What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(30-32)

I, Tonya 8/10

I thought this was great, really funny and really sad and quite brutal and really made you think. Really like the trope of several unreliable narrators, the film makes it clear which side it sits on, but it lets you decide for yourself. I think the main thing is you do feel sorry for Tonya but like nothing is ever her fault. Didn’t think Alison Janney was all that brilliant tbh, I mean she was very good but people have been going bonkers haven’t they. There’s a great bit in the credits where they show a real interview with the Shawn Eckhardt character and you find out he really is as utterly deluded and beyond stupid as the film makes him out to be, great comic turn from...can’t remember his name. Sebastian Stan was excellent as Jeff Gilooly I thought! But this was Robbie’s film, there’s one scene when she’s looking in the mirror in full costume and make up, in absolute pieces and trying to force herself to smile. Could not give less of a shit about figure skating but the set pieces were astonishing. Great film. (cinema)

Ladybird 7.5/10

Coming of age drama, follows most of the usual tropes of the genre and if I was going to be harsh I would say it was a bit predictable but it did it all in so much more an engaging and appealing way than the usual that I can’t complain really. Saoirse Ronan was so good as Ladybird and special mention for Tracey Letts who wasn’t in it much but really really great as well. (cinema)

Free Fire 7.5/10

Ben Wheatly’s latest is a stylised shoot-out in a warehouse, spread out over a slightly unnecessary two hours. Basically a weapons deal goes tits up, guns are fired, people die. But there are great performances all round (particularly from Armie Hammer and Cillian Murphy), some great lines. Think I’ve seen it described as “Reservoir Dogs on coke” which is pretty accurate if you ignore all the Dogs’ flashback sequences and just focus on its own warehouse bit. Anyway, enjoyable fluff. (Amazon Prime)

Irvine Welsh's Ecstasy (DVD)

4/10

Loosely based on the last story of the book of the same name. This just felt cheap and was pretty dull. The attempted Scottish accents from the non Scottish cast who were playing Scottish characters were dreadful, mostly coming off as sounding more Russian. Most of the characters were shallow cliches and utterly inconsequential.

Geostorm

2/10 but also 7/10

Fucking nonsense with cheesy acting, cheesy lines, wildly telegraphed plot turns and devices and a disdain for reality that borders on admirable. Utter, utter garbage.

However it falls in to the 'so bad it's good category and is highly entertaining and enjoyable.

On 2/1/2018 at 23:47, welshbairn said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, 8/10. Frances McDormand is a cracking actress. My only gripe was a couple of actors playing too stupid for comic effect, and to make the audience feel clever. But it was meant to be a black comedy, so you have to allow some slap stick in a dark tale. Great short story though, you could imagine Elmore Leonard writing it.

P.S. The introduction of black characters and a dwarf also seemed to be to lighten the mood for comic effect. Seemed a bit clumsy.

I went to watch it with a squeeze last night and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.  Easily an 8/10.  Could easily have been mawkishly sentimental but was saved by its black humour.

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I went to watch it with a squeeze last night and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.  Easily an 8/10.  Could easily have been mawkishly sentimental but was saved by its black humour.

giphy.gif

(33)

My Life as a Courgette 7.5/10

French animation (although the version I saw was dubbed in English) about a boy who inadvertently kills his drunken mother and is sent to an orphanage. Brutally honest about the boy’s situation and that of the other kids, but told with the innocent voice of the child. The way that one of the orphans describes how babies are made is every bit as amusing as you’d imagine. Short at only an hour long, but quite beautifully animated and gets you right in the feels. (Amazon Prime)

44 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I, Tonya

Very entertaining, even if you never know quite how much truth there is, or what the truth is. If the Shawn character is real, it sums up America tbh.

He was. He died fairly recently. 

Get Out.

8/10 

Difficult to leave a proper review without  giving plotline spoilers but lets just say it was Clockwork Orange style freaky with an element of Angel Heart about it.

Weird but thoroughly enjoyable.

Edited by Flybhoy

Hidden figures (SKY)

3 black women in 60s Virginia fight against systematic racism to play a vital role in the space program at NASA. An incredible story which shows the sheer lunacy of racism . A gem of a film. 10/10.

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

Annihilation -- LIke Evolution but without the chuckles. I enjoyed it well enough, despite the utter c***s behind me who talked all the way through and laughed at inappropriate moments. It suffers from trying too hard by being enigmatic which doesn't sit all that well with the survival status of the main protagonists being clearly stated up front. It's no ex-machina but not a bad addition to the Alex Garland filmography. 7/10

Child 44.

Grim tale based on a novel loosely based on true story of Russian serial killer. A tad long perhaps but Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman are always watchable. I'd only had it recorded since october!! Apparently, Citizen X, a TV movie from 1995, is a more accurate account but i've not watched that yet......7/10.