The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

Hid on the pitch for me as a player and popped up with a few goals and by no means a legend or close, the only legendary thing about him is the transfer fee and two players we got for him as his career went downward.

The Brentford fans absolutely love him more than Cadette, I'd have Cadette way above him

Scored a few good and vital goals from Midfield, but agree, you could have folded his strip, and put it in the hamper every week without washing it, as he never worked up a sweat.

16 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Won the Premier League player of the year but seen as not good enough by Hughes along with a pile of other players that went on to bigger and better things.   Roman Wallner was another he deemed no good enough  although the next thing you know he's playing for red bull salzburg in the champ league. The guy was utterly clueless at times.

4 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Yep, the 'utterly clueless' manager who gave us two 7th placed finishes in the SPL, our first(and probably only) European adventure and a cup final. 

Utterly clueless indeed.

at times,            don't think many would disagree with that

5 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Yep, the 'utterly clueless' manager who gave us two 7th placed finishes in the SPL, our first(and probably only) European adventure and a cup final. 

Utterly clueless indeed.

I did say at times.  Denzil Theobald another one nearly 100 caps for T & T played in a world cup and yet couldn't get one single game for us and yet he gave dross like Kevin McBride 43 games,  Yes he did a grand job for us but if it hadn't been for his utterly clueless phases and his inability to win many games between january and april we may have ended up top 6 and won a cup.

43 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

A bit harsh. May was the kind of playing we've been crying out for for seasons.  A midfielder who actually supported and got past the strikers.  Who can forget his back flick finish to that tremendous goal at Broomfield all those years ago. Not many players like him about these days especially at our level. 

Notice you mention a game he scored in, games he didnt, he really was lucky to spot on the park either for his work effort, tackling or passing. I never seen anything in his game bar a goal or two. Motherwell played him at right back also and his career slumped

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Notice you mention a game he scored in, games he didnt, he really was lucky to spot on the park either for his work effort, tackling or passing. I never seen anything in his game bar a goal or two. Motherwell played him at right back also and his career slumped

Yeah but you could say that about all players of his type.  Stuart Taylor was the last we had that I can think of although Stevie Thompson did it on the odd occasion , Alston also when given the chance.  We've had squads full of sitting midfielders over the past few years.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Just goes to show we could have had a great team if Hughes hadn't blown the budget on guys who were past it.

'Hughes' and 'blown the budget' are synonymous in Scottish football.

Utterly clueless indeed.

I think it proved that Latapy was the key to his success. Went to shit when the wee man left us and the same at Inverness.

8 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:
9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:
Heard Kenny Miller on BBC Sportsound talking about playing "John Hughes" Falkirk" in the Scottish Cup Final . Said Rangers were played off the park , "Nacho scored a worldy" which must be a new word for fluke and "they had us on pop" which I think means Rangers were getting the runaround.
Forget the Inverness final debacle , I think that remains our greatest opportunity for ...err... greatness. Nearly our finest hour.
A few months later George Craig appointed his mate Eddie May and the rest was history.  You can chart our downward spiral from there.

Spoke to Eddie May about 4 years ago at a recruitment event at Hampden Park.

What's the opposite of name dropping?

9 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

I'd rather not. Is he mid to late 30s and fucking smug looking? If so, that's him.

Starting to think i was at school with you too.

Falkirk High mid 90s?

ETA it's no him

Edited by Gaz FFC

8 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Won the Premier League player of the year but seen as not good enough by Hughes along with a pile of other players that went on to bigger and better things.   Roman Wallner was another he deemed no good enough  although the next thing you know he's playing for red bull salzburg in the champ league. The guy was utterly clueless at times.

I never understood the non playing of Walllner whom was an Austrian international player at the time.  I remember fans screaming out for him to come on & Hughes just ignored it.

Yogi had a tendency to fall out with players and a lot of that was based on a poor showing in training.  Then contradicted himself by letting Latapy away with it - which I agree with as he was an exceptional player when it came to match time. 

I could not give a toss what players do in training it's all about the 90mins.  Hartley used to bang on about how hard they were working in training and how well it was going in training whilst we lost every match this season. 

10 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

I never understood the non playing of Walllner whom was an Austrian international player at the time.  I remember fans screaming out for him to come on & Hughes just ignored it.

Yogi had a tendency to fall out with players and a lot of that was based on a poor showing in training.  Then contradicted himself by letting Latapy away with it - which I agree with as he was an exceptional player when it came to match time. 

I could not give a toss what players do in training it's all about the 90mins.  Hartley used to bang on about how hard they were working in training and how well it was going in training whilst we lost every match this season. 

I remember Souness talking about how le Tissier would only train if it involved a ball as he didn't really do running. 

One of the best players going at the time and a joy to watch. 

I'm sick of manager's trying to turn guys that should be doing Athletics into football players. 

Every week you see these guys running around like a duracell bunny doing absolutely feck all. 

First and foremost can they play Football, not are they over 6ft with nice hair a sleeve Tattoo and look good in the pictures from hospitality after we've been spanked again. 

13 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

He never got a game because he would not follow instructions. He believed he was bigger than the club and could do his own thing.  Latapy was a genius on the park and not only followed instructions but helped work out the gameplan.