The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Ian McCall, although @Shodwall cat has alluded to some issues behind the scenes was the real reason for his sacking at PT, what that was I haven't a clue. He was still a great manager for us.

That was over twenty years ago.

Long past his prime and probably more trouble than he is worth anyway.

47 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

True enough, McPake had the temerity to lose a league game this season. 

In all seriousness, I think the worry for Falkirk fans would be that the second half of the season followed a familiar pattern to his Raith teams. They would often start the season well, go into a slump in the winter time (either because other teams figured him out, the pitches weren't as good, or due to injuries piling up) then there would be a wee improvement (usually when playing a different formation for a game or two) before the season kinda fizzled out. Now you may have enough quality in the squad to go through the play offs this time, but even if you go up I can see folk calling for his head come November/December next year.

I'm not sure this season really followed that pattern tbh, our 10 wins out of 11 run came between end of December and mid March. There has been some really disappointing performances before and since laced with some positive stuff. We'd be mad to bin him even if we lost the playoffs but pressure would be extremely high next season. We've seen full time teams such as yourselves and Partick come down here and have skoosh the league - next season we should now be hoping for similar. 

6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

That was over twenty years ago.

Long past his prime and probably more trouble than he is worth anyway.

Ian McCall, aged 58, past his prime.

John McGlynn, aged 61, fine.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Suspect you’ll now get red dotted for having the temerity to directly rebut a point with a stat. 

Would it not be more accurate to compare McGlynn to the guy he replaced rather than M&M? You'd be as well comparing him with John Haggart or Eddie May! 

It may well be the case that the current BOD feel that the previous one didn't give M&M enough time and don't want to repeat their mistake?

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Would it not be more accurate to compare McGlynn to the guy he replaced rather than M&M? You'd be as well comparing him with John Haggart or Eddie May! 

It may well be the case that the current BOD feel that the previous one didn't give M&M enough time and don't want to repeat their mistake?

Am I mistaken to say he was described as being miles better than any previous incumbents for the last number of years so not just Rennie?

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
21 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Almost as daft as expecting us to be able to convince Jack Ross to take over last summer.

What would have said if I mentioned James McPake last Summer? What if I said Owen Coyle last January or Lee Bullen?

People want names as it’s easy to mock. Someone good will never come to us, someone just been sacked isn’t good enough. The choices are slim but doesn’t mean to say there aren’t better out there. You’d need to speak to people within the game to make a more balanced judgement.  

Sure a lot on here wanted Brian Rice previously. 

All I know is I don’t personally trust McGlynn to take us forward. 

There was chat about building a squad but who will that be built upon? McCann, Donaldson have shown enough good as well as bad. Morrison might be away in the Summer and I’m not sure I’d want to keep paying decent wages for McGinn for another season. Henderson will do for me but it’s not a big building block to suggest we’re on the cusp of something. Almost need to rebuild a whole team again. 

20 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Am I mistaken to say he was described as being miles better than any previous incumbents for the last number of years so not just Rennie?

This season is the only season I've managed to remotely enjoy really since Houston. That's what it's all about for me in the first place and I think the majority of fans would agree. 

So you can ram your stats. Utterly boring. 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

What would have said if I mentioned James McPake last Summer? What if I said Owen Coyle last January or Lee Bullen?

People want names as it’s easy to mock. Someone good will never come to us, someone just been sacked isn’t good enough. The choices are slim but doesn’t mean to say there aren’t better out there. You’d need to speak to people within the game to make a more balanced judgement.  

Sure a lot on here wanted Brian Rice previously. 

All I know is I don’t personally trust McGlynn to take us forward. 

There was chat about building a squad but who will that be built upon? McCann, Donaldson have shown enough good as well as bad. Morrison might be away in the Summer and I’m not sure I’d want to keep paying decent wages for McGinn for another season. Henderson will do for me but it’s not a big building block to suggest we’re on the cusp of something. Almost need to rebuild a whole team again. 

Who?

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Not all about age ( thankfully for me! ) but career progression, it could also be argued that McGlynn is past his peak.

To be clear I am no McGlynn fan boy, didn’t want him to get the gig and get very frustrated at times by his selections and tactics but talk of replacing him is ludicrous.

McCall would not be a good move even if we were looking for a manager.

Guest Caractacus Potts
15 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Suspect that you are wrong and still terminally tedious.

Was tongue in cheek but thanks. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Who?

Not going to keep giving names so you can try mock them amongst others. Had enough.

This question always gets asked but there are always better managers out there and never in the past number of years have we regretted getting shot of anyone. You want to back McGlynn then I’ve no qualms with that. I’m not on here demanding you to think the same. 

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Not going to keep giving names so you can try mock them amongst others. Had enough.

This question always gets asked but there are always better managers out there and never in the past number of years have we regretted getting shot of anyone. You want to back McGlynn then I’ve no qualms with that. I’m not on here demanding you to think the same. 

I haven't mocked anyone's choices. But when people say we should change managers the natural next question is - who?

The criteria you put are sound enough - better than what we have and willing to come to us. I just don;t see many (or any) candidates.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

If McGlynn was going, and he shouldn’t, I would look at Marbury and Mark Kerr. Done an unbelievable job with Edinburgh. 

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If McGlynn was going, and he shouldn’t, I would look at Marbury and Mark Kerr. Done an unbelievable job with Edinburgh. 

IMO Maybs should not have been sacked along with Houston and McDonaugh. He was in charge of the youth teams only and was doing a good job with them. 

Just as an aside on Martin Rennie. Clearly a salesman, and quite a good one going by his CV. Those sales skills certainly broadened into an ability to sell himself too via the gift of the gab and some ambiguous statements wrt his football achievements.

The bit that recently confirmed this for me was his LinkedIn CV. His time at Falkirk has been completely erased. It has been replaced by “running his own company”. Says it all. I think it’s fair to say his football management days are now well and truly done.

Is finishing 2nd in the league and getting to the cup semi final a sackable offence in Falkirk fans eyes?

Let's be honest, you were finishing 2nd at worst this season.