The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

They must be desperate . First the boy fae Camelon Juniors whose was playing in a shit awful league and now O'Hara who couldnt kick his own arse.

tbf on that one the Camelon Juniors bit isnt a good example as thats where we signed Crunchie from

He's played the same way at every club he's managed. I guess he could change, after being a defensive manager and getting us relegated last season? I'm not hiding my breath though. 
The pressures on him will be different this season. He will be under no illusions he needs to win the league, which is why I think he'll play differently. If he doesn't, then he deserves to go

Not defending the man here, but rhe damage was done when Hartleys duds were signed, he had to make the best of what was the shittiest hand anyone could have been dealt with.  Though i think there was a lot of holding out for or hoping for draws to keep us in the league when we should have went all out attack.

Edited by AL-FFC

11 minutes ago, TottsTrumps said:

This is the bit that worries me.  Fan ownership would be perfect but this desperation to get rid of MSG at any cost is worrying. Be careful what you wish for.

There are much worse things which could happen to the club than owners who are a bit trigger happy on the old social media posts.

the original BtB scheme is the only options to them now if a change in ownership is happening, all other bids or potential bids are off the table or never materialised.

Hopefully at the EGM the pressure can be applied so they go with KJ plan, like they all originally agreed to.

6 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

tbf on that one the Camelon Juniors bit isnt a good example as thats where we signed Crunchie from

Crunchie wasnt playing in the East of Scotland Conference C though mate.  The standard of the junior league teams  back then and the super league recently even was far better than the pish floating about in that league last season.  Feck sake Camelon were winning 12 and 13 nil some weeks against absolute dross. 

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
21 minutes ago, renton said:
Did his first ACL in a cup game the week before that season began. It was Grant Murray who actually made Vaughan a first team regular for us (as well as Callachan).

As you are here, tell us your thoughts on Ray, specifically in an attacking sense.

Probably written it here before, but there was essentially 2 McKinnon Raith teams.  The Mk.1 team was quite lightweight, particularly in the middle of the park. The loss of Vaughan early doors meant he relied on Mark Stewart and Craig Wighton. We really saw the worst of Wighton playing in a role that Dundee fans felt wasn't his best. Later he also brought in Daly, to provide an immobile lump for us to hit long balls at. This seems to be a weakness for him.

We started the season with James Craigen, Grant Anderson and Mitch Megginson in the wide berths. Craigen's signing was very much out of left field but that season it worked - he was creative, held the ball well and basically drifted in field off of the left a lot to make a third body in the middle, supporting the strikers - I'm pretty sure he got double figures for us that season (including one utter top drawer effort against Alloa). Megginson was widely felt to be a player who'd agreed terms with Murray but that McKinnon had honoured the deal. Anderson was already at the club. Megginson never managed to be more than a bit part player it must be said. 

So, yeah the Mk.1 team lacked a bit of force in the middle of the park and actually we did start the season badly light up front, not entirely of McKinnon's making, but his contribution through the summer to the attack was one loan player, who played his entire spell in a more advanced role than he was prepared for. Stewart and Vaughan had put together a very good run together in the final third of Murray's last season so he maybe had felt that his main issues were with getting more goals across the park and steadying the defence. We'd been absolute dug shite at the back for a couple of seasons - not helped by Craig Barr's permacrocking - but Benedictus and Toshney were McKinnon's two most important summer signings as they did massively improve the entire defence - Rory Mckeown looked a different player not having a bombscare like Ross Perry beside him.

So, we got to January, pretty much 4th where we'd been all season but with literally no forwards left (Stewart was out with his recurring injury from having one leg shorter than the other). McKinnon went to town on forwards signings at that point, bringing in Longridge, Panayiotou and Hardie on loan, as well as picking up a disillusioned Aiden Connolly, still smarting from his Dundee United exit. Longridge took a while to get over fans first impressions of him - being played out of position, up top in a frustrating 1-0 defeat to Alloa - but went on to play well out wide (this was pretty much him trying to get more quality out, Megginson subsequently left and Anderson was also edged out of the team. Panayiotou never really amounted to too much either, although he scored two fairly memorable goals against Hibs and The Rangers. Hardie was the real star and just looked a total class above. Connolly is an interesting one - his dumping by United seemed to put a rocket up his arse and what we saw was a man playing out of his skin, albeit still not actually starting week in, week out. 

The real big change in Rovers in the back half of the season was Craig Barr giving us his 3 months of fitness. He slotted into Centre back, allowing Toshney to move up into a defensive midfield role alongside Callachan who provided the box to box movement (and he's no physical pushover either). That meant that you had this absolute solid box of players through the middle to back of the team: Barr and Bene at centre back, Toshney and Callachan in centre mid. Added so much brute force to the side and allowed the forwards to play with a degree of freedom. If Anderson had long made a virtue out of being able to cover his full back effectively, Connolly was freed from that constraint to a degree by the players behind him. 

He also gave first team runouts to David bates and Ross Matthews, so he wasn't shy of playing youth either. Finally, for a few games he brought in Joel Thomas because McKinnon just loves a big b*****ding unit up top if he can get his hands on one. I think overall he'd correctly identified that our defence and midfield were poor, and he did manage to add goals from Craigen in the summer window, and his defensive signings were top notch. McCord never really worked out for us, which is a shame because he was technically able (as proven time and time again) but lacked the mobility to get around the park. Even had Vaughan stayed fit he'd still have left us light up front I think, in August. You can point to his loan signings and Hardie stands out above all else, on the other hand neither Panayiotou or Wighton, two very different players, really worked out. Which suggests that McKinnon was't working to a prescribed plan to any close degree but was simply dredging for players of a perceived ability.  He seemed to have a better eye for adding quality to midfield but then again, near the end of his tenure he signed Bobby Barr on a PCA, which turned out to be a really shite idea. I think had he stayed we'd have been nowhere near relegation, he'd certainly not have dropped Vaughan as he's the kind of clever, technical player that McKinnon likes (albeit he'd also have found the biggest, immobile lump to play alongside him).

So yeah, McKinnon's season with us absolutely pivoted on a strong showing in the winter window that often isn't that stacked with quality.  

^^^too long to read.
Controversially perhaps, I prefer that to theories that Ray is happy to play association football without a forward line.

Of course, we are finding out first hand (as is the only way usually unless you watch a shit ton of football) Rays limitations, but I liked his Raith team in the latter half of that seaaon as described by renton I think he can put together a big strong energetic team of the sort I quite like watching.

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:
15 minutes ago, Russ said:
Imagine greeting that we’ve no got enough players signed up a whole month before the league season starts. FFS.

I know what you mean but there's a competitive cup game a week on Saturday. Need more positions filled this week.

I agree .You would expect us to have the vast majority of the squad signed up by the time the league cup starts. After that it should really be an extra player here or there only.

Edited by Shodwall cat

I agree .You would expect us to have the vast majority of the squad signed up by the time the league cup starts. After that it should really be an extra player here or there only.
For which we are well on track IMO

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

For which we are well on track IMO

Apart from up front.   We need at least 3 strikers and need at least two to be in for the start of the league cup campaign.

Apart from up front.   We need at least 3 strikers and need at least two to be in for the start of the league cup campaign.
Yeah agreed. But a week on Saturday is more than enough time. And I am working on the assumption that Denny Johnstone is as good as signed. I just hope he is good to go.

13 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

Denny Johnstone will be a 10 goal a season player at the very best.  I'd keep the Kleenex in the cupboard for the time being.

Its an upgrade on DL and Haber from last season with 10 goals compared to nae goals.