The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, PipoIsABairn said:

As it stands we look like we are one injury or suspension for gallacher away from a real problem. Henderson seems to be the general option as a replacement should that happen but he hasn't kicked a ball for the first team and I don't see who else there is who could step in. If Kidd goes then we have a similar problem at right back. It has me wondering if Houston would just drop to a back 3 at that point and play Hippolyte essentially as a full back? Did he not play at left back for Livi?

Hippo's a dreadful defender, keeps trying daft wee flicks and nutmegs etc in the wrong positions! We've got Finlayson that could play at RB and I know he's played on the left too for the U20's however that would be a real slap in the face for Henderson if Houstie chose that option.

Finances probably dictate that we need to sign someone who could play in either FB position; what's Danny McGrain doing these days?

Sibbald/his agent will have made clear that we are due compo (probably why less teams are interested) this time around. Hopefully he signs soon so Houston can bring in a replacement. An attacking midfielder that can also play wide would be ideal if there's only money to bring in one 

What about an attacking midfielder who can play wide and has a good bit of experience at left and right back.

I hope not as I think we are still sort of quality to allow us too win the league outright.

One of my main worries is up front. Loy was an inspired signing but feel we need more. Miller is past it as a player, an impact sub at best.
Austin, O'Hara and Shepherd to me still need to show me more and of course a long season ahead when the going gets tough and injuries kick in etc.

I think we need another striker more than a player in and other position in the team. If we are seriously pushing to win the league this year then we still need to spend more. Otherwise it may be silver medal again.

Loy's signing was a boost at the time & his performances so far have only added to it. However it also could be a huge weak spot as so much of what has been good rests on his creativity. Loss of form or injury leaves us with pretty much the same issues as last season, possible minus another creative outlet in Sibbald. However McKee looks like he might be able to step up & if Craigen can replicate his end of season form that would be a bonus. Also hoping Hippo can become much more consistent because I think he could be vital in any challenge for an outright title push. Any money we did get for Sibbald, may be better spent tying Hippo, Austin and McKee to longer deals?

A decent start is key and then maybe this new supporter group can deliver another signing boost in January.

21 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I hope not as I think we are still sort of quality to allow us too win the league outright.

One of my main worries is up front. Loy was an inspired signing but feel we need more. Miller is past it as a player, an impact sub at best.
Austin, O'Hara and Shepherd to me still need to show me more and of course a long season ahead when the going gets tough and injuries kick in etc.

I think we need another striker more than a player in and other position in the team. If we are seriously pushing to win the league this year then we still need to spend more. Otherwise it may be silver medal again.

We've already got 5 strikers and hippo who can also play there. There is no chance we'll be signing another one. Austin is currently scoring a goal a game so I'm not sure how much more he needs to show.

For a team our size we will always rely on the team getting through a season without injuries to key players it's the only way we can compete with the likes of United. If someone like lot got a long term injury then we're basically fecked but it's a gamble we have to take.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Hippo's a dreadful defender, keeps trying daft wee flicks and nutmegs etc in the wrong positions! We've got Finlayson that could play at RB and I know he's played on the left too for the U20's however that would be a real slap in the face for Henderson if Houstie chose that option.

Finances probably dictate that we need to sign someone who could play in either FB position; what's Danny McGrain doing these days?

If Finlayson was going to play surely we would have seen him at some point at least on the bench? Considering the bench has had Miller, Shepard and O'Hara on it at one point this seems a bit weird if him and Henderson are genuinely ready for the first team. 

I think if Sibbald goes the board will trouser the money and give Houstie eff all to spend. They'll probably use our swashbuckling start to the season without him, albeit against lesser opposition, as justification.

I 100% agree with this which is worrying because our first 11 is capable of winning this league but any injuries in certain positions and we might struggle and I think United especially have a bigger squad. Full back cover is a worry!

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Forgot to mention from the other night as has been said already, Luca looked in much better shape. Hopefully cements his place in the team this season and becomes the player we were all happy to sign up.

I thought he looked in better shape but still looked the least comfortable of our three CB players so far. When the opponent is lumping balls on top of him he strolls it but I really worry when the ball is on the ground in behind. Watson still looks a lot more mobile to me.

Realistically, if any of our central defenders were brilliant in the air, comfortable with the ball at their feet and had blinding pace, they wouldn't be here long.

Utilising their combined strengths effectively is the key.

Hopefully he does. Would quite like to see the compensation money to go towards investing in other areas of the squad, ideally a left back and an alternative wide player.

I hear the club are trying their best to get Kidd off the books, they've sourced one particular league two team as a potential suitor.

There won't be any reinvestment of any money we get for Sibbald IMO. Anyone hoping there will be I feel will be disappointed

Sibbald/his agent will have made clear that we are due compo (probably why less teams are interested) this time around. Hopefully he signs soon so Houston can bring in a replacement. An attacking midfielder that can also play wide would be ideal if there's only money to bring in one 

Nothing will come in if Sibbald goes IMO

Club seem to have a decent idea what his value is in comp so I reckon we'll hold out for that.

Not a chance will we get 280k. They will settle for half IMO

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

There won't be any reinvestment of any money we get for Sibbald IMO. Anyone hoping there will be I feel will be disappointed

I was told there is still business to do if Sibbald goes. He is one of the higher earners so that wage freed up combined with a fee (100k I was told) should allow us to bring in one more. If there is no money to bring in another player then we're fecked if he ends up signing his one year extension. 

Is Kidd offski?

ETA: Not been able to make any of the Betfred game so far but Kidd has not even made the bench for any of the 3 games. Unless he's injured (?), could be a sign that Houstie is trying to make it clear that he's surplus to requirements. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

4 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Is Kidd offski?

ETA: Not been able to make any of the Betfred game so far but Kidd has not even made the bench for any of the 3 games. Unless he's injured (?), could be a sign that Houstie is trying to make it clear that he's surplus to requirements. 

I don't think Kidd will play for us again, even if he does stay. 

Is Kidd offski?

The club, manager, and player are trying to resolve the situation in a way that makes everyone happy. Sounds like it's finding the right club.