The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

All decent players but surely the point where this started is we have not had any centre halves of that standard in the last 8 years plus?

Eh, the Craig Ireland comment was meant to be sarcastic! I'm clearly not very good at it! :(

Eh, the Craig Ireland comment was meant to be sarcastic! I'm clearly not very good at it! [emoji20]

I guess I looked at him as an SPL standard defender so whilst he did not shine much he may have been a decent player in the Championship.

I know we don’t have the cash for buying decent centre halves but we really have not been blessed with much quality irrespective whilst in this division.

He was outstanding in the cup final in particular. I thought he'd have got a move on the back of that to be honest.
And he continued it too with the **** and Hibs still in the league our defence was rock solid until he got injured. It wasnt bad afterwards, but before hand we just werent conceding goals. He was absolutely pishing on this league.

Really sad to see him hit such a dip. Next season will be a big fork in the road in the big sexy b*****ds career. He really needs to find his form again.

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And he continued it too with the **** and Hibs still in the league our defence was rock solid until he got injured. It wasnt bad afterwards, but before hand we just werent conceding goals. He was absolutely pishing on this league.

Really sad to see him hit such a dip. Next season will be a big fork in the road in the big sexy b*****ds career. He really needs to find his form again.

He is an absolute hunk tbf.

54 minutes ago, Rugster said:

He was outstanding in the cup final in particular. I thought he'd have got a move on the back of that to be honest.

As Bairnardo says, his performances in the league the following season were quality, up until his injury. So much so that my rangers supporting mates (judge not lest ye be judged) kept harping on about how they would love to sign him, and how he was too good for this division. Really hope he finds that form again because he had the makings of a real hero at the club and would have been one of the first names on the team sheet every week.  

For me he still is one of the first names on the teamsheet and looks to be improving with every game. He has looked solid since we went to five at the back and is one of our few goal threats at corners.

He’s one of my favourite players and I agree he was good prior to the injury but let’s recognise that the number of goals we have conceded this season is largely down to defensive frailties.
We need to be more solid in central defence next season if we want to be challenging for promotion.

20 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

He’s one of my favourite players and I agree he was good prior to the injury but let’s recognise that the number of goals we have conceded this season is largely down to defensive frailties.
We need to be more solid in central defence next season if we want to be challenging for promotion.

Quite agree that we have shipped far too many goals but for me it was more to do with a powderpuff midfield which put undue pressure on our defenders a lot of the time. The change of shape and personnel under Hartley has seen a marked improvement defensively.

Edited by tubbybairn

Quite agree that we have shipped far too many goals but for me it was more to do with a powderpuff midfield which put undue pressure on our defenders a lot of the time. The change of shape and personnel under Hartley has seen a marked improvement defensively.

There probably truth there but I can help but feel we still look fragile at times. Having poor goalkeepers this season ain’t helped either.

A commanding keeper would definitely increase confidence along our back line. Oh for the days of the ever reliable Mr McGovern.

I was pleased to see Hartley recognise the need for extra steel in the midfield and protection for our back line at Palmerston (despite result). Having the flexibility to move McGhee in there during matches could work well for us.

38 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Our defence, even with current personel, would be fine if they had a gk they trusted. That will be key for next season.

If defenders only had to win headers from the other teams goal kicks then Grant would be playing  for Real Madrid, however as a footballer its quite important to be able to actually kick the ball in a vague direction of where you are aiming for....and unfortunately Grant can not do that in the slighest. 

A bit like George Burley said about Broadfoot a years ago, limited ability and that is never going to change, but a real trier and probably just about okish at our level.

Guest Back Post Misses
For me he still is one of the first names on the teamsheet and looks to be improving with every game. He has looked solid since we went to five at the back and is one of our few goal threats at corners.

He had a shocker 2nd half Tuesday

He had a shocker 2nd half Tuesday

I probably need to take off my Peter Grant goggles to be honest but from my angle he was out jumped for the second QOS goal but that corner came from a needless mistake by Robson initially. The first QOS goal was initially defended by our centre halves but Thomson was left unmarked on the edge of the area to slam home. IMO it should be a midfielder picking him up. Our central defence was rarely troubled otherwise. I though Welsh was a waste of a jersey on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, tubbybairn said:

I probably need to take off my Peter Grant goggles to be honest but from my angle he was out jumped for the second QOS goal but that corner came from a needless mistake by Robson initially. The first QOS goal was initially defended by our centre halves but Thomson was left unmarked on the edge of the area to slam home. IMO it should be a midfielder picking him up. Our central defence was rarely troubled otherwise. I though Welsh was a waste of a jersey on Wednesday.

I think jakubiak was at fault for the first. He was sleeping at the edge of the box.

Guest Back Post Misses
I think jakubiak was at fault for the first. He was sleeping at the edge of the box.

It was Ryan Blair actually