best/worst chain restaurant

mungo

Wetherspoons is fine for food if you're wanting something beyond a McDonalds/chippy before/during a night out. The steak deal on the Tuesday is brilliant value.

I'd never really choose a Wetherspoons/Walkabout but they're a decent option as a meeting place if there's loads of you and you're not staying there for too long.

I know it's not a sit in restaurant, but Dominos sizzler for me is an outstanding pizza. Overpriced mind you, unless you get a collection special price or the buy one get one free.

Edited by parfecto

You can't beat a Weatherspoons for a cheap large breakfast and a pint of premium lager to start off an away day, but I don't bother with them on a night out. Too many care in the community types and scumbags for my liking. I hate Nandos even although I've never set foot in one. Overpriced chicken that's popular with w**k footballers? Not for me thanks.

I didn't really like F+B's, can't remember what I had but the service was really slow both times I've been.

The single worst thing about F&B's isn't anything to do with the food or the service but the blast of "congratulations, and jubilations!" every 5 mins. Anybody who's ever been to F&B's will know exactly what I'm on about.

Roo's Leap is fantastic. Huge portions as well.

Anywhere that serves a giant bacon cheeseburger with pineapple slice, beetroot and the quintessential fried egg all held together with a big stick deserves to be top of the list.

Hopefully McD's or BK don't hijack it with some rubber egg that's never seen a hen.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Me and my girlfriend used to love going to Chiquitos but they've taken a fair bit if stuff we liked off the menu and its now way over charged for what it is and we've had many an underwhelming meal of late. Think its had its day.

A lot of these chain restaurants in general always seem decent the first time you go then after a while you start to really notice how bland and homogenised they become.

You can't beat a Weatherspoons for a cheap large breakfast and a pint of premium lager to start off an away day, but I don't bother with them on a night out.

Agreed but the square/lorne/slice sausage ( :rolleyes: ) is absolutely horrendous. It says it's award winning Carluke but the microwave must f**k it up as it's hardly even edible.

A few good shouts in this thread for best. I'll mention one that's hasn't been already which is Tropiero on Argyle Street. Brazilian buffet and the 10 different cuts of meat they serve you at your table is class. Probably very similar concept to Viva Brazil but I'm yet to head there.

For worst there's not really too many that I find too bad, they all serve their purpose for most occasions and different people. I'm not a huge fan of Walkabout which is also overpriced unless everyone in the round is drinking Fosters.

Edited by staggy4life

Me and my girlfriend used to love going to Chiquitos but they've taken a fair bit if stuff we liked off the menu and its now way over charged for what it is and we've had many an underwhelming meal of late. Think its had its day.

Las Iguanas recently came to Aberdeen which is basically a similar but far superior version of Chiquitos. Gets the thumbs up from me.

KFC is my favourite fast food chain - i categorically wouldn't eat a burger king or macdonalds.

:huh:

Frankenstein's seems to be a chain- service in the Edinburgh one was bloody shocking last time I went there. It took a hour to bring us a cold cheese burger. Fux ake!

Owned by the same small Scottish group that runs the Espionage chain of nightclubs. Say no more.

That said, their Illicit Still in Aberdeen does a mighty fine cooked breakfast, albeit a tad pricey.

Las Iguanas recently came to Aberdeen which is basically a similar but far superior version of Chiquitos. Gets the thumbs up from me.

:

Just had a wee swatch of the menu, looks very good. How longs it been in Union square for? I work offshore so have been to the majority of restaurants there, must of walked past it and no noticed. Edited by gannonball

The worst chain restaurant is Garfunkels. Been to one in Paddington and also one in Glasgow and both were revolting.

Best, maybe Cafe Andaluz but not by much.

Anytime I pass Garfunkels in Glasgow the window tables are always occupied by couples glowering at each other across their food. I always get the impression he wanted to go for a curry, she wanted Italian, and they've ended up there after an argument.

Been hearing the Glasgow Hard Rock Cafe is taking its time to find its feet, with long waiting times and a big turnover of staff. Once it's established, the HRC food will be good though. Cafe Andaluz was good, but a lot of stuff seemed to have dropped off the menu the last time we were there. Currently liking the weird & wonderful burgers at Ketchup.

Just had a wee swatch of the menu, looks very good. How longs it been in Union square for? I work offshore so have been to the majority of restaurants there, must of walked past it and no noticed.

It's right at the top of the main escalators by the Jury's Inn. Can't have been there any longer than 6 months or so.

Pinto my favourite Mexican place counts as a chain now with 3 restaurants in Glasgow,best Mexican food I've had in this country second only to a place called moes I tried in Orlando. Masala twist is a fantastic Indian place that I go to a lot.

Least fave are taco mazuma horrible Mexican and Ashoka horrible Indian.

The last time I was in Pinto it was terrible, got nachos with chilli con carne for a change and it was like liquid shit on crisps doled out by a lassie using a ladle in the manner of a fearsome dinner lady in a 1980s BBC2 drama. Every other time I've been I've had chicken or chilli burritos which have been fine.

Definitely found Taco Mazama (the one in Byres Rd anyway) to be excellent, their shredded beef is tremendous. Only problem is lack of space if you want to sit in. Pinto having a license maybe bumps it up a notch although I've never felt the need to have tequila with my lunch. Yet.

Anyway, Nandos is fucking horrid.