The Falkirk FC Thread

Hmm, we may well go up this season without doing what you suggest. Also if we don't, the only significantly bigger budget side in the Championship next season may be Dundee United.

Personally I think we could get past them over 36 games if we keep most of the current squad.

We need to get out of this league. We have won it 4 times since 1990. Every time we have invested in the team. That tells a story for me. We may go up in the next two weeks which would be great. However if we do that investment will be needed big time.

St Johnstone have had a number of managerial changes over the past few seasons and their bod always seem to get the replacement right. Their managers  almost always go on to bigger and better things .We on the other hand have appointed duffers like May, Pressley and Holt and that's why St Johnstone are pushing for top 4 and we're stuck in the championship. They have a bod that understands football. Hamilton also have a bod that know what their doing. They didnt flog off McCarthy and McCarthur to the first half decent bid that comes in the door  and reaped the benefits of a big wad of cash for doing that. We have wasted our best chances of promotion by appointing the wrong people and now that we have someone with half a clue we're in a much tougher league situation to get out of. We've also flogged off our best young talent over the past few seasons for fees nowhere near what the likes of Hamilton were getting for players. In some cases the bod were basically biting teams hands off for the cash.Bod's need to get things right on a long term basis and not just a few years here or there.

I think the last time we had a half decent BoD was when Holmes was involved in the club and thats going back,  i think the current BoD will be looking back at buying into the Hughes going for top 6 and signing players approaching the end of their careers i.e. Macnamara, Pressley, McCann, Tosh, Lovell.

As far as management go the May one could have worked if they took a chance and it worked everyone would be saying how it was good for them to appoint a rookie manager and it paid off not to mention the media would have been all over it.

Pressley tried to install a positive belief as it was still mathematically possible for us to stay up the last thing you would expect him to say was we are relegated accept it (tbf i liked his approach)

Holt from what i was told really didnt have much of a clue and wasnt popular with the players.

Houstie has done well with 2 back to back 2nd place in a row whether folk like it or not he has done well yes there have been duff signings but then no manager is going to get it right ll the time and i dont understand why some elements of our support are calling for his head.  we all want to see the club do well and back in the premier but the reality is we have no divine right to say we should be there on account of one reason or another on that logic , St Mirren, Dundee Utd can say the same thing and taking into account stadium then you have a lot of other teams you could include into that i.e. set up for premier but team not good enough.

Our board seem to give it the signal of saying one thing to the support and media and doing the exact opposite (see Sevco for that one), then again we have got a politician on board (why i dont know).

Edited by Jackie Moon

In 3 years he has had us finish 2nd twice in leagues where we have faced teams with far superior resources and reached a Scottish cup final. Not too shabby whilst living within our means and even cheaping out when it comes to signings. I would like to see how far Houston could take us if he had a bit of backing.

46 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Except Pressley and Holt did go onto bigger and better things ?? :blink:

Neither are in a job just now and neither have been at all successful at any other club they've been at which says it all. Appointing Pressley after he failed miserably to keep us up after the May debacle was one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made by the club. Beaten only by the ludicrous decision to give the managers job to May in the first place.  Pressley when he took over was only 3 points off second bottom with about 13 games to go. He had every chance to keep us up.We as a club are still paying the price  7 years or so on.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Neither are in a job just now and neither have been at all successful at any other club they've been at which says it all. Appointing Pressley after he failed miserably to keep us up after the May debacle was one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made by the club. Beaten only by the ludicrous decision to give the managers job to May in the first place. We as a club are still paying the price  7 years or so on.

Pressley holding out for a bigger job, he was interviewed last week and had said he had been helping at the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc and trying to learn as much whilst he was there and  considering he kept Coventry in league 1 for 2 seasons with administration on going and no resources thats an achievement in itself, as i said about his appointment fans would have been calling for his head had he said thats it chuck the towel in we are relegated when it was still possible to stay up.  

Holt i think is being looked at by one of the Irish teams and tbf i didnt rate anyway.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Neither are in a job just now and neither have been at all successful at any other club they've been at which says it all. Appointing Pressley after he failed miserably to keep us up after the May debacle was one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made by the club. Beaten only by the ludicrous decision to give the managers job to May in the first place. We as a club are still paying the price  7 years or so on.

This is all very well in hindsight, but at the time they both left Falkirk to bigger and better things.

ETA; wasn't a fan of either of the c***s anyway

Edited by Believe The Hype

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Neither are in a job just now and neither have been at all successful at any other club they've been at which says it all. Appointing Pressley after he failed miserably to keep us up after the May debacle was one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made by the club. Beaten only by the ludicrous decision to give the managers job to May in the first place.  Pressley when he took over was only 3 points off second bottom with about 13 games to go. He had every chance to keep us up.We as a club are still paying the price  7 years or so on.

Pressley was not given an extension to his contract after the Monday night meeting for any other reason than bring in the kids so the club could sell them on so the Major investors could get their money back. The Vice Chairman at the time admitted at a public meeting Pressley did not have a budget to get near winning the league. Houston's budget will be double Pressley's.

Pressley did the job he was asked to do very very well. He even managed to get us to two National Cup semi finals somehow.

19 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

Pressley holding out for a bigger job, he was interviewed last week and had said he had been helping at the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc and trying to learn as much whilst he was there and  considering he kept Coventry in league 1 for 2 seasons with administration on going and no resources thats an achievement in itself, as i said about his appointment fans would have been calling for his head had he said thats it chuck the towel in we are relegated when it was still possible to stay up.  

Holt i think is being looked at by one of the Irish teams and tbf i didnt rate anyway.

And as I said we were only 3 points off second bottom when he took over and there was no playoff back then. I don't have a problem him saying that we would definitely stay up as a decent manager would've kept us up especially considering the fact that killie only picked up 11 points out of  a possible 52 left that season. . You only need to look at what Uwe Rossler has done at Fleetwood since replacing Pressley to know how hopeless a manager he is.  The fact he's holding out for a bigger club is utterly laughable.

The budget was there to have a go at winning the league this season even without Vaulks and Alston. The signings have been absolute gash. Gasparotto, Thomson, Craigen, a known crock in McKee, Kidd, Aird, Rankin. All known quantities and none spectacular. Seven players and I'd say two have been passable and one has been mediocre. Four have been wastes of a wage. If he'd pulled out two very good signings this season we'd have been in a position to give Hibs a challenge. The squad is huge, he's signed most of it and it's much of a muchness. The budget size is competitive if we don't waste it.

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The budget was there to have a go at winning the league this season even without Vaulks and Alston. The signings have been absolute gash. Gasparotto, Thomson, Craigen, a known crock in McKee, Kidd, Aird, Rankin. All known quantities and none spectacular. Seven players and I'd say two have been passable and one has been mediocre. Four have been wastes of a wage. If he'd pulled out two very good signings this season we'd have been in a position to give Hibs a challenge. The squad is huge, he's signed most of it and it's much of a muchness. The budget size is competitive if we don't waste it.

What do you think the budget size is?

What would it be standing beside Hibs and DU?

What do you think the budget size is?
What would it be standing beside Hibs and DU?

At a guess a third of what Hibs is and 35-40% below Dundee United.

Do you disagree with my point - recruitment by us has been rotten this season and we aren't far off Hibs if we'd made two excellent signings last summer?

At a guess a third of what Hibs is and 35-40% below Dundee United.

Do you disagree with my point - recruitment by us has been rotten this season and we aren't far off Hibs if we'd made two excellent signings last summer?

No idea where it would be against the others but further away than your DU guess.

I am probably not as far in the rotten camp as you. I do think however one or two bit of quality would have helped at the sacrifice of quantity.

I think where we went wrong was dishing out contracts to those who at Rugby Park showed were not up to it before the end of the season was a mistake. I not that has not happened this season.

On Houston's recruitment from last January I think it has been a real mixed bag.

Austin, Hypolyte, Gasparotto, Thomson and McKee are good or will turn out good signings IMO

Kidd, Aird and Craigen I could take or leave.

Have they all contributed IMO yes to greater or lesser degrees

The ones who Houston kept who have not lived up to anything like last year are much more of the problem for me.

Baird, Kerr, McCracken and McHugh have just not offered what was expected.

35 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

BPM you don't have a clue what the budgets of any clubs are, you've been pretending to be in the know for 3 seasons now.

I just said that. As a shareholder at Falkirk I do know that one mind you.