The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

We’re currently pumping Celtic 3-0 after 30 mins in the development league with both o’hara and loy scoring. 

Aye but colt teams.....

Anyway, Taiwo front runner for me for POTY based on his dig and commitment. Jak or Louis could snatch it though in the run in. If either of them can turn in Dundee Utd type performances to win big matches for us then they would likely take it. The run in is all about making a mark for next season so hopefully they will look to do that.

Just now, Senor Bairn said:

How many do yous think he could end up with? 10+ would be a great return from January imho.

10 league goals from a January signing (and he was late was he not?) would be a superb return.  He can definitely do it but he is going to have to pick up goals in some tough games to get there.

Guest Back Post Misses
Player of the Year is McGhee by a mile. Taiwo is an awful shout.

Agree 100% on McGhee.

Head and shoulders our best player

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Player of the Year is McGhee by a mile. Taiwo is an awful shout.

An awful shout? How can you quantify that? I can understand McGhee being in the running as he is a very good player. Leaving aside the Tommy T love-in craic for now though (temporarily) there is no way anyone is miles ahead of him for it. Maybe ahead of him, but to call him an awful shout for it is quite bizarre to me. 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

An awful shout? How can you quantify that? I can understand McGhee being in the running as he is a very good player. Leaving aside the Tommy T love-in craic for now though (temporarily) there is no way anyone is miles ahead of him for it. Maybe ahead of him, but to call him an awful shout for it is quite bizarre to me. 

What does he add to the team that other midfielders don't? I've had a look at our line ups since the turn of the year and the games we've won it's been about 50/50 whether Taiwo is in the team or not. I'd probably pick him ahead of McKee, Kidd or Welsh but there isn't much in it. On Saturday's performance, Ryan Blair looks a better option. Compare that to a player like Sibbald or the majority of the January signings, they're clearly far better options than anyone else in those positions and the results support that.

Taiwo is a bang average Championship player who never hides, works hard and isn't terrible at anything. He's not a superstar in possession, he doesn't really create anything and was as much a part of the dreaded Kerr/Taiwo double pivot as Kerr was.

I like Taiwo and I am quite happy with having him in the squad. The deification of him and putting him down as our PotY baffles me.

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Agree 100% on McGhee.

Head and shoulders our best player

Yep. Without a doubt.

Even turning a blind eye to his mandatory "dribble up the field before losing the ball in an exposed position" routine.

Regarding Jak - yes, there's no doubt he's capable of reaching 10 which would be fantastic.

His stats are:

League starts 4, Sub apps 2, goals 4.

Scottish Cup starts 2, sub apps 1, goals 2.

I appreciate he wasn't going to get a game ahead of Berra or Souttar, but it's strange that Hearts let McGhee go. He's still very young, big and strong but quick with it, and he's decent with the ball at his feet. Also versatile enough to play across the backline. 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

What does he add to the team that other midfielders don't? I've had a look at our line ups since the turn of the year and the games we've won it's been about 50/50 whether Taiwo is in the team or not. I'd probably pick him ahead of McKee, Kidd or Welsh but there isn't much in it. On Saturday's performance, Ryan Blair looks a better option. Compare that to a player like Sibbald or the majority of the January signings, they're clearly far better options than anyone else in those positions and the results support that.

Taiwo is a bang average Championship player who never hides, works hard and isn't terrible at anything. He's not a superstar in possession, he doesn't really create anything and was as much a part of the dreaded Kerr/Taiwo double pivot as Kerr was.

I like Taiwo and I am quite happy with having him in the squad. The deification of him and putting him down as our PotY baffles me.

I think between the Houston/Smith games he was by a mile the best player on the park for us. When Hartley came in, we never really got going until Taiwo added a bit of dig in the midfield.

There are parts of your posts I agree with, and the deification of him, at least on my part is mainly a bit of craic but also in recognition of the effort and commitment he shows. 

In a season characterised by the tearing down of our club by a squad of utter shitebags, the one guy who has stood up to be counted (and performed really well in a lot of games) deserves the recognition. I really hope next season we are arguing about whether it was Sibbs with his assists and MOTM performances, or Jak/Nelson/LL with all their goals between them as we stroll to the title. This season however I want to recognise the guy that refused to shite out with the rest of the team he was playing with. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think between the Houston/Smith games he was by a mile the best player on the park for us. When Hartley came in, we never really got going until Taiwo added a bit of dig in the midfield.

There are parts of your posts I agree with, and the deification of him, at least on my part is mainly a bit of craic but also in recognition of the effort and commitment he shows. 

In a season characterised by the tearing down of our club by a squad of utter shitebags, the one guy who has stood up to be counted (and performed really well in a lot of games) deserves the recognition. I really hope next season we are arguing about whether it was Sibbs with his assists and MOTM performances, or Jak/Nelson/LL with all their goals between them as we stroll to the title. This season however I want to recognise the guy that refused to shite out with the rest of the team he was playing with. 

I hate being that guy, but which games was he our best player by a mile? I can't remember any which stand out. 

What does a bit of dig in midfield involve, running about a lot? You've essentially said he should be in consideration for Player of the Year because he's tried his best all season. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I hate being that guy, but which games was he our best player by a mile? I can't remember any which stand out. 

What does a bit of dig in midfield involve, running about a lot? You've essentially said he should be in consideration for Player of the Year because he's tried his best all season. 

The Cappielow game under Smith he was the best player on the pitch. He does a lot more than just try/run about, and I know that you know this. When he plays well we control the midfield, and games we have won this season have been characterised by control of midfield IMO. Seems to be where we win or lose. Taiwo at his best allows others to go and play and prevents opposition from doing their thing. 

There is a bit of it that I want to recognise his effort levels for sure. Thats the kind of season we have had. Like I say, I would prefer to be picking between top performaers who have been scudding all comers, but for me, players like Taiwo rarely get recognition  and in the circumstances of this clusterfuck season, his attempts to drag us out the shite deserve recognised.