believe us Hamilton fans hate our club and "utterly deserted" them last season? Such a bizarre claim.

How many attended your playoff games?

3 minutes ago, shanehafc said:

Evidence. The anger on show in the podcasts and at the ground despite you being easily second all season. The mad plunge in home crowds to the low hundreds. And general online commentary. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

How many attended your playoff games?

Our core fanbase attended the playoff games.

Teams can't use our small support as a stick to beat us with and then also use it as evidence we deserted the team.

We've either got a small support or we desert them - can't be both.

There are individuals within our club we despise, however, that is true.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Teams can't use our small support as a stick to beat us with and then also use it as evidence we deserted the team.

"Totally agree. Using our poor numbers and support to back up a claim that we deserted our team is absurd, and claiming we hate our club for criticism online is mental. Falkirk, of all teams, should know that, considering they did the exact same as us on podcasts, etc., when they were doing poorly in their five-year stay in League One."

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

On a completely aside albeit with a link to your attendances, I didn’t know until today that Hamilton was the 4th biggest town in Scotland.

It’s not mental. The fact is that Accies had a whiff of the Falkirk Hartley/Sheerin era about them last season mainly due to the rapid reduction in fans and the visceral anger of those who stayed. It was striking, and many other fans thought it was an overreaction, as proven by Rankin getting a decent squad through the play-offs. 

1 minute ago, StuartA said:

It’s not mental. The fact is that Accies had a whiff of the Falkirk Hartley/Sheerin era about them last season mainly due to the rapid reduction in fans and the visceral anger of those who stayed. It was striking, and many other fans thought it was an overreaction, as proven by Rankin getting a decent squad through the play-offs. 

It's genuinely more nuanced than that tbh. And I wouldn't expect anyone looking in from the outside to fully grasp it. A deep rooted hatred of the neglect and managed decline of the club over the last 8 or so years.

Hopefully with the turnover behind the scenes we can start to get some stability and re-establish ourselves as a top half Championship side who make the occasional foray into the playoffs / title challenge.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

On a completely aside albeit with a link to your attendances, I didn’t know until today that Hamilton was the 4th biggest town in Scotland.

It's huge. We really suffer from being so close to Glasgow and even Motherwell - established and successful Premier League sides. Being homeless when the TV era really kicked off had a damaging impact as well.

27 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are not mutually exclusive.

Your already low attendances fell off a cliff in the space of a couple of months.

Hamilton Academical      5             -              0             Queen of the South          Queen of the South

HT 3-0

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONESaturday 2 December 2023 15:00

VenueNew Douglas Park Attendance1,279 RefereeLloyd Wilson

Hamilton Academical      1             -              1             Kelty Hearts        Kelty Hearts

HT 0-0

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONESaturday 23 December 2023 15:00

VenueNew Douglas Park Attendance1,287 RefereeColin Whyte

Hamilton Academical      2             -              0             Cove Rangers     Cove Rangers

HT 1-0

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONESaturday 13 January 2024 15:00

VenueNew Douglas Park Attendance771 RefereeRoss Hardie

Hamilton Academical      1             -              1             Montrose            Montrose

HT 1-0

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONESaturday 27 January 2024 15:00

VenueNew Douglas Park Attendance778 RefereeCalum Scott