The Falkirk FC Thread

People will say I should've asked on Thursday but I was busy, anyway 2 points.

1, How does out current budget compare with the rest if the 1st division?

2, When we were relegated our budget was huge and we still finished behind Raith who had part time players on their books.

Both questions I feel make a mockery of Pressleys "budget cuts" crap.

What bet did he lose that meant he had to sign big Jordan?

Sorry, we had to sign Jordan because that's all we could afford.

Fellow Falkirk Fans

We hope you will all be aware we Launched the new look Falkirk Supporters Society on September 27th.

So far we have had some really positive feedback regarding our initiatives but we need to turn that positive feeling into results.

At the Dunfermline game this Saturday those who attended our meeting last week and took forms away, for FSS Membership and our Sharesave Scheme, can hand those in to one of our two bases in the Stadium. One is on the concourse in the Main Stand and the other is based in the South Stand. For those who did not attend last week forms are available at both of these bases and will also be in the Club Shop.

We would be delighted if you can show your support and join. As well as handing these forms in you can also join online and pay via Paypall.

If you require information on our plans, membership and Sharesave you can check the link below

Launch Information link: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/27th-Launch-SUMMARY-2.pdf

Membership Form: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/FSS_Membership_Application.pdfa

About Sharesave: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/?page_id=136

How Sharesave works: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/?page_id=216

Sharesave Application Form: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/?page_id=139

We hope that as many fans as possible join and hopefully sign up for Sharesave. The minimum commitment is less than a round of drinks to help Falkirk Fans have a stronger voice within the club as well as helping the club financially.

Best Regards

The Board of Falkirk Supporters Society

Edited by FFC Supporters

Fellow Falkirk Fans

We hope you will all be aware we Launched the new look Falkirk Supporters Society on September 27th.

So far we have had some really positive feedback regarding our initiatives but we need to turn that positive feeling into results. At the Dunfermline game this Saturday those who attended our meeting last week and took forms away, for FSS Membership and our Sharesave Scheme, can hand those in to one of our two bases in the Stadium. One is on the concourse in the Main Stand and the other is based in the South Stand. For those who did not attend last week forms are available at both of these bases and will also be in the Club Shop.

We would be delighted if you can show your support and join. As well as handing these forms in you can also join online and pay via Paypall.

If you require information on our plans, membership and Sharesave you can check the link below

Launch Information link: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/27th-Launch-SUMMARY-2.pdf Membership Form: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/FSS_Membership_Application.pdfa About Sharesave: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/?page_id=136 How Sharesave works: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/?page_id=216 Sharesave Application Form: http://falkirksupporterssociety.org/?page_id=139 We hope that as many fans as possible join and hopefully sign up for Sharesave. The minimum commitment is less than a round of drinks to help Falkirk Fans have a stronger voice within the club as well as helping the club financially.

Best Regards The Board of Falkirk Supporters Society

I have to admit a certain level of ignorance regarding this .... I take it it's just a rebranded Brainstrust !?

What is the current shareholding and how much of a 'stronger voice' would a 10% shareholding give you - would Martin Ritchie suddenly take any notice of you other than to nurse his erection at the extra funds coming in ?

If you are a rebranded Brainstrust any chance of publishing the clubs response to your letter demanding that Hughes be removed and any combination of May, Pressley or Totten be installed ?

Do you have any plans to pen a similar letter - not in crayon this time - demanded that Pressley be removed - perhaps any funds raised could go towards settling Pressley's contract !?

How did the club vote regarding 'Rangers' in the first - were you asked your opinion beforehand ?

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Good luck btw !

*just occurred to me that there will be a thread over on OneF ..... will have a look !*

Edited by Ned Nederlander

Do you have any plans to pen a similar letter - not in crayon this time - demanded that Pressley be removed - perhaps any funds raised could go towards settling Pressley's contract !?

To be fair, I don't think either of these two had anything to do with that letter, or were Bairnstrust board members at the time. I wouldn't beat them up over that.

Where they do have problems though is that both have pinned themselves very clearly to the Pressley mast over the past 2 years, which makes their position a very uncomfortable one.

BPM in particular came out with some utterly ludicrous pro-Pressley stuff the season before last (suggesting Falkirk's biggest worry would be losing Pressley to a bigger club being a particular highlight).

From reading the OneF stuff, it's a bit like dealing with Martin Ritchie. The new supporters group want to suggest the off the park manoevrings are more important than what's on the park, which is fundamentally wrong. Falkirk's glaring problem at the moment is Pressley, and the diabolical results he is producing. Everything else can wait.

To be fair, I don't think either of these two had anything to do with that letter, or were Bairnstrust board members at the time. I wouldn't beat them up over that.

Fair enough - I did admit a certain level of ignorance - these guys pop up on the radar every now and then but for the best part I just totally ignore them, over the years they (or at least the previous members) have done more to piss me off than to impress me !

Fair enough - I did admit a certain level of ignorance - these guys pop up on the radar every now and then but for the best part I just totally ignore them, over the years they (or at least the previous members) have done more to piss me off than to impress me !

As I understand it, these guys have gone down the "bloodless coup" route of taking over Bairnstrust, rather than stick with the "Bairns For Change" thing that appeared for a few weeks last season, then disappeared, as the results were good on the park.

Ultimately that's it. These groups are irrelevances when the going is good. No one cares. It's only when the manager and/or the board are fucking up royally that they get some publicity, because fans want something to be done.

But the problem is the officeholders cannot be neutral, if they have previously come out in support of the manager, even when results and performances were dire. It's why they are getting a lot of criticism for the pally "Steven" stuff at the meeting last week. They are seen as part of a collective, with the board and the manager as the other elements of the three headed serpent.

So you have a board that treats the fans with disdain, a manager that is miles out of his depth and sinking, and a supporters group that is tying itself to both, at a time when actual fan feeling is with neither. I think that's a pretty invidious position to be in.

Everyone knows Pressley has to go. However, if you have been a Pressley fluffer since the start, and have met the guy and maybe even get on well with him, it's difficult to say what needs to be said.

It's why a lot of criticism of Pressley is challenged with irrelevant garbage about how hard he tries, or how nice a guy he is, or how well he speaks, or what visions he has for the club. All of which is meaningless.

As I understand it, these guys have gone down the "bloodless coup" route of taking over Bairnstrust, rather than stick with the "Bairns For Change" thing that appeared for a few weeks last season, then disappeared, as the results were good on the park.

Ultimately that's it. These groups are irrelevances when the going is good. No one cares. It's only when the manager and/or the board are fucking up royally that they get some publicity, because fans want something to be done.

But the problem is the officeholders cannot be neutral, if they have previously come out in support of the manager, even when results and performances were dire. It's why they are getting a lot of criticism for the pally "Steven" stuff at the meeting last week. They are seen as part of a collective, with the board and the manager as the other elements of the three headed serpent.

So you have a board that treats the fans with disdain, a manager that is miles out of his depth and sinking, and a supporters group that is tying itself to both, at a time when actual fan feeling is with neither. I think that's a pretty invidious position to be in.

Everyone knows Pressley has to go. However, if you have been a Pressley fluffer since the start, and have met the guy and maybe even get on well with him, it's difficult to say what needs to be said.

It's why a lot of criticism of Pressley is challenged with irrelevant garbage about how hard he tries, or how nice a guy he is, or how well he speaks, or what visions he has for the club. All of which is meaningless.

Your bottom two paragraphs are a bit contradictory, but I get what you are saying, and can't disagree with it. I mentioned elsewhere that it's a bit of the Stockholm syndrome, in that Pressley does indeed come across as a nice guy, and he does give it his all, and for anyone who gets close to that, then as you say, if inside they think, "yep he has to go", it's not an easy thing to get across. There's perhaps real value in any Trust Rep actually having next to zero contact/relationship with a management team. It might simply cloud matters when they do have that kind of contact.

I have backed off of criticising Pressley on the back of the meeting nine or ten days ago, and have allowed his passionate plea about "mitigating circumstances" to sway me......somewhat. However, long termism can't be the only consideration. Footie really is all about a fix of instant gratification once a week. When that enjoyment evaporates, then for most of us, there isn't a whole lot left.

I'm sure most of us have said in the past "get them duffers out of the team, and give the kids a chance, they won't be any worse". Well, we've kind of got that now, and truth be told, they actually are worse, because there's simply too damned many of them. The balance in the team is chronically out of kilter, and while I reckon two experienced players in, and two younger players out would make a world of difference, I'm damn near certain our BoD won't see it that way.

At the end of the day, the head that the fans want to see roll is the managers, and the head that a BoD will be first to concede is the managers. The biggest issue for Pressley is one of time. If we'd kept Farid and Millar and Wallace, and added Taylor and added maybe even Flynn, we'd be an entirely different prospect........but the BoD wanted cash.....not to fix Pressley's mistakes, but to cover for their own.

Maybe the fact that Pressley simply let that happen will in the final analysis, be his undoing, because we aren't a side that's a game or two away from meshing together, we're a side that's probably a year away from that, and anyone who shines between now and then will quickly be sold off to the highest bidder.

Did you know that visiting scouts now get handed a crib sheet of all our players, their background, age and experience to better help them reach their "bid or no bid" conclusion? It's effectively our own little version of Autotrader for players. If and when Pressley goes, then whoever replaces him has got his work cut out as much with our BoD as with our players.

We aren't a "selling club". We are a club that actively seeks to sell. Pressley might not have twigged (and resisted) that in sufficient time to save his own skin.

Edited by Guest

I have backed off of criticising Pressley on the back of the meeting nine or ten days ago, and have allowed his passionate plea about "mitigating circumstances" to sway me......somewhat.

More fool you. It's that kind of dimwitted approach from too many Falkirk fans that has put the club in the mess it is in today.

BPM in particular came out with some utterly ludicrous pro-Pressley stuff the season before last (suggesting Falkirk's biggest worry would be losing Pressley to a bigger club being a particular highlight).

I don't recall that. But suggesting, as he did last season, that Kallum Higginbotham was the best player in the First Division, shows him up as someone whose judgement is seriously flawed.

As does his questioning fans, including myself, who suggested Falkirk should gone for Jefferies as soon as he was binned by Hearts last year.

The folly of not doing so will become even more evident over the coming weeks and months, regardless of the result today.

but the BoD wanted cash.....not to fix Pressley's mistakes, but to cover for their own.

Well, not really.

Pressley's failures as a manager, both in relegating us, then in failing to win promotion with a massive budget the following season, are the two main causes of Falkirk's financial problems.

I don't recall that.

He said when Pressley left Falkirk it would not be having been sacked. It would be because he was moving on to bigger and better things.

He said we were very lucky to have him, and that he would manage at a much higher level than Falkirk.

There's perhaps real value in any Trust Rep actually having next to zero contact/relationship with a management team. It might simply cloud matters when they do have that kind of contact.

I don't like Trusts, or any such Supporters' groups having any regular involvement with the board or the manager. It creates a disconnect between them and the fans, and turns them into what is, rightly or wrongly, seen as a group of sausage roll munchers, or sycophants to the manager.

The Trust should have a conduit to the board, but that should ONLY be to report to them fans' concerns (intimated through their own membership process) or receive dead drop info from the board for onward transmission. No cosy chats, no embarrassing pat on the head "we'll let you sit on the board, give you a lemonade and some cookies, as long as you promise not to tell the fans anything that happens...good doggie" set-ups which benefit only one side.

There;s nothing wrong with the Trust conduit having a personal opinion, on the manager or any other aspect of the runniung of the club, as long as they air that only at their own internal meetings and represent the Trust's members' collective voice whatever that may be.

The Trust should have resigned from the board after being treated with contempt over the Sevco vote debacle, and this sharesave scheme should have been launched separately from any board representation.

All IMO obviously. Others I am sure will disagree.