The Falkirk FC Thread

39 minutes ago, BPM said:

6-8 weeks is not Christmas and who is muting that wages are an issue? Some random poster on P&B? I am with the club not to pay stupid money. Surely we have all learned from Griffiths? 

Add 4 - 5 weeks after injury is healed to work back up to 1st team fitness and sharpness means xmas.

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Yeah could well be. Free agents can sign whenever so could be waiting a while for that to happen, but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what we were holding out on 

Had a look through my records and I think the last free agents we signed outwith a transfer window were Prince Buaben & Mustapha Dumbuya in Oct/Nov 2018. I think it's fair to say neither was a success. 

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Add 4 - 5 weeks after injury is healed to work back up to 1st team fitness and sharpness means xmas.

Usually when you get a timeline in football it includes the recovery

Would some kind of emergency loan not be the best option for Falkirk to cover MacIver's absence just now? Assuming the situation meets the relevant criteria.

Could sign better quality as it's short term only - e.g. might suit a Premiership player returning from injury and looking for games or someone not in the parent club's plans but needs to be fit/in the shop window.

24 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

So who starts on Saturday? Oliver or Shanley?

Got to be Oliver for me. He’s a very different player to Maciver but much more clinical.

Nothing against Shanley but for me he has had more than enough chances and think we all know he is well off championship standard. Think it is a bit unfair on the player to expect him to come in and perform at this level, especially as he’s not getting much game time to develop.

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Injuries don't have a specific time, I thought McGlynn was being coy with his estimated 8 weeks, so hopefully it's less.

Nesbitt was a 2 - 3 week estimate end of July and hasn't started a game since.

I'd like a loan in but it has to be the right one, no point bringing in a Matthew Wright who is now on the books of Nairn

Do you know what I think?

I think we’d have signed another striker weeks ago if one had been available.

The fact we haven’t means that there wasn’t one who is any better than what we have.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’d like someone else in but if it doesn’t happen I would give Shanley a run, I’m not for one minute saying he’s the answer but he looked better in the position on Saturday than McKenna. Who knows how he would be if he got a couple of goals.

Exactly - time to give the lad a chance over a couple of games and a goal might set him off. Stenny was a bit of a disaster but it was just one game. The bosses must have seen something in him, although he was signed initially to compete in league 1. 

6 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

The fact we haven’t means that there wasn’t one who is any better than what we have.

Exactly 

If Morrison is back then I think it’ll end up being Alfie that plays in the centre forward role but if not then I wouldn’t move Alfie away from RW.

The one option I’ve not seen mentioned is to play Aidan Nesbitt as a “false nine” given how well Yeats played at Parkhead. Him dropping deep and giving us an extra man in the midfield would create space in behind for Alfie and Calvin Miller to cut into the box.

Hogarth 

Adams - Coll/Graham - Hendo - Mackie

Spencer - Yeats - Tait

Alfie - Nesbitt - Miller

12 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

The Maciver injury has moved the goalposts 

We saw last season with Long that the loan club wants the player to have game time, it's never as straightforward with loans like it used to be.

I personally would start with Oliver if the choice is him or Shanley, Id like to give Agyeman a go there but I don't think McGlynn will

32 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Agree with this, but would also argue that our main striker getting injured for an unknown - potentially somewhat lengthy - period of time changes the situation considerably. 

Moot point now however, as it would appear we're not getting anyone in. Only time will tell if that was a mistake or not. Fingers crossed some combination of Shanley/Oliver/McKenna/Alfie can do the job until MacIver returns.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

We're in the same boat as you with Vaughan out unitl January. Apart from Hamilton we have Jamieson from St Murn who hasn't excited us any more than you are with  Oliver or Shanley. Half the Championship are desperate for a CF. Morton are so desperate that they've  just taken a Serb under 21 on loan from Motherwell whose fans think he's mince.

As someone rightly said free agents are free for a reason, and they won't be up to fitness. The quailty just isn't available  for our budgets.