The Falkirk FC Thread

We were 90 minutes away from it at Killiei ts took us years to get over the next level pish from the Yogi era, look at Dundee Utd we got bad breaks of having sevco, hibs and hearts in the league at the same time so that accounts for 3 of the 10 years in this division.  Call it deluded if you want its seeing the reality of the situation i would be more pissed off if you could hit me with the argument we didnt make the play offs .  As i mentioned Houstie was going stale and we didnt replace the quality we lost, thats where the biggest issue was.  We took chances with trying to do things differently they backfired,

The same championship jobbers doing the rounds with the clubs wasnt paying off they tried something different  it didnt work.  As knee jerk said most of the decisions the board has made is decisions the fans would want we wanted Houston out we got it we wanted hartley in we got it, we wanted Hartley out we got it,  we wanted a different recruiting policy we got it. 

We got bad breaks when the big three were in our league?

Bullshit

The season before we went top of the league in January. By that time we knew Hearts were coming down and Sevco were coming up. We then signed a LB, when we had the best in the league, and a CF who cost us nothing. We ended up missing out by 2 or 3 points. Even a modest investment that January would have seen us win that league as those investing knew they would get their cash back with Rangers and Hearts in the league. So let’s not play any hard luck card on our part. The MSG are happy to plod along. If people can’t see that by now they must have been living on Mars for 10 years

36 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We got bad breaks when the big three were in our league?

Bullshit

The season before we went top of the league in January. By that time we knew Hearts were coming down and Sevco were coming up. We then signed a LB, when we had the best in the league, and a CF who cost us nothing. We ended up missing out by 2 or 3 points. Even a modest investment that January would have seen us win that league as those investing knew they would get their cash back with Rangers and Hearts in the league. So let’s not play any hard luck card on our part. The MSG are happy to plod along. If people can’t see that by now they must have been living on Mars for 10 years

A glimmer of hope with the Ms Low appointing Gary Caldwell at Partick because his preparation for the interview was better than the rest. QUANGO speak for he talked a good game. 

Given his actual track record I suspect they could be a team we could catch with some decent recruitment  in january. Caldwell has successfully led his last 2 clubs to relegation and I can only see thistle going the same way if they keep him long enough ! 

Edited by Stainrod

Since the 2010/11 season, (not including this season obviously), we have finished behind Sevco, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee, Dundee United, Dunfermline, Morton, QotS, Livingston, Raith Rovers, Ross County, Partick Thistle, St Mirren, Hamilton and ICT.

In a ten team league, and for a club that sees itself as one of the bigger fish in a small pond, it takes some doing to finish behind 15 different clubs in 8 seasons ........a few  of them more than once. This season will also bump those figures up considerably.

A glimmer of hope with the Ms Low appointing Gary Caldwell at Partick because his preparation for the interview was better than the rest. QUANGO speak for he talked a good game. 
Given his actual track record I suspect they could be a team we could catch with some decent recruitment  in january. Caldwell has successfully led his last 2 clubs to relegation and I can only see thistle going the same way if they keep him long enough ! 

No chance with our squad. We will need 7/8 in January minimum and of those 3/4 will have to be much better than Championship quality for us to catch up. I live near Chesterfield and that was a job he should not have taken. He also got Wigan promoted.

Even if we were to accept that the BoD are only involved in the club for personal and/or financial gain, surely there's far more chance for that in the Premier League, where the TV, league placing and gate money will all be substantially higher. Not to mention the fact that surely it's more enjoyable for them to be wined and dined at Ibrox, Celtic Park and Tynecastle than Somerset Park and Alloa.

Have they made mistakes? Absolutely. But the idea that they want to stay in the championship is complete and utter bollocks.

Edited by EdiBairn

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Seen Liam Smith at the Scotland under 21s tonight and I don’t know why never had him in our sights in the summer.

Thought the same. Did you see him clear the ball up the line and it stay in the park? Amazing scenes. 

9 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

How bad it is that we have a board who back managers and an excellent commercial department.  Unfortunately our best team since we went down landed in a perfect storm of a league with teams like hibs, rangers, hearts and Dundee united in the league. Football is a matter of judgement, clubs can be terribly run but have a good team or the other way round. Without hindsight tell me where the board went wrong? Sack Houston? 90% of fans were for this. Getting Hartley in? Again most were for this. Backing hartley's signings? In the summer after seeing the players he'd got in january, again fans were happy to let Hartley sign players.  Sacking Hartley? Again board acted swiftly and almost no-one would argue he had to go! I stood outside brockville shouting at the deans and Fulton but i'm not going to slag people for doing what people wanted done. Hopefully Ray can get the football side right and we move on and upwards, COYB. 

One thing, they forced this Bransford Model on us & dumped the academy despite the offer from elsewhere to cover the costs, without even consulting us- but still telling us it's "YOUR CLUB". Not hindsight - disagreed with it at the time and still do.  But I'm not getting into an argument about it , only answering your question.

First season of this brave new world and we are bottom of the league with a bag o f sh*te for a team. & no sell-able assets.  

Call me naive but if the board went who would run the club? We are a club who do not have an owner but are run by a group of people who appear to own a fair amount of shares between them. Is there other candidates who currently have shares who would like to try to do better or is it a case of begging for someone to take us over? Think we have been there with Deans and Fulston. A fans buy out would be brilliant but when it was tried not many hands went into pockets. Who do we want to take us over? Just asking like

7 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

If the bod hadn't made such a can't of it when Hughes left we'd more than likely still be in the top flight. I obviously am not blaming lang and Campbell for that one but a lot of the clowns behind the may appointment are still hanging about like bad smells unfortunately.

Yup.

It was obvious by the end of September that season that Eddie May, while a decent guy, was hopelessly out of his depth and deserved to be punted.

That he was allowed to stay on until fucking February (and then resign rather than being punted) was a crime.

3 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

But the idea that they want to stay in the championship is complete and utter bollocks.

I don't think they particularly want to stay in the Championship.

I just think they don't care either way, and neither do a lot of our fans.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Yup.

It was obvious by the end of September that season that Eddie May, while a decent guy, was hopelessly out of his depth and deserved to be punted.

That he was allowed to stay on until fucking February (and then resign rather than being punted) was a crime.

May wanted to resign in December, he knew he couldn't sort out the mess he's got us in. George Craig persuaded him to stay on. 

And was still trying to get him to stay on in February whilst Rome was burnt to a crisp all around them.

We have never recovered from this. 

10 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Even if we were to accept that the BoD are only involved in the club for personal and/or financial gain, surely there's far more chance for that in the Premier League, where the TV, league placing and gate money will all be substantially higher. Not to mention the fact that surely it's more enjoyable for them to be wined and dined at Ibrox, Celtic Park and Tynecastle than Somerset Park and Alloa.

Have they made mistakes? Absolutely. But the idea that they want to stay in the championship is complete and utter bollocks.

I'm pretty certain that everyone involved at the club want to be in premiership. The fact is it's obvious we don't have the skill set or structure to get us there. Ten years of failure in any role means its time to try something different. Someone at the club  is redponsible for the plan that has put us in our current predicament and they should go. The danger is there next decision is just as wrong and on and on until operation third lanark is no longer a joke. I'm sick of all this negative banter at least changing something other than the manger or the players would give us fresh hope. I'm going to Morton out of loyalty not any hope of enjoyment or pride. How sad is that.

Edited by Stainrod

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yup.

Never mind that he should've never got the bloody gig in the first place.  Established Premier league side, first class academy,great facilities, european football  and people were queuing up for the bloody job. So what do we do we give it to the shmuck that runs the kiddies sides. Possibly the single most ludicrous decision in the history of Falkirk football club and we're still paying for the bod and George feckin Craigs utter stupidity.  But never mind these people try so thats okay then.

Not really your club related. but I see free agent Nick Ross has signed for Brora Rangers.

You have to think he would've been a decent signing for both Falkirk and my club.  Would certainly improve both sides.

20 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

It feels like 10 years since I’ve even seen a Falkirk right back.

We had Dean holden and Jack Ross at the club at the same time for a while and since then it’s been a haunted position bar 6 months of Kieran Duffie crossing the ball to Farid and even then he couldn’t defend.

36 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not really your club related. but I see free agent Nick Ross has signed for Brora Rangers.

You have to think he would've been a decent signing for both Falkirk and my club.  Would certainly improve both sides.

Brora still got a bit of money behind them?