The Falkirk FC Thread

At the end of the day, if M&S are in pole position and offered silly money (and watertight contacts) it’s difficult for the club to financially compete. Old and ugly enough to remember Jeffries & McCall departing. After a brilliant invincibles season, and a great start in the championship, just hope M&S appreciate where we are going.

There’s not a chance McGlynn leaves us for St.Johnstone. I’d put good money on it.

For a start, he owes it to the board for showing faith in him when plenty of us (myself included) would’ve had him sacked immediately after the Airdrie debacle. But more importantly, I get the impression this is the most enjoyable time of McGlynn’s career with us right now. He’s idolised by the fans for what he’s already achieved, and he’s built a team who would literally run through a brick wall for him. I think he sees the potential for the club to grow even further and wants to be a part of that. He recognises what a fantastic support we have and never fails to show his appreciation towards the fans (and in particular, the Ultras). I’ve seen bigger crowds at the juniors than at McDairmid Park.

If this was Hearts or Dundee Utd, I’d be slightly concerned. But St.Johnstone? Not a chance.

Hopefully M&S appreciate that the grass isn't always greener on the other side - However, I won't be surprised IF this rumour picks up pace after Sunday's game 🙁.

Take the point about McCall but I'm old enough to remember him committing to us and then being off! 😠

2 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

There’s not a chance McGlynn leaves us for St.Johnstone. I’d put good money on it.

For a start, he owes it to the board for showing faith in him when plenty of us (myself included) would’ve had him sacked immediately after the Airdrie debacle. But more importantly, I get the impression this is the most enjoyable time of McGlynn’s career with us right now. He’s idolised by the fans for what he’s already achieved, and he’s built a team who would literally run through a brick wall for him. I think he sees the potential for the club to grow even further and wants to be a part of that. He recognises what a fantastic support we have and never fails to show his appreciation towards the fans (and in particular, the Ultras). I’ve seen bigger crowds at the juniors than at McDairmid Park.

If this was Hearts or Dundee Utd, I’d be slightly concerned. But St.Johnstone? Not a chance.

I agree, if John was a young manager I think his head could maybe be turned by money but I don’t think that would be his main motivation. He’s 62/63, building something at Falkirk and if he stayed with us you could see him retiring in a few years and moving upstairs as a club legend in an Alex Totten type role. Plus if he stays there is a fair chance we could be swapping places with them come the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree, if John was a young manager I think his head could maybe be turned by money but I don’t think that would be his main motivation. He’s 62/63, building something at Falkirk and if he stayed with us you could see him retiring in a few years and moving upstairs as a club legend in an Alex Totten type role. Plus if he stays there is a fair chance we could be swapping places with them come the end of the season.

Could also say 62/63 he’s maybe got one eye on his pension pot and money might sway him. He’s been in the game long enough to know you love when your stock is high. He, more than anybody else, will know how quickly your reputation can change for the better/worse.

1 hour ago, Higgenarse said:

Bookies making Mcglynn favourite, this is bollocks.  He wants to manage in the Premier league but even if he wanted to St Johnstone can't afford him. Even if they found the money they would have to pay money for any player Mcglynn wanted to take with him 

Being interviewed tomorrow afternoon. 

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Jeffries.& McCall 

Both were young managers at the time and had ambitions. Jeffries was a Hearts man and found the lure of managing them too much. McCall would have wanted to test himself at a bigger club. McGlynn is, what, 62? He wants to manage in the Premier but I think he'd like to do that with us and may see that as the pinnacle of his career before retirement?

Money, of course, is a big incentive and Jeffries would have been on much more with Hearts than he was with us and McCall was paid silly money to go to Dundee Utd. However, St Johnstone would have to pay us a substantial fee and offer McGlynn much more than we're paying him for him to even consider it. I'm not sure that Saints are now in a financial position to do that? That plus he'd be starting again to an extent with a new bunch of players.

It could happen of course, hopefully it won't though!

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

McGlynn is, what, 62? He wants to manage in the Premier but I think he'd like to do that with us and may see that as the pinnacle of his career before retirement?

McGlynn would back himself on being able to keep St Johnstone up though. Promotion with Falkirk is no guarantee, despite it looking good bet right now.

Edited by Enigma

28 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

How on earth can you compare Dundee United and Hearts to st Johnstone?! Other than them being in the same division these situations are completely incomparable! Dundee United were blowing other clubs in Scotland away money wise at that time with Eddie Thomson bankrolling everything and Hearts are the 3rd biggest club in the country with the fan base and budget to match. St Johnstone have none of these advantages to offer and are now bookies favourites to be relegated! 

Both managers fcked off when the £ was agreed. 

Folk comparing St Johnstone and they’re 200 season ticket holders to a Hearts or an Eddie Thomson back Dundee United are border line clueless to be honest, surely the lack of comparison is totally obvious to anybody paying any attention whatsoever to the workings of Scottish football. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

8 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Time will tell, but I would think Scott Brown would be a more attractive option for St Johnstone than McGlynn.

He’ll probably be waiting for the Hibs job, doubt he’ll have too long to wait either.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Both managers fcked off when the £ was agreed. 

Yes, considerably bigger clubs with way more fan base/potential and money, clubs who were targeting 3rd place finishes and European football came in, offered more money and took our manager, that part makes sense! You are still missing the point however! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Yes, considerably bigger clubs with way more fan base and money than Falkirk who were targeting 3rd place finishes and European football came in, offered more money and took our manager, that part makes sense! You are still missing the point however! 

Not missing any point mate.