The Falkirk FC Thread

Spoke to Graham Carbis at length recently and it’s an opportunity that was too good to turn down. He’s not doing anything that we all wouldn’t do. But I will say he’s absolutely loved his time at the club and as someone who has dealt with him a lot (insert hospitality jokes here) it’s a shame for everyone he’s moving on but sometimes a job comes up that you can’t say no to. Very confident in Jamie Swinney getting someone in that will be as good a replacement however since he hired both Graham’s in the 1st place. 

3 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The key point for me is that there is much more benefit in young players going out and playing regularly than sitting on our bench or in the stand. Honeyman and Walker will be in a much better position to challenge for a place having done that than if they had stayed and maybe got 10 minutes in cup games.

Equally, I think players should only be in the first team if they are ready and good enough. We shouldn’t be weakening the team purely because someone is an academy graduate. I think that’s something that went slightly astray under previous regimes.

I actually think a benefit of the current academy set up is that there’s less pressure to throw in players who aren’t ready to justify the huge sums of money being spent and try to recover it through selling players.

Giving young players first team experience. The well-tried template is when you have them on the bench and the game is well won. Put them on for the last 20 minutes. Minimal risk but big gains it's a no brainer.

In terms of the commercial side of things I don't think there is much chance of the guys poaching the business away as I think that most people who sponsor a football club do it because of their connection to the club as much as any real advertising or commercial opportunity.

3 hours ago, BPM said:

But that is my point to the original poster about these two kids. If they were good enough at this point, bearing in mind MCGlynn’s record in recruitment, why would he not play them? Why has he sent out on loan? If you believe in the manger’s judgement you wouldn’t even raise the subject in the first place. 

Funny how you can get accused of going on about an argument when you just respond to questions yet you decide to leave it and you're still trying to continue it.  

This is why I can’t be bothered discussing football on here as it’s all subjective however, like most things, if you have a difference of opinion then you’re wrong. 

Why doesn’t McGlynn play this formation- don’t you think the manager knows best?

Why does X get a game- don’t you think the manager knows best?

Clearly most managers know better than all of us, so what’s the point discussing anything football related. 

Edited by Dade

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

It is allowed. I have a years non compete in mine. Can’t work for a competitor, solicit current customers or staff from my place for 12 months after leaving. 

Non enforceable in court. Also, govt looking to reduce these to a maximum of 3 months.

Just been through a court case on the same subject. 

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

It is allowed. I have a years non compete in mine. Can’t work for a competitor, solicit current customers or staff from my place for 12 months after leaving. 

Sounds awful important for someone who eats toast out the fridge tbh. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Giving young players first team experience. The well-tried template is when you have them on the bench and the game is well won. Put them on for the last 20 minutes. Minimal risk but big gains it's a no brainer.

I agree. Up to mid March, Rhys Walker had 1 goal contribution less for Falkirk than Ethan Ross despite having only gained 26 minutes.

Not sure that meant he was ready but if we could have had a 17 year old making contributions to the 1st team then he’d become a lot more valuable asset to us than playing in the Juniors. Even just giving him to January to see how things go would have given him an opportunity and saved us some cash. 

Anyway, seems there is little point debating it. 

1 hour ago, Dade said:

I agree. Up to mid March, Rhys Walker had 1 goal contribution less for Falkirk than Ethan Ross despite having only gained 26 minutes.

Not sure that meant he was ready but if we could have had a 17 year old making contributions to the 1st team then he’d become a lot more valuable asset to us than playing in the Juniors. Even just giving him to January to see how things go would have given him an opportunity and saved us some cash. 

Anyway, seems there is little point debating it. 

Clearly the manager doesn’t agree as he put the lads out on loan 

5 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I think with many businesses they have something in the contract which means that the employee leaving can't approach any of their old clients for a period of time, say 6 months or so, so that the new employee in that role has time to meet with the clients to try and get their own relationship established. Not saying that it works all the time mind. I had a clause like this in my contract for a previous role but I was working abroad so maybe this wouldn't be allowed in the UK.

Good point - I would trust Falkirk will have these in their contracts 

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Most companies do have this as a standard covenant, however it most cases it’s just a delay for the individual approaching previous contacts. As posted it’s all about getting in someone equally as good or better than those departed.

You've got to think that Jamie and the BoD are across all the key sponsors. It's always disappointing to lose good people but the key must be to replace with even better.

55 minutes ago, BPM said:

Clearly the manager doesn’t agree as he put the lads out on loan 

Clearly but see previous quotes about the manager not agreeing as being an answer to any differing opinion.

32 minutes ago, Dade said:

Clearly but see previous quotes about the manager not agreeing as being an answer to any differing opinion.

I think he has earned the right to be much more trusted than some seem to. I said all summer for example that he should sign another striker. He chose to extend contracts. He was right as Oliver and Nesbitt doing the switching false 9 but will do fine probably till Maciver is back. 

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

I think he has earned the right to be much more trusted than some seem to. I said all summer for example that he should sign another striker. He chose to extend contracts. He was right as Oliver and Nesbitt doing the switching false 9 but will do fine probably till Maciver is back. 

Did it not occur to you during the Summer that McGlynn knew what he was doing? 😉 

1 minute ago, Dade said:

Did it not occur to you during the Summer that McGlynn knew what he was doing? 😉 

McGlynn like most managers at this level is desperate for a striker ( in our case as an option for MacIver ) but they are few and far between sadly. Even loans or free agents show no worth. Morten signed JET and see how he went

9 minutes ago, Dade said:

With respect it was a much more valid concern than 2 untried kids going out on loan rather than get 5 minutes every 6 games. 😁

Surely it’s fairly f**king simple. None of the kids that have gone out on loan get in our team. None of them would even be first or second choice in their position off the bench. Therefore it is better for them to go out on loan. 

Christ almighty. Mcglynn has shown through the game time given to the likes of yeats and Adams that if you are good enough it doesn't matter what age you are or where you have come from. If walker and honeyman were good enough they'd be in the squad getting game time but at this point in time they simply aren't. Honeyman I think has a decent chance and the move to alloa is an excellent chance for him to get game time in a decent side.  Walker I'm not sure will ever be good enough unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if he's released come the end of the season but who knows.

2 hours ago, Ontovictory said:

You've got to think that Jamie and the BoD are across all the key sponsors. It's always disappointing to lose good people but the key must be to replace with even better.

I’m sure they are. Been very fortunate that during my career I’ve had great marketing/sales people, but being honest you don’t them very easily. I’m sure JS will appreciate that to get the best you need to understand/recognise that you only get what you pay for.