The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

Personally I think the FSS model is all wrong, why would I sign up to pay £10 a month when I get nothing in return? I’d be much more likely to sign up to a share shave scheme where you actually get shares in your name.

Eh, because we love our club and want to do all that we can to see it successful?

I do think the biggest issue for the FSS has been the disaster on the pitch, and clearly that is outwith their control.

I think we would see much more interest if the message was “give us the funds to get back to the premier league” or “help us punch above our weight against clubs with more resources for a top 6 place in the premier league”. Less so for “get us out of league 1 at the fourth attempt”.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

How many of us on here in the course of their day have a Mars Bar, a Kit Kat, a packet of crisps, a can of Irn Bru?

Mars Bar = 65p, Two finger Kit Kat = 22p, Walkers Crisps = 25p, can of Irn Bru = 43p

Daily cost of a £10 monthly FSS Membership = 33p.

C’mon.

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I do think the biggest issue for the FSS has been the disaster on the pitch, and clearly that is outwith their control.

I think we would see much more interest if the message was “give us the funds to get back to the premier league” or “help us compete with clubs with more resources for a top 6 place in the premier league”. Less so for “get us out of league 1 at the fourth attempt”.

FSS can’t have much more go against it.

Lowest point as a club for a lot of people’s memories, no real signs of improvement on the pitch for 6 years or so (until very recently), cost of living crisis really biting - huge factors. 

And yet, we have over 600 sign ups - a number bigger than some average home attendances in the championship. 

It should be here to stay 

4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

How many of us on here in the course of their day have a Mars Bar, a Kit Kat, a packet of crisps, a can of Irn Bru?

Mars Bar = 65p, Two finger Kit Kat = 22p, Walkers Crisps = 25p, can of Irn Bru = 43p

C’mon.

Id like to know where you’re getting a packet of walkers for 25p and a can of irn bru for 43p to be honest!

Just now, bairn88 said:

FSS can’t have much more go against it.

Lowest point as a club for a lot of people’s memories, no real signs of improvement on the pitch for 6 years or so (until very recently), cost of living crisis really biting - huge factors. 

And yet, we have over 600 sign ups - a number bigger than some average home attendances in the championship. 

It should be here to stay 

I agree but I also think we should be looking at other ways to reach those who haven’t signed up to the FSS, whether they be a share save scheme or a tier in between the patrons and the FSS for donations of say £1-5k.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Id like to know where you’re getting a packet of walkers for 25p and a can of irn bru for 43p to be honest!

Fair comment, I don't live in the UK so was using the Sainsbury's online thingummyjig, most of the prices are for multi-pack items.

8 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

C’mon.

Problem solved - it’s 1994 and we’ve got a brilliant team with Jim Jefferies at the helm.

44 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

You realise there is nothing stopping you from buying shares in your own name individually if you want to? If that’s what you want to do it’s totally your call obviously but I’d much rather my contribution went under the FFS umbrella, the point is strength in numbers where the group as a whole owns a significant share in the club giving the supporters actual power, owning a small shareholding individually doesn’t do that. The FSS should be looked upon as a supporters union, the more members the bigger the shareholding, the bigger the influence and the larger financial contribution which essentially filters through to (in theory) being able to afford better players in the pitch. 

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

100% ST contributing never going to happen but upward of 50% should be achievable.

50% is, IMO still not nearly enough if fan ownership is going to be achieved 

I think you’ve got to ask the question why have only 620 contributed, when we’ve got a core support just shy of 4000 in division 1 or the third tier of Scottish football. Yes the horror of inflation/fuel/food hikes. But maybe just maybe the fans have had their fill and waiting to see what this season brings.

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think you’ve got to ask the question why have only 620 contributed, when we’ve got a core support just shy of 4000 in division 1 or the third tier of Scottish football. Yes the horror of inflation/fuel/food hikes. But maybe just maybe the fans have had their fill and waiting to see what this season brings.

Fans don't sign up, not enough money generated to improve the team so we stay in League 1.

Next season because we are in League 1 again, fans cancel their subscriptions.

Because fans have cancelled their subscriptions we don't have enough money to strengthen the team so we stay another season in League 1.

Because we have another season in League 1 more fans cancel their subscriptions . . . . . . . .

Can you see where I'm going with this?

I think that a leap of faith is called for.

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I've been with the FSS pretty much since they started the £10 subscription, I can't see any downside to it (I just wanted to post a video of norm, I don't actually think it's a bunch of commie nonsense) . I know a few people that watch the club home and away that feel they already put enough into the club via season tickets, merch, 50/50s etc which is fair play.

I do also think that having the stands at the games will increase the memberships substantially. I've got an old man who can barely use his phone never mind sign up to a subscription on the 'world wide web' 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’d also like to see some sort of sharesave scheme alongside the FFS. I think there would be an opportunity to attract people who want something a bit more tangible for their money and also the opportunity to hold shares and vote in their own name (as futile as some may view that).

I appreciate that part of the FSS goal is to build a voting block of supporters, but my view would be that we should put getting money in the door over idealism at this stage.

Exactly, and we need it now, so, if you haven't already, then get signed up to the FSS.

30 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

50% is, IMO still not nearly enough if fan ownership is going to be achieved 

At this point fan ownership isn't the aim of FSS.

It's understandable that the FSS - and the club - want rapid growth but whilst it's in its infancy I think it's going to be quite organic and slow.

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Fans don't sign up, not enough money generated to improve the team so we stay in League 1.

Next season because we are in League 1 again, fans cancel their subscriptions.

Because fans have cancelled their subscriptions we don't have enough money to strengthen the team so we stay another season in League 1.

Because we have another season in League 1 more fans cancel their subscriptions . . . . . . . .

Can you see where I'm going with this?

I think that a leap of faith is called for.

With respect so it’s all down to the fans now ? FFS we’ve fallen into the abyss through the abhorrent decisions by the “upstairs” for years. Fans have stuck by this club like no others. 80 players in three seasons and a succession of useless managers, coaches and head of footballs. Pouring out cash to sign players like Griffiths and there’s the DGW farce.
620 fans (myself included) have contributed to try and help fund the club, but let’s get real the chances of numbers of around 2000 + signing up ain’t gonna happen soon. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

With respect so it’s all down to the fans now ? FFS we’ve fallen into the abyss through the abhorrent decisions by the “upstairs” for years. Fans have stuck by this club like no others. 80 players in three seasons and a succession of useless managers, coaches and head of footballs. Pouring out cash to sign players like Griffiths and there’s the DGW farce.
620 fans (myself included) have contributed to try and help fund the club, but let’s get real the chances of numbers of around 2000 + signing up ain’t gonna happen soon. 

You have a point but what has happened in the past has happened and can't be undone. Through the likes of you and I joining the FSS we can now have a say in the running of the club so that the mistakes of the past aren't repeated.

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

You're contradicting yourself a wee bit here IMO. We're attracting a support of just under 4000 who must be happy to buy a season or pay £18 or £20 at the gate yet they're unwilling to invest the equivalent of £2.30 a week on top? That doesn't make much sense to me.

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

You realise there is nothing stopping you from buying shares in your own name individually if you want to? If that’s what you want to do it’s totally your call obviously but I’d much rather my contribution went under the FFS umbrella, the point is strength in numbers where the group as a whole owns a significant share in the club giving the supporters actual power, owning a small shareholding individually doesn’t do that. The FSS should be looked upon as a supporters union, the more members the bigger the shareholding, the bigger the influence and the larger financial contribution which essentially filters through to (in theory) being able to afford better players in the pitch. 

The minimum you can buy is 1000 shares costing £400.