The Falkirk FC Thread

I posted this on the Facebook group, but here's a quick question. On the opening day of 2007/08 we thumped Gretna 4-0 and went to the top of the SPL. Is this the one and only time we have been at the top of the pyramid?

I was checking the line-ups for the Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth Argyle game today and no Will Vaulks. I did a bit of Googling and he's signed for Oxford United and helped them beat Norwich City yesterday. I am not usually keen on signing players for a second time after they have left but I would have Will back in a heartbeat.

A great player and a great man.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Anyone else look at the rest of the clubs in this league and for once feel we have the stability we needed for years then you look at this situations at

QP - Lesser Hampden caper,
Raith - sacking Murray after 90 mins of the season,
Airdrie - Uncertainty around McCabe possibly being approached by Raith and the humping by Ayr,
Livvy _ Just for being Livvy
Accies - Players not getting paid and new strip fiasco.

Dunfermline - Boardroom, Manager and team

You look at that and think thank f**k its not us anymore.

As a club, Ayr look particularly strong this season but you get the impression they're only a premiership sacking away from losing Brown* and the turmoil that would follow.

*Hiya, Hibs.

26 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I posted this on the Facebook group, but here's a quick question. On the opening day of 2007/08 we thumped Gretna 4-0 and went to the top of the SPL. Is this the one and only time we have been at the top of the pyramid?

This was the highest I can ever mind Falkirk after a decent number of games had been played. Almost half of a 34 game season. The next match we lost away to Aberdeen 1-0 on a rock hard pitch. ( Ball bounced off said bone hard pitch and hit John Markie on the elbow, ref was a guy Davidson from Airdrie who hated Falkirk.  Falkirk took a big support to the match, Special Trains were regularly mode of transport. Jesus I’m getting old.

IMG_0209.png

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Were we not 3rd with about 3 or 4 games to go as recently as 1995?

We were there or thereabouts I'm sure, ended up finishing 5th

11 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

This was the highest I can ever mind Falkirk after a decent number of games had been played. Almost half of a 34 game season. The next match we lost away to Aberdeen 1-0 on a rock hard pitch. ( Ball bounced off said bone hard pitch and hit John Markie on the elbow, ref was a guy Davidson from Airdrie who hated Falkirk.  Falkirk took a big support to the match, Special Trains were regularly mode of transport. Jesus I’m getting old.

IMG_0209.png

The sequel to this is Aberdeen blew the league by only taking 4 points from 8 in their last four games including Falkirk beating them 1-0 at Brockville, in Aberdeens last game of the seasonIMG_0210.thumb.png.1c2538d605d931cbd27bfb348a97a03d.png

image.thumb.png.de5a90c0f9ede7f352f5a75e487fa4c6.png

Yep. 2 games to go and sitting third.

LDL to finish meant we were 5th by the end and... we know what happened thereafter. Perhaps a warning how quickly things can go south if you are not careful.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

37 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We were there or thereabouts I'm sure, ended up finishing 5th

Think that was the season we lost to Aberdeen in the 'split playoff' match where the winners got into the 'big boys end of season split'

Pretty sure it made a big difference to our prize money losing that game.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

1 minute ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Think that was the season we lost to Aberdeen in the 'split playoff' match where the winners got into the 'big boys end of season split'

No there was no split back then. Aberdeen won to avoid relegation, putting DU down by winning their last 3 matches.

The split game was in 07 or 08 where we lost 2v1 at Pittodrie.

7 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Nah that was much later.

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No there was no split back then. Aberdeen won to avoid relegation, putting DU down by winning their last 3 matches.

The split game was in 07 or 08 where we lost 2v1 at Pittodrie.

The split game was 2008 as I worked beside Ross Wilson's then girlfriend for 6 months at that time. I remember speaking with her about it the next day

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I was checking the line-ups for the Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth Argyle game today and no Will Vaulks. I did a bit of Googling and he's signed for Oxford United and helped them beat Norwich City yesterday. I am not usually keen on signing players for a second time after they have left but I would have Will back in a heartbeat.

A great player and a great man.

When will we be paying 10k/week soon? 

1 minute ago, JS_FFC said:

Wasn’t Aberdeen’s winner assisted by a cut back that looked miles over the line for a goal kick? Wish they had VAR back then 

Yeah.

I used to live in Aberdeen and just wanted them to get a result at Pitttodrie once! If we'd drawn that we were top 6.

If I mind right we hadn't won at Pittodrie since 1957/58. We only managed it in our relegation season! 2009/2010

Remember us being told that our Academy wasn’t producing players when it was closed? 
Well about the 17th who was in our academy at the time made his first team debut yesterday. Gabriel Forsyth played for Norwich yesterday making his debut at 18.