The Falkirk FC Thread

I remember watching Falkirk play Albion rovers there. Think we perhaps got beat actually. Sure Big Davie Beaton scored . Dreadful place to watch football not helped by the rocks getting flung over the terrace wall by the local neds.

I remember the bricks getting chucked onto the roof, maybe it’s the same game and I’m misremembering a few details.

56 minutes ago, ka202 said:

I remember the bricks getting chucked onto the roof, maybe it’s the same game and I’m misremembering a few details.

Think i remember that game was that not an end of season game that one was a scorching day ? 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yeah but you don't say your staying at Falkirk due to LOYALTY and then bolt when they offer you more cash.  That just makes you out to be a bullshitting wee p***k.  

Fair enough point.

I assume McCall thought that was the end of the Utd interest and said that to rally the Falkirk fans.

Put it this way I don't believe he said that to make Utd up the offer.

I don't think they particularly want to stay in the Championship.

I just think they don't care either way, and neither do a lot of our fans.

Come on Gaz, you know that latter statement is rubbish.

Can’t you recollect the queues around the stadium for play off final tickets a couple of years ago?

The fans are desperate to see us compete at the highest level again and the fact that we all don’t have a shared vision of what is best for the Club at the moment does not change that fact.

32 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Come on Gaz, you know that latter statement is rubbish.

Can’t you recollect the queues around the stadium for play off final tickets a couple of years ago?

The fans are desperate to see us compete at the highest level again and the fact that we all don’t have a shared vision of what is best for the Club at the moment does not change that fact.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

You can still have queues for playoff tickets and a lot of fans who don't care what division we're in.

It's not a zero-sum game.

20 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Rays comments in the Sun re Morton is interesting. More to the story than anyone is willing to say

I don’t want to stoke any fires. I just want to go down, play the game and move on.

“People can say what they want. I know the truth — and that’s the bottom line.

Cos Stone Cold McKinnon said so.

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I remember watching Falkirk play Albion rovers there. Think we perhaps got beat actually. Sure Big Davie Beaton scored . Dreadful place to watch football not helped by the rocks getting flung over the terrace wall by the local neds.

If it’s the game I am thinking about, it was Albion Rovers we played. Their colours were very similar to Patrick’s, but a lot more yellow. We got beat 2-1 I think. I thought Beaton  got himself sent off.

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Fair enough point.

I assume McCall thought that was the end of the Utd interest and said that to rally the Falkirk fans.

Put it this way I don't believe he said that to make Utd up the offer.

Everybody has their price.  Put yourself in his place, turns down the job then they come back and offer ? lets say  20k signing on fee 20% more on the wages offered  + improved bonus. In the real world its a case of ' where do I sign '  I don't hold it against McColl and it's a case of what if he had stayed. His team was one of the most attractive footballing sides since the Willie Cunningham era and that is a big compliment.

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Everybody has their price.  Put yourself in his place, turns down the job then they come back and offer ? lets say  20k signing on fee 20% more on the wages offered  + improved bonus. In the real world its a case of ' where do I sign '  I don't hold it against McColl and it's a case of what if he had stayed. His team was one of the most attractive footballing sides since the Willie Cunningham era and that is a big compliment.

All he needed to do was be honest. I'd rather he'd said absolutely feck all instead of his loyalty is my mantra pish . He just ripped the pish out the fans that had backed him for the last 6 months. Noone grudges a person the chance to earn more cash but the way he carried on was a disgrace at the time. 

6 hours ago, ka202 said:

Did Patrick thistle ever play falkirk at Albion rovers ground?

For some reason I remember this happening, I could have dreamt it I don’t know.

I remember being there maybe 20 odd years ago. Pissing with rain on a winters night, either a Tuesday or Wednesday, standing opposite the main stand under a corrugated asbestos roof with holes all over it. Soaking wet right through. That’s the first time I thought ‘I’m not sure if this is for me’.

You have to go through bad times to appreciate how good the good times actually are.

We’re shite just now, but so what? We’ll be back.

We played Hamilton there in November 97. I remember Paul McGrillen going mental at the ref when he was fouled just outside the box.

https://sites.google.com/site/hamiltonacademicalmemorybank/seasons/199495--200001-groundless-seasons/1997-98/1997-11-15-falkirk

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

All he needed to do was be honest. I'd rather he'd said absolutely feck all instead of his loyalty is my mantra pish . He just ripped the pish out the fans that had backed him for the last 6 months. Noone grudges a person the chance to earn more cash but the way he carried on was a disgrace at the time. 

You make a fair point and think McColl regrets how it ended.  I believe he meant what he said at the time but the situation changed.  Am prepared to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

5 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I have no complaints at all with McCall leaving, having turned them down probably doubling his wages first time, then for them to treble or even quadruple his wage is a no brainer, probably earned more a year than he ever did as a player.

Footballers and managers quotes of loyalty, not leaving,this is is the only club I ever....etc can at times hit them on the arse days,weeks,years later.

Edited by MrDust

25 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

You make a fair point and think McColl regrets how it ended.  I believe he meant what he said at the time but the situation changed.  Am prepared to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

13 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

You wot m9? 

He's made a right RS of that

71e.jpg

Edited by Gaz