The Falkirk FC Thread

Teams will quite rightly try and pick up Morrison to nullify him but there is an easy solution to this. If the managers can give him a free role across the midfield, and get the other three understanding that they need to move about depending on where he is, then this would make it awkward for the opposing team to stop him

9 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Stop being pedantic.
Posts stating that we have the wrong team or that they are too inexperienced only mean one thing on here...

So you cannot provide any examples then. Because there weren't any.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Ok, carry on being pedantic then...emoji16.png

There's nothing pedantic about it. Discussion about the team selection, transfer strategy, performance and suitability of the management team is perfectly legitimate. Light years away from your ludicrous "calling for the management teams' head" characterisation.

3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Stop being pedantic.
Posts stating that we have the wrong team or that they are too inexperienced only mean one thing on here...

For clarity, if you were talking about me, I stated I thought they were the wrong appointments at the time but we need to back them now.

Never once did I call for their heads, actually quite the opposite.

For clarity, if you were talking about me, I stated I thought they were the wrong appointments at the time but we need to back them now.
Never once did I call for their heads, actually quite the opposite.

The comment was more general. Although there are one or two usual suspects. [emoji6]

7 hours ago, keithgy said:

They would  be better today than the pair we have just now.

It's weird, we have without doubt had a very long history of either imposing or classy central defenders ,almost without a gap .......until the last few years. 

Peter Grant 1.0 was the last good one we've had I think.

Wonder why?

Aware that are we in a pandemic, with rookie managers, but still a bit perplexed about how the squad building has gone prior to the start of this season.

Aware it must have been difficult to get a goalkeeper in knowing that they’d be second fiddle to Mutch.

6 defenders, 3 of which are left backs. Albeit one can fill in at centre half. Only one right back (jury very much still out on him) with perhaps Gary Miller only there as cover? Remember the last manager we had that signed 3 left backs...

7 midfielders (excluding Laverty). No real replacement on the left for Connolly if injured, tried Alston and Todd there to no avail, and tried shuffling Morrison across who doesn’t appear as affective out there. Contract extensions for Leitch and Telfer, either of them a good idea? Assuming the former must be on a very low wage, and has scored in the league, but still no idea what his position is, and what is he good at?

5 strikers including Miller, who arguably is your second most effective striker behind Keena. I know many would consider Sammon as a man down but is there any need for 5 strikers when we are light elsewhere?

I initially thought the signings were built to replace issues last year (Morrison for lack of pace, Alston for some central midfield dynamism) but as people have alluded to, what’s the game plan?

15 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Give Laverty and Sneddon a go ! They are members of a small squad and must be considered as a possible solution.

How many times have we seen a fringe player thrown in due to circumstances and turn out to be gems.

Sneddon left back and put Dixon beside Durnan you never know it just might click.

Laverty with the pace and energy  in the middle  will get a bit of urgency that is sadly lacking in midfield.

We've just signed another  left back which obviously tells you the management team don't think sneddon's anywhere near ready. 

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

With the players brought in its probably a surprise to find Alston so poor in fitness terms, but questions must be asked why we’ve spent a fair wage on a guy who looks like he needs a quarter of a season to get up to scratch. 
Connolly for me is a big miss, often found  creating width on the left which pulls the opposing team allowing space for our front players. We’ve been unlucky with Keena, but guess most clubs surfer similar injuries to key players. 
All things considered I would have thought we’d bring in a CB, the managers have alluded to this, so either players are not prepared to drop into this league or we ain’t paying the going rate ?

Like many posts, Leitch, & Telfer signing I’m surprised with as barely used and for me very ordinary at best. 
My main concern is that teams have already found us out, close Morrison and sit high against our midfield, and quick through/over the top ball, and we look desperate.

We’ve time to correct the wrongs but next three games are critical, we simply cannot fall behind.

Problem for injured players just now is there is no reserve team to help get them up to speed. Alston picked up an injury in pre season which is where you build up all your fitness so he's well behind everyone else and doesn't have other means to catch up.

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

I more or less agree, but with the facilities (indoor gym) we have, the modern technology with our physio, thought Alston was blowing through his arse after 20 mins. Maybe it’s not a substitute for games however....

I don't think sticking him out on the wing helped either.

I'd give M n M the benefit of the doubt and say it was injuries that forced them to play Miller and Gomis together. That said, they shouldn't start together again if at all possible. As mentioned, we needed youth, pace and drive in the middle of the park and here we are 2 games in still requiring it.