The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As much as Allan didn't suit the system it would be absolutely mental to let him leave if there wasn't plans to bring in another striker. 

The other striker was already brought in. Shanley in, Allan out

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As much as Allan didn't suit the system it would be absolutely mental to let him leave if there wasn't plans to bring in another striker. 

He was fine to run with 2 strikers for the first half of the season, why would it be mental to not bring in a 3rd?

3 minutes ago, AndrewFFC said:

He was fine to run with 2 strikers for the first half of the season, why would it be mental to not bring in a 3rd?

Because January was always coming around, Oliver can do a job there but one injury to MacIver or Shanley and we're back up shit creek. 

Back to one real option as a lone striker and if he's not playing well you don't really have anything on the bench to change it with. 

2 minutes ago, AndrewFFC said:

Because if Shanley and MacIver both get injured your back to Oliver at centre forward. Unless the plan is to chuck Alfie through the middle if required. 

He could easily run with two strikers until the end of the season, but we have been very lucky with form/injuries up until this point. All it takes it for an injury (see MacIver, who went down again on Saturday and although he carried on, didn't look 100% to me) or a suspension or two and you're left without a recognised striker in the squad. As I said, McGlynn might choose to do that, but I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest he might add a third striker.

1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

Because if Shanley and MacIver both get injured your back to Oliver at centre forward. Unless the plan is to chuck Alfie through the middle if required. 

Oliver is absolutely fine as a 3rd choice striker for me. Would much rather see the budget go on a GK or CB if there is any budget available 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Griffiths is just another in the long line of naturally gifted Scottish players that for various reasons never fulfilled the potential their talent deserved. What they had was un-coachable, you either had it or you didn't. In my time watching football George Connolly is ther biggest tragedy and could and should have been Scotland's Beckenbauer - what a player - what a talent.

He could have been one of Scotland's best ever strikers, that's how good I'd say he was in his prime (and I'm still not convinced he reached his full potential). Shame he just couldn't screw the nut on, as imagine how good Scotland would be right now with a lethal striker up top! Oh well. His spell at Falkirk is merely a footnote in what will go down as a total waste of talent.

1 minute ago, AndrewFFC said:

Oliver is absolutely fine as a 3rd choice striker for me. Would much rather see the budget go on a GK or CB if there is any budget available 

Oliver isn't a natural striker and not one you'd hang your hat on if he was the only option to take chances at the business end of a season. Ideally we'd all love a more experienced keeper, another centre half and a striker for the run in but it won't happen. 

47 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

As a third choice striker I seriously doubt we are going to find anything better than Oliver (who is a very capable player and played that role successfully for a long period last season) within budget. If there is scope for one more player coming in it would make far more sense to sort the goalkeeping position out or get cover in should Donaldson or Lang be injured. A decent keeper would actually make a huge difference, look at the goals we’ve conceded already this season directly from mistakes. If an experienced 1st choice level keeper can be found get them in and send Long back. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

40 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

He could have been one of Scotland's best ever strikers, that's how good I'd say he was in his prime (and I'm still not convinced he reached his full potential). Shame he just couldn't screw the nut on, as imagine how good Scotland would be right now with a lethal striker up top! Oh well. His spell at Falkirk is merely a footnote in what will go down as a total waste of talent.

Those two free kicks he scored against England at Hampden will live long in the memory. Absolute scenes. It's just a pity Stuart Armstrong I think didn't blooter the ball miles up the park or into row z. 

2 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Contract runs out June 2025.

Quite sure there will be a deal brokered to get him away at season end. Not one of McGlynns best decisions, strange we paid a fee to get him, beginning to wonder if he was a tactical proposition to stop him going to the competition. 

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Quite sure there will be a deal brokered to get him away at season end. Not one of McGlynns best decisions, strange we paid a fee to get him, beginning to wonder if he was a tactical proposition to stop him going to the competition. 

So you think that McGlynn paid a fee for a player that he didn't intend to play?

It’s definitely McGlynn’s biggest miss when it comes to transfer dealings, which by and large he’s got spot on since he came in. Paying a fee for a striker he could have got for free six months earlier based on scoring a few goals at Clyde when he was never going to fit into the system he likes to pay screams panic buy.

Makes sense for Allan to go out as realistically he’s going to get very little game time here.

Wishful thinking but I’d be looking to move on Long, McGinn and Lawal next with an experienced goalkeeper and another centre half coming in if possible.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the board would like to see wage costs trimmed a bit too.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Those two free kicks he scored against England at Hampden will live long in the memory. Absolute scenes. It's just a pity Stuart Armstrong I think didn't blooter the ball miles up the park or into row z. 

What on Earth are you on about? We won that game 2-1 didn't we? 🤣

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the board would like to see wage costs trimmed a bit too.

As long as we have enough cash reserves to see us to the end of the season I don't think wage costs matter. Any savings or overspend can be carried forward into next season. At which point we'll either be stuck in this league with a much reduced budget or in the league above and expanding it.