The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Losing MacIver has been a big blow but the heads gone is quite something to behold.

The majority of our goals have come from midfield and defenders. The 1st (and only) game without him we didn't score but I wouldn't say it was solely because we didn't have MacIver available.

MacIver enables it

It would have been a lot bigger punch in the guy if one of our rivals had signed a forward last night but it appears not so quite obviously there isnt many strikers on the market. Hopefully mcglynn can get shanley playing better . He must do enough in training surely to get him starts now and again.

38 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think Maciver has played a big part in that though with his link up play and general contribution to the team.

31 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

MacIver enables it

I think familiarity has made us arrive at that conclusion - Reckon it just needs others to find their rhythm like MacIver did.

Not a massive fan of McKenna but not willing to write him off yet. Will take time for the understanding to come whether it's him or Shanley. Oliver for me is a Nesbitt/Tait backup.

3 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I think familiarity has made us arrive at that conclusion - Reckon it just needs others to find their rhythm like MacIver did.

Not a massive fan of McKenna but not willing to write him off yet. Will take time for the understanding to come whether it's him or Shanley. Oliver for me is a Nesbitt/Tait backup.

Not a coincidence the match we lose MacIver we dont have a shot on target IMO

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

They just signed a striker on loan though... 😬

Exactly no sympathy whatsoever if they go into admin shortly if they are still signing players despite being in that position. 

2 hours ago, Captain Chugwash said:

You're waffling now to be honest. What I can comprehend is that we have two/three options who can play up front currently. When you need goals, slapping a rookie defender up top in this league is probably not the way to go. I guess John McGlynn also can't comprehend football based on your logic. Why don't we stick Jamie Sneddon up front? He'd surely be an unknown quantity to Championship defenders!

You just don't understand or just unwilling to accept what happens in football. 

Take for example Stevie Archibald an up-and-coming central defender at Clyde. Billy McNeil the manager tried him at centre forward and it worked, the rest is history. There are plenty other examples of positional changes between, defender, midfield and forwards and the other way round and in-between.

If you don't think squads don't try position changes with young players then that's up to you.

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

You just don't understand or just unwilling to accept what happens in football. 

Take for example Stevie Archibald an up-and-coming central defender at Clyde. Billy McNeil the manager tried him at centre forward and it worked, the rest is history. There are plenty other examples of positional changes between, defender, midfield and forwards and the other way round and in-between.

If you don't think squads don't try position changes with young players then that's up to you.

I am very aware of what happens in football. This is a completely isolated incident which, in my opinion, doesn't make any sense at all. It was a ridiculous suggestion under the circumstances and you're clearly waffling about unique instances from history to cover your red neck. I'm not going to pay attention to any more of your drivel but hopefully someone else on this forum can appreciate your tactical genius.

27 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

The amount of knicker wetting on here is hilarious.  We’ve lost one game in 44 guys.

I think the fact that the loss was our most recent game, rather than 20 or 30 games ago in a run of 44 has coloured opinions.

The only thing more tedious than people who wait to criticise at the slightest thing are folk who accuse others of “knicker wetting” when there generally is none. If you want to see “heads gone”, see this thread post-Airdrie play-off. The discussion on here the last couple of days has been pretty measured tbh.

47 minutes ago, Captain Chugwash said:

I am very aware of what happens in football. This is a completely isolated incident which, in my opinion, doesn't make any sense at all. It was a ridiculous suggestion under the circumstances and you're clearly waffling about unique instances from history to cover your red neck. I'm not going to pay attention to any more of your drivel but hopefully someone else on this forum can appreciate your tactical genius.

How can you not see the relevance of a tactical decision taken in the mid 1970’s when a guy was converted from a defender and ended up being a world class striker at one of the biggest clubs in the world ?

56 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Not a coincidence the match we lose MacIver we dont have a shot on target IMO

Agreed. MacIver was a big loss on Saturday and McKenna, while he tried, was really ineffective. 

Shanley was the better of the two as he actually challenged defenders and won a few headers. 

Not convinced either are the overall answer though and, as others have said, it’s the only position we don’t have a like-for-like replacement which is a concern given the role is so crucial to our overall system. 

1 hour ago, Captain Chugwash said:

Oh whatever! you're contradicting yourself now.

Saying that the option of Adams up front would be a non-starter and never considered while acknowledging such things happen in football.

No debating with you when you make a statement arguing with your point of view in once sentence. That's not verbal gymnastics, its being a contortionist.

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Both McKenna and Jack Hamilton were standouts at Arbroath where they had a robust style of play, whereas they haven't settled well in sides with a fast passing style. Hamilton is starting to settle into our style now, maybe McKenna will acclimatise  too.

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Maciver has started virtually every one of our 43 game run.