The Falkirk FC Thread

The BOD will need to get the strategy absolutely bang on.

Many will accept change takes time, but I’d hedge on the side of caution, the fans have just about had our fill with the clutterfuck we've become.

God knows how many supporters are lost forever after disaster after disaster.

The club will get one more chance at keeping the majority of the support and whilst I understand they can’t let all their plans public, the first act once we are condemned to this league for yet another year, and start building a team, first objective is to empty the majority of players stealing a jersey. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
43 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

The problem has been we have never looked long term properly. I hope the Board get their plan in place, measure their progress, tweek if it needed tweeted but stop the knee jerk stuff of the last 12 years. 

The commercial income needs to go up, we need to manage our cost base, we will need investment, Patrons, FSS and possibly outside and we have to get the product on the pitch right as that will drive income too. 

I have said since the new board came in this is a long term recovery job. Nothing I have seen so far has changed my view. 

Long term planning is all well and good but it’s the here and now that is the most important thing. Too many incumbents want to talk about long term plans and then use that to mask failures. We didn’t go up this year but don’t worry we factored that in to our 5 year plan etc.

It shouldn’t be a huge undertaking to run a football club. Just need to appoint the right people and the biggest appointment for any board is the manager. Get that right and most other things will fall in to place. 

I don't think it can afford to be a long term plan.  We have 18 months tops.  We absolutely need to be promoted either this season or next.

Above all else, fan numbers are hemorrhaging.  They've been propped up by the summers season ticket sales (at which point most I think still felt we'd do well under Sheerin).  Those actually going to games are far less than the attendances being announced and we'll see the true impact in the summer when I expect they'll be much lower than last summer unless something monumental happens.  

There are some massive decisions ahead but if we do stick with Rennie (and I would genuinely still like him to do well) then we need to see some excellent summer signings to give confidence that next year will be successful and encourage fans back.  By that, I mean young(ish) players of decent quality, not 'marquee' has beens from the top league looking for a last payday.  

The new board need to learn fast too.  No more errors of judgement.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Long term planning is all well and good but it’s the here and now that is the most important thing. Too many incumbents want to talk about long term plans and then use that to mask failures. We didn’t go up this year but don’t worry we factored that in to our 5 year plan etc.

It shouldn’t be a huge undertaking to run a football club. Just need to appoint the right people and the biggest appointment for any board is the manager. Get that right and most other things will fall in to place. 

Is shouldn’t be but we have had plenty made a mess of it for years. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I don't think it can afford to be a long term plan.  We have 18 months tops.  We absolutely need to be promoted either this season or next.

Above all else, fan numbers are hemorrhaging.  They've been propped up by the summers season ticket sales (at which point most I think still felt we'd do well under Sheerin).  Those actually going to games are far less than the attendances being announced and we'll see the true impact in the summer when I expect they'll be much lower than last summer unless something monumental happens.  

There are some massive decisions ahead but if we do stick with Rennie (and I would genuinely still like him to do well) then we need to see some excellent summer signings to give confidence that next year will be successful and encourage fans back.  By that, I mean young(ish) players of decent quality, not 'marquee' has beens from the top league looking for a last payday.  

The new board need to learn fast too.  No more errors of judgement.  

We have to have a bloody plan, your mates never had one. It is the idiotic policies of the past that has ruined us.
You and a few others have backed the previous regime and are now clearly digging the new guys. It is the mess of your mates that is needing cleared up. 

Having pressed for meaningful change for 12 years I am happy to be patient for the new Board to rebuild this wreck of a football club. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

Guest Ecosse83

The main thing a board needs to get right is appoint a decent manager. The last board failed miserably at that and the pressure is on the new one to get it right. 

Unfortunately the club has been in a mess for that long the new guys rightly or wrongly won’t be given seasons of goodwill to get it right. In a way it feels even worse for me that Rennie hasn’t started the way I thought it would have, I got my hopes up and they have been dashed which feels like a gut punch. 

Let’s be honest the majority of the fans probably don’t care that Deans is gone and new guys are in, they just want to see a winning team on the park! 

Edited by Ecosse83

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

The BOD will need to get the strategy absolutely bang on.

Many will accept change takes time, but I’d hedge on the side of caution, the fans have just about had our fill with the clutterfuck we've become.

God knows how many supporters are lost forever after disaster after disaster.

The club will get one more chance at keeping the majority of the support and whilst I understand they can’t let all their plans public, the first act once we are condemned to this league for yet another year, and start building a team, first objective is to empty the majority of players stealing a jersey. 

The fans have a chance to shape their club. Invest what they can, elect people to represent them and try and help rebuild the club. Those who don’t want to do that, fair enough, but don’t moan like f**k if it doesn’t happen because of a lack of investment. 

6 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

The main thing a board needs to get right is appoint a decent manager. The last board failed miserably at that and the pressure is on the new one to get it right. 

Unfortunately the club has been in a mess for that long the new guys rightly or wrongly won’t be given seasons of goodwill to get it right. In a way it feels even worse for me that Rennie hasn’t started the way I thought it would have, I got my hopes up and they have been dashed which feels like a gut punch. 

Let’s be honest the majority of the fans probably don’t care that Deans is gone and new guys are in, they just want to see a wining team on the park! 

Those who don’t care Deans has gone have their heads in the sand. Go along to one of the three fans meetings and maybe a better understanding of the situation will permeate the fanbase. Oh and I believe Rennie will be there if some of the vocal ones against him want to turn up with their pitchforks 

Guest Ecosse83
24 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Those who don’t care Deans has gone have their heads in the sand. Go along to one of the three fans meetings and maybe a better understanding of the situation will permeate the fanbase. Oh and I believe Rennie will be there if some of the vocal ones against him want to turn up with their pitchforks 

No need to be so defensive all the time. All I mean is there will be fans that go to the games that aren’t as bothered about the boardroom going’s on than others. 

Not sure what the Rennie comment was all about I never even mentioned him in my post 🤷‍♂️

You seem hell bent on defending Rennie, what’s the difference between Rennie and Sheerin in your eyes? They both have had to deal with Holts dross but you certainly didn’t defend Sheerin the way you are Rennie! 

Edited by Ecosse83

16 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

No need to be so defensive all the time. All I mean is there will be fans that go to the games that aren’t as bothered about the boardroom going’s on than others. 

Not sure what the Rennie comment was all about I never even mentioned him in my post 🤷‍♂️

You seem hell bent on defending Rennie, what’s the difference between Rennie and Sheerin in your eyes? They both have had to deal with Holts dross but you certainly didn’t defend Sheerin the way you are Rennie! 

It is not defensive it is the reality that fans are great at moaning but they have the chance to help sort this club. Many will sit on their hands and moan - just watch.
Rennie is dealing with Holts and Sheerin’s dross there is the difference. Most of the players Rennie has brought in are an upgrade IMO. Had Sheerin still been there  IMO we would be fighting with Dumbarton and EF. 

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Rennie is dealing with Holts and Sheerin’s dross there is the difference. Most of the players Rennie has brought in are an upgrade IMO. Had Sheerin still been there  IMO we would be fighting with Dumbarton and EF. 

The players might be an upgrade but performances haven’t been which is a worry if he has 6 upgrades on Sheerins squad! 

Just now, Ecosse83 said:

The players might be an upgrade but performances haven’t been which is a worry if he has 6 upgrades on Sheerins squad! 

We would be in relegation trouble. That’s the difference 

Guest Ecosse83
9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You do realise Sheerin has a better record as Falkirk manager this season than Rennie? I hope your mates on the board aren’t using the same logic as you, bloody worrying if they are! 

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not sure about that. Our current form isn’t much different than Sheerin’s last games in charge and undoubtedly Sheerin would have made signings too. 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Not sure about that. Our current form isn’t much different than Sheerin’s last games in charge and undoubtedly Sheerin would have made signings too. 

Would he? He wouldn’t have had 230k from Patrons so doubtful. 

21 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I'll back @Back Post Misses up on this one. Can imagine Sheerin signing more Michael Ruth types than the players Rennie did. 

Rennie has bobbled along, middle of the road - some good, some bad - but Sheerin had us nosediving and didn't have any answers as he said in his post-mathc interviews.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

The fans have a chance to shape their club. Invest what they can, elect people to represent them and try and help rebuild the club. Those who don’t want to do that, fair enough, but don’t moan like f**k if it doesn’t happen because of a lack of investment. 

With all respect this is an open forum which many choose to express their valued opinions. Many fans (which I suspect with increasing numbers) are completely fcked off, disillusioned and at the point of no return.
Many fans which I include myself in have backed the club with personal STs / business STs / hospitality/ social & annual sportsman’s dinners etc etc. We have a group of patrons adding serious cash. 

I might be completely wrong but if there’s not a huge positive shift within the club this close season, any long term plans will go done as blah blah blah.

I’m actually surprised that the FSS has been able to attract 400 punters, with the shite we’ve witnessed for what seems years.

The BOD need to be supported but we’ve had the begging letters every close season and it’s beginning to wear very very thin.

30 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Perhaps Sheerin would have signed more Ruth’s and Seb Ross’s?

Guest Ecosse83
3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Would he? He wouldn’t have had 230k from Patrons so doubtful. 

Sheerin had to go no doubt about it but don’t try and make out that Rennie has done so much better than him and saved us from relegation when in actual fact his record is worse. 

I think I could have managed the team to beat East Fife and Dumbarton twice! 

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The problem has been we have never looked long term properly. I hope the Board get their plan in place, measure their progress, tweek if it needed tweeted but stop the knee jerk stuff of the last 12 years. 

The commercial income needs to go up, we need to manage our cost base, we will need investment, Patrons, FSS and possibly outside and we have to get the product on the pitch right as that will drive income too. 

I have said since the new board came in this is a long term recovery job. Nothing I have seen so far has changed my view. 

I know but in order to do most of the things we want to do we really need to get back in the championship.