The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

For the statisticians who know (and because I can’t be arsed working it out and seeing us in 8th just upsets me lolz), how far away are we from being mathematically safe? Expect to see squad moves as soon as that (hopefully) happens. 

Dumbarton can finish on 45 points.

We therefore need 8 points to surpass that.

For the statisticians who know (and because I can’t be arsed working it out and seeing us in 8th just upsets me lolz), how far away are we from being mathematically safe? Expect to see squad moves as soon as that (hopefully) happens. 

In the unlikely event that Dumbarton win their last five games they can get to 45 points. Therefore we officially need 8 more points to be mathematically safe.
That’s unlikely, but we should note that Dumbarton have now won three of their last six, whilst we have a difficult run in.
We should be ok, but I think we need three more points before we can relax, tbh.

If Dumbarton win all their remaining games, they'd finish on 45 points. We'd need 8 points to be mathematically safe. However one of those games is against us, win that and we'd only need another 2 (so 5 in total).

Apologies, think our posts crossed...

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think we need better than longridge if we're going to win this league. He flatters to deceive too often. Yesterday we had two rbs on the bench and yet he stuck mcghee at rwb. Why he signed welsh and blair is beyond me and taiwo has for some reason been binned when we were crying out for him yesterday. Plus to get rid of miller and hippo to leave us with ohara and harris as our attacking options from the bench is poor. Add to that the fact that loy is being paid a grand to play for the u20s when even off form hes better than those two then surely youve got to raise questions of the manager. Tumilty, welsh and blair have added very little to the side since being signed.

Yeah I probably should have said his signings have been good by and large, his team selection yesterday was wrong for me, I agree 100% with you there. We should have had Taiwo and Kidd in midfield instead of longridge and welsh and McGhee should have been in at CB with Tumilty at RWB.

I think blair has looked decent enough in the games he has played and I doubt he will be a massive cost for a 6 month loan, I really think that Welsh is the only signing that hasn't really added anything or played a part due to how long he was injured.

I do agree that Loy should be on the bench but to be honest he hasn't contributed anything when he has been so I don't think that he would have contributed more than the absolute zero that harris has. I think they will both be gone in the summer.

3 hours ago, GMBairn said:

Yeah I probably should have said his signings have been good by and large, his team selection yesterday was wrong for me, I agree 100% with you there. We should have had Taiwo and Kidd in midfield instead of longridge and welsh and McGhee should have been in at CB with Tumilty at RWB.

I think blair has looked decent enough in the games he has played and I doubt he will be a massive cost for a 6 month loan, I really think that Welsh is the only signing that hasn't really added anything or played a part due to how long he was injured.

I do agree that Loy should be on the bench but to be honest he hasn't contributed anything when he has been so I don't think that he would have contributed more than the absolute zero that harris has. I think they will both be gone in the summer.

As i said apart from nelson, jak and robson i wouldnt keep any of them. Recruitment next season needs to be a million miles better than the last few or we'll go nowhere. Why have we got blair, mckee, sibbald and welsh in our squad. All far too similar .

Some of the last few posts are embarrassing 

the past two seasons we have been close

we can only afford what we can afford on average wages

Then some punters come on p and b and think it is correct to slag players

time to look at big picture or we will be struggling for years to come

we need to sign players  who will play and fight for jersey 

too many players yesterday not up for fight 

Some support need to get real with their comments

Just now, Fitbafollower said:

Some of the last few posts are embarrassing 

the past two seasons we have been close

we can only afford what we can afford on average wages

Then some punters come on p and b and think it is correct to slag players

time to look at big picture or we will be struggling for years to come

we need to sign players  who will play and fight for jersey 

too many players yesterday not up for fight 

Some support need to get real with their comments

??? 

???

???

On 08/04/2018 at 12:17, Shodwall cat said:

Can he spot a player though? How many of his signings would you keep? Jak, nelson, robson and thats about it. The rest can bolt.

I'd definitely keep Longridge; very useful player at this level!

14 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Hartley signed players to get us out of the mess we were in and get us safe, which has nearly been achieved, his remit was not to win the league this season. Few deep breaths needed from some of the support I think. 

This is exactly right.

Genuinely astonished that some folk seem angry that we're not challenging for the playoffs. We'd won 2 out of 18 league games in the first half of the season. Since the January transfer window opened we've won 8 out 13.  He's done well to even get us in a position where a playoff place is still mathematically possible.

Edited by Gaz

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This is exactly right.

Genuinely astonished that some folk seem angry that we're not challenging for the playoffs. We'd won 2 out of 18 league games in the first half of the season. Since the January transfer window opened we've won 8 out 13.  He's done well to even get us in a position where a playoff place is still mathematically possible.

That just gave me shudder. 

If someone offered me at the end of December to be 8 points ahead of 9th place with 5 games to go I'd have took it all day long.

Hartley has done well so far, changing a squad so much half way through a season won't be an easy thing to do. Christ if that squad had been there from the start of the season we would probably be in the play off places just now. 

Hopefully there will be major changes in the summer and Hartley knows what he needs to bring in.

Another funny thing to me is the dismissal of games post January against lower end teams as if they prove nothing for Hartley.

Considering we were getting roundly humiliated by teams all through the division, to be strolling to victories against Morton/ICT/Queens/Dundee Utd/Brechin at home, and not losing away to the likes of Livi last time out, or Queens last week.... those were precisely the games we would have capitulated pre January.

57 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Challenging for the fuckin play-offs? I want Morton to beat Dumbarton tomorrow!

Can you guys even still make the Premiership play offs?  Surely the fixtures of the teams above you will put pay to that?  

For example if any 2 of Morton, Dunfermline & United play each other, both teams can't lose kind of thing.  I know ICT are in a better position and we're needing snookers.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Can you guys even still make the Premiership play offs?  Surely the fixtures of the teams above you will put pay to that?  

For example if any 2 of Morton, Dunfermline & United play each other, both teams can't lose kind of thing.  I know ICT are in a better position and we're needing snookers.

I've no idea as I haven't even tried to work it out. You're probably right though.

I don't really want us to qualify for them TBH as I don't think we'd have much of a chance and it could end up doing more harm than good. I'll be happy if we avoid the relegation play off and  start preparing for next season.

On 4/8/2018 at 08:41, Bairnardo said:

Rest easy. I sincerely doubt anyone is going up via the playoffs this season. We should have a chance next season if Hartley recuits well. Early signs suggest he is capable and I was being serious about what I saod about our respective squads yesterday. Hartley is having to clear out a load of dross and replace it with less players but genuine quality. Our current team has a few players of genuine quality in it but we still carry too many not quite good enough. Expect the trend of a leaner but better squad to continue.

AJ seems to be loading you guys up though and it seems to mirror Houstons final season and a bit here. I have seen you lot moan that there is certain criteria players must meet for AJ to sign them. It was the exact same for us.

Leaving the patter in that horrific match thread aside about the quality of our players, if we can replace some of the dross with players who can match up to McGhee, Robson, Sibbald, Nelson and Jak in terms of quality, we will be very very strong. Thats our remit for next season.

What's the deal with Robson? He's looked an absolute haddy in both games against us, runs about allot achieving absolutely nothing.