The Falkirk FC Thread

People skills isn’t what we need right now we need a manager to get us out the shit.

How exactly is he going to do that if he riles players rather than motivates them?

As I have said before I think we may have lost points during his tenure to date for precisely these reasons.

That said, I agree we have to give him a chance to see what he brings in January.

How exactly is he going to do that if he riles players rather than motivates them?

As I have said before I think we may have lost points during his tenure to date for precisely these reasons.

That said, I agree we have to give him a chance to see what he brings in January.

If a player has anything about them they’d be out on the park doing their nuts in proving him wrong.

Can’t imagine being a professional footballer and not going out in every game even development games and giving anything less than 100%. Too many jokers at the club who don’t care as they’ll no doubt get a contract somewhere else regardless of how they are playing.

If a player has anything about them they’d be out on the park doing their nuts in proving him wrong.

Can’t imagine being a professional footballer and not going out in every game even development games and giving anything less than 100%. Too many jokers at the club who don’t care as they’ll no doubt get a contract somewhere else regardless of how they are playing.

I am afraid the sport has changed from what it used to be. Whilst you and I would probably want to believe that’s how players will behave we both know in reality it’s somewhat different.

You need to get them to believe in what you are doing and make sure that they understand the benefits for them in terms of success, money and developing as players.

Guardiola probably exhibits that better than anyone out there today.

It does worry me that Hartley does not appear to adopt that approach and usually within a short time it catches up with managers who cannot get the support of those they are meant to be leading.

59 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I am afraid the sport has changed from what it used to be. Whilst you and I would probably want to believe that’s how players will behave we both know in reality it’s somewhat different.

You need to get them to believe in what you are doing and make sure that they understand the benefits for them in terms of success, money and developing as players.

Guardiola probably exhibits that better than anyone out there today.

It does worry me that Hartley does not appear to adopt that approach and usually within a short time it catches up with managers who cannot get the support of those they are meant to be leading.

Guardiola didn' get city playing like he wanted them until he shipped out a lot of players and then spent 100s of millions of pounds replacing them.  He tried keeping some of those players last season and they were brutal. Hartley is having to do the same with nowt to spend and in one transfer window.

I watch City regularly (been a fan since ‘76) and the problem last season was not about players not being behind him. A big part of it was his insistence that they play the ball out from the back and the team really struggling with it. Many of the same players are still there this season and just look at the improvement of so many of them, Sterling, Otamendi, Fernandinho etc. Agreed, like Hartley on a much higher level, he’s bringing in new talent but tell me who Guardiola has alienated in his time in charge?

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I watch City regularly (been a fan since ‘76) and the problem last season was not about players not being behind him. A big part of it was his insistence that they play the ball out from the back and the team really struggling with it. Many of the same players are still there this season and just look at the improvement of so many of them, Sterling, Otamendi, Fernandinho etc. Agreed, like Hartley on a much higher level, he’s bringing in new talent but tell me who Guardiola has alienated in his time in charge?

He had a big fall out with yaya at one point but he also has the benefit of being at a club with an endless supply of cash. If he doesn't want a player they can just get rid by either selling at a big loss or paying them off. Hartley doesn' have that option so it's  far more likely that players noses will be put out of joint by telling them they won't get picked and need to find another club. 

He had a big fall out with yaya at one point but he also has the benefit of being at a club with an endless supply of cash. If he doesn't want a player they can just get rid by either selling at a big loss or paying them off. Hartley doesn' have that option so it's  far more likely that players noses will be put out of joint by telling them they won't get picked and need to find another club. 

Don’t think there’s anyone who hasn’t fallen out with Yaya at some point. Yet, he’s still there, playing for Guardiola and I believe behind him for the most part.

Re Falkirk, I do get the point you are making but it really was apparent from early doors that things were not great under Hartley. Why was Alex Smith able to get so much out of the players in two matches and then we went back into reverse gear again as soon as Hartley took over? Did he take the time to get to know the players and work out how to deal with them? Who knows for sure but the signs are he didn’t.

I do think he probably does need to get rid of the big characters and refresh the team now. My only hope is that what he brings in is better than what he is shipping out and that he knows how to ensure that they are committed to his ideas or we will have a real issue very soon.

Its pretty well established now that Hartleys primary talent is as a squad builder, identifying and procuring players to suit his system. Hes an obsessive student of the game by all accounts.

In this context, what he may or may not have said to upset some already shitbagging underachievers is pretty much irrelevant. f**k them.

If hes interested in developing his man management style, hes got no better mentor than Alex  Smith, who the players frankly would die for. Plus hes like a little tactical buddha

Its pretty well established now that Hartleys primary talent is as a squad builder, identifying and procuring players to suit his system. Hes an obsessive student of the game by all accounts.
In this context, what he may or may not have said to upset some already shitbagging underachievers is pretty much irrelevant. f**k them.
If hes interested in developing his man management style, hes got no better mentor than Alex  Smith, who the players frankly would die for. Plus hes like a little tactical buddha

Agree with this.

The point I would make is that from now it’s not about what he has done re the ‘chancers’. He needs to develop man-management skills to take the new team forward longer-term.