The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Harkins was pretty shite that night despite scoring, and thoroughly outclassed by Sibbald. All the Dundee fans I know want to sign Sibbald and all are glad they're getting rid of Harkins/he wouldn't accept reduced contract terms. I assume you're a simpleton though, and this isn't the case with you? 

I don't actively want to sign Sibbald having not seen enough of him to wow me but I've heard good things and he comes across as a player with decent ability and potential to improve further. He showed up well in the first half at Dens but disappeared completely in the 2nd half. I'd be happy if we signed him but I can't see that he'd be in our first XI at the moment. I'd be more inclined to go for Stevie Mallan if I had to sign a CM from the Championship currently.

On Gary Harkins, I know exactly why he's getting the punt from Dens and it's a minter for him. I love him as a player but I'm the sort who can rationalize carrying a luxury player or that wee bit of quality at the expense of work rate. Add to that he brings a bit of rare height and physicality to our team and I can see his value - as can the majority of the Dundee support.

His influence is mostly limited to games against teams outwith the top 4 now however - Aberdeen, Hearts, Celtic and (probably) Rangers, will have too much quality/fitness for him but against your St Johnstones, Thistles, County's and Killies he's often the difference. When you analyse the nonchalant manner with which Killie swatted Falkirk to the side I'll confidently state that Gary Harkins would be a stand out in the Championship (as he was a few years ago), where even his fitness would be less of a hindrance due to the lower levels of pace and physicality at that level. Killie were too fit and too strong for Falkirk ultimately whilst Gary Harkins more than holds his own against these sort of teams.

25 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

An at any price statement or hope he'd take a 50% cut?

Gary Harkins is one of the top 3 earners at Dens and is fully aware his next contract will be significantly reduced. Indeed last season he offered to take a sizeable pay cut in exchange for an extra year on his deal at Dens.

13 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Sibbald should leave Falkirk asap, playing wide left is ruining his career.

You'll get a lot of arguments for the former, not so much the latter though! Playing out wide exposes his lack of pace and is probably holding him back a bit,

To get the most out of Sibbald you would need to base your team round about him.  So far Houstie hasnt been keen on doing that but his hand may be forced this season with the loss of Vaulks and Alston. Its also up to Sibbald to show thats where he should be playing by performing if he does get that chance.  He's had chances before in the middle and not done a lot.

If you want to play sibs in the middle of the park I think you would need to play a 4231, he tries his best to get stuck in and I think that part of his game actually got a bit better this year but he doesn't have the strength to dominate that area. He could play in front of Kerr and Rankin maybe? Free him up to be a pure AM and only challenge, pressure and track in a small area while creating chances and playing off the striker.

In regards to Hippo he is a bit of a frustrating player, maybe he does need a run in the team but he jumps from game changer to liability from game to game. The defensive side of his game is awful and with him and leahy prone to mistiming a challenge and giving away fouls we would be pretty exposed on that left although his pace and power could make us more of a threat on that side, bit of a balancing act.

The way Falkirk fans treat their players it's no surprise Sibbald wants to leave and vaulks left. You should take a long look in the mirror, Falkirk fans.

Certain Falkirk fans.

Sibbald us the most gifted footballer we have at the club who is being stifled by Houston playing him wide left.

Playing in the old fashioned number 10 role behind the striker or strikers is where we see the best of him.

Rogers

Muirhead
Watson
Gasparotto
Leahy

Kerr
Rankin
Taiwo

Sibbald

Mchugh
Austin.

I am sure Kerr is suspended for the hibs games due to yellows from last season. Taiwo rankin siting with Craigen and Sibbs out wide.

Somebody like Pawlett is exactly what we need. I fear we are too slow in midfield and lack flair. Alston gave us width and pace, from what I've saw from Craigen so far I feel he had bags of ability but I've not seen much pace yet. We need to get someone in who will commit defenders, I think this is missing, Hippo looks as if he could do it but looks more off the boil than he looks on so I'm not sure he will deliver.