The Falkirk FC Thread

f**k that get it aired out. Thats what its all about.

I was glad to see Rogers back but I wasnt gutted when it didnt look like it was happening. He is good, but hes only at the higher end of the scale of player we should be looking at. Hes not levels above what I would expect for a Falkirk keeper.

Had he not signed, I would have expected our budget to have secured a keeper of similar ability.

All of that said though, he is young, getting better and despite being a loanee seems to have bought into our cause.

Good shout

Hearing o'hara could be away. Livi want him on loan and brighton are looking to buy him

I'd hate to see us sell Kev and we have no need to sell. Then again, we sold Biabi last pre-season in similar circumstances. He's clearly got huge potential and will go on to be a top goalscorer. A loan move is expected as he's 5th choice at the moment due to the strength in depth we have up front but no need to sell. No need whatsoever.

Hearing o'hara could be away. Livi want him on loan and brighton are looking to buy him

I'd hate to see us sell Kev and we have no need to sell. Then again, we sold Biabi last pre-season in similar circumstances. He's clearly got huge potential and will go on to be a top goalscorer. A loan move is expected as he's 5th choice at the moment due to the strength in depth we have up front but no need to sell. No need whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This is the crux of it. IMO we cant really do better.

Its a wee bit of what you like with fullbacks. Yes Leahy (and most other attacking fullbacks) will get caught out of position and cost goals on occasion. You have to do the trade off and decide whether its worth it or not.

There were times last season Blair could look isolated on the right because Aero is much more defensively minded than Leahy and unltimately it narrowed the team sometimes. That can cost you in attacking terms.

On the flipside, (again imo) were it not for Leahy on the left, we would have been impotent there as Sibbs doesnt have the pace to hit the byline multiple times in a game, but with Leahy linking up/overlapping we have a genuine threat.

We can do better, no point in thinking we can't. There us always next to give the debate who is better.

Leahy at times in the season usually has a mind wander, tho I think contract talks played a major part of that.

Takeaway his instructions to get forward blunts us in attack, we don't have natural width and remember his goals, Hibs one brought us right back into it, stunning goal.

I personally would've gave Dick another year, did well at Stranraer and can cover centre half

3 hours ago, Trump said:

Nothing wrong with a different opinion. You couldn't come back with a realistic alternative to Leahy though. I reckon Deniz could and may still be a good goalkeeper for us but McMinn isn't ready should the former pick up injury or suspension, hence Rodgers addition to the squad.

You need three goalies nowadays if competing in the u21 league, although cover is easily got with emergency loans, still better to have three in there

15 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

Potential, Botti had potential...

I wouldn't like to see O'Hara sold but he looked very very raw v Hibs in the league game at the end of the season.

The fact we seem to putting him out wide recently suggests he hasn't progressed in manner he did earlier.

5 minutes ago, Trump said:

So Mr Dust your alternative to Leahy is, Dick? A guy who couldn't get a game over Leahy? Happy to be proven wrong if people can suggest a serious realistic alternative that would be better than Luke at left back.

The alternative to Leahy is Tony Gallagher, the U20 left back. He's very good and will probably go as far if not further in his career than Steven Kingsley. And I raved about Kingsley long before he made his debut for the first team.  

As for O' Hara, he's been an excellent player for us at U20 level. Deservedly player of the year at that level last season. He hasn't quite clicked at first team level yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it this year, assuming he gets a chance. Nathan's arrival puts him slightly further down the pecking order but both he and Scotty have the potential to do well. I wouldn't be averse to seeing either going out on loan at a lower level. It didn't harm Mark Stewart's career and it would free up a space for Mark Stowe to shine. He looked like another gem during the match against Stirling Uni. 

And on a separate topic, where are all those nice Hibs boys tonight? Out drinking Carlsberg to show their love of all things Danish? 

I love the Danes, so I do. Quite fond of the Maltese too. 

GIRFUY Edinburgh. 

Really? I can see the benefits to us for a short term loan. But he a player I think has real potential & I would want to see that developed with us. For all the positives from last season & some good signs for the season ahead the pathway from academy to 1st seems a little more unclear/difficult.

The alternative to Leahy is Tony Gallagher, the U20 left back. He's very good and will probably go as far if not further in his career than Steven Kingsley. And I raved about Kingsley long before he made his debut for the first team.  

As for O' Hara, he's been an excellent player for us at U20 level. Deservedly player of the year at that level last season. He hasn't quite clicked at first team level yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it this year, assuming he gets a chance. Nathan's arrival puts him slightly further down the pecking order but both he and Scotty have the potential to do well. I wouldn't be averse to seeing either going out on loan at a lower level. It didn't harm Mark Stewart's career and it would free up a space for Mark Stowe to shine. He looked like another gem during the match against Stirling Uni. 

And on a separate topic, where are all those nice Hibs boys tonight? Out drinking Carlsberg to show their love of all things Danish? 

GIRFUY Edinburgh. 

Although Gallagher has undisputed potential, the point that was I was arguing is that 'we can get better than Leahy'. Tony has the potential to be a top left back but I wouldn't want to burden him with too much first team football at the moment considering his age. I'm happy to have him as back up in that position, and reiterate that we won't be able to recruit anyone better than what we have in this position.

For me I see much more of a player in O'Hara than I ever did in Biabi. I was surprised when someone came in for him. Had an excellent sub appearance in cup final but not much else comes to mind. I fully agree that there is no need to sell.

GIRFUY Edinburgh. 

:lol: settle doon.

3 hours ago, Trump said:

So Mr Dust your alternative to Leahy is, Dick? A guy who couldn't get a game over Leahy? Happy to be proven wrong if people can suggest a serious realistic alternative that would be better than Luke at left back.

Yep a guy who couldn't get a game over Leahy whilst being on loan at Stranraer to get experience...

Asking for suggestions is like playing football manager.....keep it real

20 minutes ago, Trump said:

You must have missed the first half of the season then where he wasn't at Stranraer.

yep the three month where he was unlikely to displace Leahy and was sent out on loan to gain experience.....

17 games out of 47, my halfs are different from yours

He was out on loan in November....sure I read he won some POTY at Stranraer and funnily signed back on.

I never suggested he is better than Leahy only that he was sent out on loan to gain experience to perhaps be better and then doesnt comeback to prove the loan system works.

The only example of the loan system working for us is Mark Stewart and Darren Barr, tho I dont have the huge praise for Barr that some do but he did have a great season after the loan at Forfar

Edited by MrDust

Vaulks medical at Rotherham today. Sad to see him go.

Sad to see him go is an understatement! For me he the difference between genuine title challenge & play off place. He that important. If the league change the promotion criteria to show us ur bank balance them were were laughing! Otherwise a real lack of ambition. Well deserved for him personally but a kick in teeth!

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye. We need to spend some of this money. To ensure a go at the title rather than playoffs id say.

Anyone ITK re the fee?

I think the ITK chaps told us earlier in the thread that he was going nowhere. Gasp.. Falkirk TV told them so.

Oh dear. No thanks to John Rankin as an ancient Dad's Army replacement please.