The Falkirk FC Thread

You might be, not everyone else is.
As soon as the signs are that things are not going well on the park and that supporters are threatening not to renew next season, that will be that for Hartley.
Hopefully it won’t come to that.

We ain’t the support we used to be in terms of demanding - no chance.

The ST cash will be banked before a ball is kicked.

Hartley is trying to unpick years of neglect in five minutes and too many just expect a few EPL loanees to come in and walk this league. That won’t happen - no chance nor will your public lynchings

We ain’t the support we used to be in terms of demanding - no chance.

The ST cash will be banked before a ball is kicked.

Hartley is trying to unpick years of neglect in five minutes and too many just expect a few EPL loanees to come in and walk this league. That won’t happen - no chance nor will your public lynchings

I think I have already stated that I believe it’s likely to need more time.
But your last statement sums it up. Supporters have become frustrated at years of failing to come up. Now they have an expectation of a revolution and it’s all going to lead to promotion at last.
If that does not happen and Hartley does not do more to get close to the fans it’s likely to lead to some turning away.
On that subject, it’s really pleasing to see these communication forums with him and the fans this month. A real step in the right direction to resolving that problem.
Sadly for me I am out of the country when all of them are taking place.

I think I have already stated that I believe it’s likely to need more time.
But your last statement sums it up. Supporters have become frustrated at years of failing to come up. Now they have an expectation of a revolution and it’s all going to lead to promotion at last.
If that does not happen and Hartley does not do more to get close to the fans it’s likely to lead to some turning away.
On that subject, it’s really pleasing to see these communication forums with him and the fans this month. A real step in the right direction to resolving that problem.
Sadly for me I am out of the country when all of them are taking place.

I agree on the “pub” forums

The tricky bit now is to move on the unwanted players still on contract. Casher to go now or waste a season of your career on the fringes of things. Make it plain to some you ain't going to make the first team and ship them out as loan players.  There are ways and means. This situation is uncanny in how similar it is to the situation the great Willie Cunningham found the team he inherited. Changed a couple of players positions. Signed  experienced players such as  Alex Totton, George Millar, Alex Scott and Alex Ferguson that  became the spine of the side and made all those around them better players. Many were not rated by the fans were transformed and as good as new signings plus some youngsters broke through.  We need an experienced centre back , midfielder and a forward, invest in them and we are moving in the right direction. 

Must admit that seeing the utd/pars game on my scores app and seeing snippets of the build up to their game is making me realise just how much better the play offs make the end of the season if you make it into the top 4. Irrespective of how unfair the system might be, it is a pisser not to be involved this year.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I think if you have read this forum over the last few months you will see that a number of posters believe that we need to get automatic promotion due to our failure to come up via the playoffs. There’s a few already threatening not to renew STs.

I rather suspect if we finish second to fourth and don’t come up some of our fans will turn on the manager.

I hasten to add I am not in that club. I want us to come up after so many years in this division but I do understand that the extent of change that’s needed usually needs more time.

Edited to add, that Hartley can come across as a bit arrogant from time to time. That usually ends up with little sympathy from the fans when things don’t go exactly to plan....

The odd one or two are coming out with we must win the league, its not a huge number. The supporters who dont renew will be because of the season we have had, 3 good wins at the end of a rollercoaster ride of a season wont change their minds not to renew, a decent marque signing may sway them but lets not kid ourselves, thats not gonna happen.

Hartley is no ones friend.....

2 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that with the BoD seemingly giving Hartley major backing next season and everything being geared up for a promotion push, he'll will be gone at the end of the season if we don't go up or at the very least come close.

How is it pretty safe to say the BoD are giving Hartley major backing, we have had one of the board claiming biggest budget, Hartley saying it isnt days later.

I cant see us sacking Hartley unless we get relegated or continue the rollercoaster ride of this season, other than Houston we dont do sackings and Houston had the supporters bored out our napper on his previous season which became a difficult sell for season tickets. If we were a club that was trigger happy we wouldve got rid of Houston after the Utd play offs, tho for me Houston shouldve walked himself

Often listen to podcasts and a lot of ex players say they only have 2/3 real friends from football after leaving it so no time for Hartley to make pals right now.

Let’s get a team of b*****ds who just want to win games of football and get some noise from the stands.

20 minutes ago, MrDust said:

How is it pretty safe to say the BoD are giving Hartley major backing, we have had one of the board claiming biggest budget, Hartley saying it isnt days later.

I cant see us sacking Hartley unless we get relegated or continue the rollercoaster ride of this season, other than Houston we dont do sackings and Houston had the supporters bored out our napper on his previous season which became a difficult sell for season tickets. If we were a club that was trigger happy we wouldve got rid of Houston after the Utd play offs, tho for me Houston shouldve walked himself

The position of any Falkirk manager who fails to make the top 4 is going to be under threat even more so when the league is going to be weaker next season and the BoD have made a huge thing about Hartley being the man to take us up, and the closure of the academy etc

The position of any Falkirk manager who fails to make the top 4 is going to be under threat even more so when the league is going to be weaker next season and the BoD have made a huge thing about Hartley being the man to take us up, and the closure of the academy etc

This absolutely.
When as a board you make a lot of strategic changes to meet your end goal, and the manager fails to deliver, he’s likely to be on a very shoogly peg...

23 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I'm not sure how much weaker the league will be next season... St Mirren aren't amazing, I'd not say they are any better than ross county.  If a play off team goes up partick are going to be probably as good too.  Ayr are considerably better than brechin.  and Raith would be stronger than dumbarton.  

I'm not sure how much weaker the league will be next season... St Mirren aren't amazing, I'd not say they are any better than ross county.  If a play off team goes up partick are going to be probably as good too.  Ayr are considerably better than brechin.  and Raith would be stronger than dumbarton.  

If Patrick come down I reckon they will struggle to make the play offs next year. If Ross County or Dundee come down they would both be a major obstacle budget wise.
Ayr nor Raith have me quaking in my books either although I agree they will probably perform better than this season’s bottom two.

The thing is we're basically on borrowed time now. We've ditched the academy so there is no longer funds being raised from the sale of  young players we've brought in for hee haw. If we're giving the manager a competitive budget we need to balance the books somehow and without promotion i dont see how we are going to do that. My fear is that if we dont get up in the very near future we may be stuck down here for good.

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

If Patrick come down I reckon they will struggle to make the play offs next year. If Ross County or Dundee come down they would both be a major obstacle budget wise.
Ayr nor Raith have me quaking in my books either although I agree they will probably perform better than this season’s bottom two.

I didn't mean that most of them will be challenging, but they will all be able to take points on their day and those kind of points will decide who is likely to win the league (us ofcourse *crosses fingers and toes*

33 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Under threat and having another year on his contract, I think the latter would sway the BoD to sit tight unless we are a shambles again. 

I dont think the board have made such a fuss over Hartley,  they werent exactly gonna say we are looking forward to securing our position in the league with 3 games to go, the same patter came out under Elvis, Holt and Houston

The same board didnt sack Elvis with a worse start than Houston, thats how we are with our BoD

I dont think the league will be weaker at all this upcoming season, we could have 10 full time teams in it for starters and taking a win-less team out of the equation. 

The bookies odds next season will be interesting for the league, we will probably be 4 or 5th favourites for the league

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

This absolutely.
When as a board you make a lot of strategic changes to meet your end goal, and the manager fails to deliver, he’s likely to be on a very shoogly peg...

there was not strategy behind the moves from the board other than shutting down the academy because of £s

The scouting down south wouldve came from Hartley