The Falkirk FC Thread

Pleased for young Fotheringham but again its really rubbing the fans noses in it that he's not our player.  Quite ironic that in one foul swoop he made the club a sizeable sum of cash and yet he was released because the academy had supposedly become unaffordable. Craig Campbell's moved on but we're still seeing the results of his ineptitude every season at the club

36 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I agree with this line up, in particular the back line. Hall for me has to be dropped. He's an accident waiting to happen and really could have caused 3+ goals last night. 

It's absolutely vital we win our next two games vs. Forfar and Dumbarton who are arguably the weaker sides of the division. This would put us in a great position going into the Airdrie away game with the sides below us all playing each other over that same week. On paper we have the easiest run in now having played Montrose, East Fife and Thistle already.

We've got a great chance to create a bit of a gap with the chasers having harder games than us over the next few weeks. 6 points from the next two is imperative.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Mutch

Neilson Durnan Dixon Deveney

Morrison Gomis Telfer Fotheringham

Keena Dowds

When we are attacking Telfer can push up one with Gomis sitting to make it a diamond. If G Miller has to play then i'll accept him in place of Gomis. Am I right in saying Forfar earlier on in the season is Dowds only league goal with us?

The only bit of this I think is up for debate is the defence. It's two of Durnan/Dixon/McClelland at CB and one of Dixon/Deveney at left back.

Been impressed with Dowds since the restart. Hopefully he can continue to improve playing alongside better options than that big weightlifter Sammon.

Mutch

Keena Dowds

When we are attacking Telfer can push up one with Gomis sitting to make it a diamond. If G Miller has to play then i'll accept him in place of Gomis. Am I right in saying Forfar earlier on in the season is Dowds only league goal with us?

That team should be plenty to take apart anyone (bar the green bigots) we still have to face. 

Mutch

Keena Dowds

Yip one league goal, a pretty pathetic return, the absolute glorious chance he missed away to Partick still makes you cringe but tbh it's been abysmal from Sammon and Francis too.  Especially when you consider Keena being out for a while not one of them stepped up to the plate. Hopefully the 3 of them are away in the summer.

7 minutes ago, Smikka Smikka Smoodoo said:

That team should be plenty to take apart anyone (bar the green bigots) we still have to face. 

Probably the strongest we have unless miller himself was fit enough to start up top.  You wonder why deveney wasn't given more of a chance earlier. Only issue is whether gomis can play every game with the fixture congestion. May need to have miller in their for the odd game.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The only bit of this I think is up for debate is the defence. It's two of Durnan/Dixon/McClelland at CB and one of Dixon/Deveney at left back.

Been impressed with Dowds since the restart. Hopefully he can continue to improve playing alongside better options than that big weightlifter Sammon.

Listen Durnan and Hall are as much of a liability as eachother in my eyes. I never watched last nights game but i'm hoping Mcclelland can be an improvement on them both when he gets a run in the team. After Durnan's display last weekend he gets the nod but we all know he'll make a mistake soon enough which should hopefully give Mcclelland his chance.

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

Listen Durnan and Hall are as much of a liability as eachother in my eyes. I never watched last nights game but i'm hoping Mcclelland can be an improvement on them both when he gets a run in the team. After Durnan's display last weekend he gets the nod but we all know he'll make a mistake soon enough which should hopefully give Mcclelland his chance.

Durnan is ok if we could get an actual footballer beside him so he can just do the no nonsense stuff at the back. We really need someone to be his Ivo den bieman.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Durnan is ok if we could get an actual footballer beside him so he can just do the no nonsense stuff at the back. We really need someone to be his Ivo den bieman.

Watch Rangers first goal against us earlier on in the season then come back on your 'Durnan is ok' . I agree that if he just focuses on defending he plays better than when he thinks he's an actual footballer but he's still a bombscare. 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Watch Rangers first goal against us earlier on in the season then come back on your 'Durnan is ok' . I agree that if he just focuses on defending he plays better than when he thinks he's an actual footballer but he's still a bombscare. 

I still think if we had a Darren Dodds or a McCracken keeping on at him he'd be fine. 

26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I still think if we had a Darren Dodds or a McCracken keeping on at him he'd be fine. 

He's 28 not 18 and the fact you think he needs an experienced player in there to talk him through the game shows how capable he is. Although I do like your positivity on this one, so aye Durnan for the win.

So folk were wrong to say we should have binned him in the summer after a season of complete anonymity, crowned with a moment of pure stupidity that potentially altered the course of the season because at some point in the future he will play well against Arbroath? 
Should no one ever offer an opinion then, just in case? Glad to see you are now happy with Mark Durnans entire contribution since signing on account of him scoring at the weekend. Must be class to be a fan with that outlook. 
Mental. 

Dear oh dear!
My point was that we have a tendency to write off players on here after a few less than satisfactory performances, rather than recognise that they have capability, and that there may be underlying reasons why they didn’t play well, and we need to focus on getting the best out of them.
I get frustrated as there are a number on here, who tend to have absolutely no patience and turn on every result.
You appear to be adding words that I never stated and making this into a completely different issue.....

That’s rubbish - a lot of posters questioned his commitment and desire however most posters were frustrated as it’s obvious there is a talented player there.
If he has improved his work rate, there is no question he can be a very, very good player at this level and more than likely a good player in the Championship - fingers crossed.

That may be your perspective GB, and that’s fair enough. It’s not my recollection in some cases.
But my point isn’t a defence of Telfer, it’s more generic than that....

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Dear oh dear!
My point was that we have a tendency to write off players on here after a few less than satisfactory performances, rather than recognise that they have capability, and that there may be underlying reasons why they didn’t play well, and we need to focus on getting the best out of them.
I get frustrated as there are a number on here, who tend to have absolutely no patience and turn on every result.
You appear to be adding words that I never stated and making this into a completely different issue.....

He played 20 games in the league last season scoring 4 goals and assisting 2. So it was more than a few off games. This season he's got 2 goals and 2 assists in the league in 9 games so there's been a good improvement there. Needs to kick on to further proove why M&M kept him in the remaining games this season.

He played 20 games in the league last season scoring 4 goals and assisting 2. So it was more than a few off games. This season he's got 2 goals and 2 assists in the league in 9 games so there's been a good improvement there. Needs to kick on to further proove why M&M kept him in the remaining games this season.

I don’t want to carry on a never ending debate here but my simple question would be this.
If you see a player have a great performance, followed by 3 or 4 average or poor, then say have another great performance followed by a few more poor ones, what do you do?
A. Bin him immediately?
B. Try to understand why he is not performing and aim to correct it, possibly including playing him in the first team recognising that there is a risk that he may not immediately come good?
C. Blame the manager?
Guess which one I would default to.......
Clue to my point is that A and C are the most common responses on here.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t want to carry on a never ending debate here but my simple question would be this.
If you see a player have a great performance, followed by 3 or 4 average or poor, then say have another great performance followed by a few more poor ones, what do you do?
A. Bin him immediately?
B. Try to understand why he is not performing and aim to correct it, possibly including playing him in the first team recognising that there is a risk that he may not immediately come good?
C. Blame the manager?
Guess which one I would default to.......
Clue to my point is that A and C are the most common responses on here.

The frustrating thing is as I said previously he plays far better against good teams and then doesn't turn up against the dross.  Last season when I saw him run rings around Ayr United in the league cup I thought what a player we have here only for him to show that form only once or twice again that season. The problem is we can't afford to have a player who only turns it on now and again.  He needs to do it far more consistently as at the moment he's either excellent or invisible when we need players that are at least 6 or 7/10 every week.

The frustrating thing is as I said previously he plays far better against good teams and then doesn't turn up against the dross.  Last season when I saw him run rings around Ayr United in the league cup I thought what a player we have here only for him to show that form only once or twice again that season. The problem is we can't afford to have a player who only turns it on now and again.  He needs to do it far more consistently as at the moment he's either excellent or invisible when we need players that are at least 6 or 7/10 every week.

Totally agree with this and that’s a predicament for any manager. It looks like M and M got that one right then, but of course, he can just as easily blow cold again.....

Indont want to put words in your mouth RB, so apologies if you feel I did. 

Charlie Telfer was terrible last season though. His only decent performances were in 5 and 6 goal drubbing. When we needed shim he was routinely posted missing except for when he showed up to hoof Reghan Henry into the air 10 minutes into a vital promotion battle type game. 

He did more than enough to merit emptying him, especially as he wasnt just "kept on" he was actually given a new contract. If you dont agree that's fair but you cant use this level of hindsight to say folk shouldnt have criticised him. In a crowded pool of shite performer he was one of the worst. 

Absolutely fair play to him if he turns it around but he was "not fit to wear the shirt" levels last season.