The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The second year option must have been upto the player is the only thing i can think of, is he not local so any move away would have meant travel time, petrol money etc

If it was, then that is mental.

The guy had been honking at his past few clubs and you let him decide if he can stay, whoever wrote that contract was nuts, but doesn't surprise me.

10 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The second year option must have been upto the player is the only thing i can think of 

Depends on how badly a manager wants a player, how aggressively an agent negotiates with a potential employer or what other options the player has. I know we weren't the only club that CS had interest from. 

Sometimes the "what if" clauses will be balanced in favour of the player and sometimes it's the other way round. Promotion  / relegation ones seem to be a regular feature as do the number of appearances. 

35 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Depends on how badly a manager wants a player, how aggressively an agent negotiates with a potential employer or what other options the player has. I know we weren't the only club that CS had interest from. 

Sometimes the "what if" clauses will be balanced in favour of the player and sometimes it's the other way round. Promotion  / relegation ones seem to be a regular feature as do the number of appearances.

Name and shame the other clubs Sammon had interest from, we could all do with a laugh! 

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

tbf it was McKinnon that signed him so that says it all we gave 2 yr options to Telfer and Durnan as well that says it all to me

Sammon got a two year deal whilst durnan and telfer were given one year with one year options which is why they have had there contracts extended to the end of July.

Re: new signings, it's getting the right manger(s) that we need to get sorted first and M & M just don't do it for me. If we don't get out of this shite league this season we're f*cked, we'll be down here forever. We need to get somebody more experienced in as McCall has too much nous for M & M.

What does everybody else think re: M & M, keep or bin?

This "One Must Go" Quiz Will Be Impossible For People Who Love ...

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Re: new signings, it's getting the right manger(s) that we need to get sorted first and M & M just don't do it for me. If we don't get out of this shite league this season we're f*cked, we'll be down here forever. We need to get somebody more experienced in as McCall has too much nous for M & M.

This "One Must Go" Quiz Will Be Impossible For People Who Love ...

Always said it was a huge gamble going for a couple of rookies in what was an important season for us but they haven't done anything to merit losing their jobs. I think the club needs to stick by them and hope for the best. Recruitment is so important, need to get that right.

I agree though if we don't get promoted out of this league next season it will truly be the beginning of the wilderness years.     

04f39b82fb5e064f552825ad76c17778.jpg&key=97814de232d5ce7d83babb323a9ed60354ebb246d6830933c882509ff30d775f

I think in terms of motivation and fitness they will be good. In terms of tactics and team setup they will scrape into good enough. In terms of squad building and transfer business, well I worry. And that last one will see the other two fall short of what we need.

Haha! I feel pretty sorry for him. He never really impressed but hit a goal run in the top flight and, as is the norm at Dens, a large section of fans made him out to be Caballero-esque. He's had his off field problems and a few injury problems too so I wouldn't be against him getting one more season to try and turn things around. Big *however long* coming up for him at Dens. 
How's Todd been? 

Meh and injured

Guest Ecosse83

Sammon has been pretty pish overall but what chance have you got when fans are having a pop at you before even touching the ball. There's quite a few fans in that south stand that are well basically arseholes!

Regarding the managers they deserve a chance, probably not ideal that it's our most important close season in probably forever so the pressure is on. Good luck to them, they will probably need it!

I think M&M deserve the chance. Some fans are saying that we shouldn’t entrust this season in rookie managers and we should get in experience, but Hartley and McKinnon were both experienced and look at how that turned out.

M&M will be judged on this window. January isn’t the best window to get players but they should be able to assemble a decent team this window if they have what it takes.

12 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Sammon has been pretty pish overall but what chance have you got when fans are having a pop at you before even touching the ball. There's quite a few fans in that south stand that are well basically arseholes!

Really? If Sammon looked like he could give a fcuk, that would be a start.   Opposition defenders probably couldn't believe their luck last season, he offered so little as a threat my mum could probably mark him  during a game. 

God help us if he's first choice in October. 

A creative midfielder should be the first thing on our shopping list for this season. Too often we struggled to create chances against the other top 3 teams last year along with some of the other clubs when we played them away from home (Peterhead and Clyde spring to mind).

I worry that we'll struggle to replace McManus's goals even if we sign two strikers in his place. As much as I dislike hearing any Falkirk getting abuse from the home stands Sammon just looked like he couldn't be arsed more often than naught and got worse as the season went on last year. The idea we might be relying mainly on him to do the business for us this season gives me the fear.

As we get into the signings window now can we agree on 2 things...  Just because we've signed some sh*te older payers in the past it doesn't mean that all older players are sh*te.  Likewise,  Hartley signing dud younger players does not mean all younger players are sh*te.  The amount of times people post "but we tried that in the past" type comments...

11 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

As we get into the signings window now can we agree on 2 things...  Just because we've signed some sh*te older payers in the past it doesn't mean that all older players are sh*te.  Likewise,  Hartley signing dud younger players does not mean all younger players are sh*te.  The amount of times people post "but we tried that in the past" type comments...

Must agree with you.

Best player I saw was Scott McDonald with Partick.

Completely ruled the roost but God knows he old he was.

Need good players from both ends of the spectrum.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Its getting the right mixture that is important. Last year we badly lacked young legs in the middle of the park. Gomis and Miller played together too often in my opinion. Was the same the year before with osman and paton.

Thing is i think Gomis done well with the creativity as far as leadership goes Miller was the outstanding choice to be captain the trouble is it didnt work together with the 2 of them on the park.

Thing with Sammon he needs the ball at his fett hoofball doesnt work for him the problem is teams knew we wanted to keep it on the deck keep it on the deck we are fine resort to hoofball we are pretty much fcuked. 

It’s fascinating to see how often some fans will buy into the something better must be out there with regard to managers. M&M did, from what I saw, a pretty solid job of turning a team that was busily cutting its own throat into a side that damn near pipped us at the (early) post by playing a more aggressive game. They probably made a mistake running with so few players after the January window, but it nearly paid off anyway, and no one will tell what guidance the BoD lumbered them with.

The first Raith game, Ray was pushing for a tie as he seemed to have clearly directed the team to pull the horns in for the second half. The next two games, the limits of the Falkirk midfield were the factor as the Raith midfield had reached a nice playing understanding. With a solid midfielder or two, and M&M more aggressive approach, you should do pretty well. It might even be worth considering a complement to Gomis, someone that isn’t a whole game type, but has plenty of ability and can give you a solid half...it’s not ideal, but otherwise Gomis will likely not be an every game starter.