What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Went to see Apocalypto last night. Don't know how historically accurate it is, apparently many scholars of indigenous American civilisations have criticised it, but as a film I thought it worked very well. The main character, jaguar Paw, village is attacked by a rival tribe who destroy their homes and take them prisoner. The villagers are then taken on a journey through various Mayan lands until they arrive at a city, who inhabitants seem to be afflicted by drought, failing crops and disease. The film then deals with their fate and Jaguar Paws attempts to escapte back to his family.

It does feature some pretty sickening violence (human sacrifice, heads being caved in with clubs etc) but I didn't think it was excessive. I thought the portrayal of the 'dying civilisation' of the city was very clever - it made me think of the last days of Rome, with the decadence and reliance on pagan religion as people died.

I'd give it 8/10.

It was a stunning film. The excessive violence was a nice added bonus.

The Last King of Scotland is a tremendous film. I would recommend it to all.

I watched Saw 2 on dvd for the first time last night. I really liked the first one, but this I thought was pretty shit.

A poorly constructed copy of the first outing, with a less shocking twist presented in a pretentious manner - the larger cast in danger gave it a bit of a late 90s early 2000s, nu-metal, teen horror quality to it. Lacked all of the claustrophobic atmosphere pain-stakingly created in the prequel.

A disappointing 4 / 10.

I watched Saw 2 on dvd for the first time last night. I really liked the first one, but this I thought was pretty shit.

A poorly constructed copy of the first outing, with a less shocking twist presented in a pretentious manner - the larger cast in danger gave it a bit of a late 90s early 2000s, nu-metal, teen horror quality to it. Lacked all of the claustrophobic atmosphere pain-stakingly created in the prequel.

A disappointing 4 / 10.

The first Saw was tremendous. It was orchestrated to perfection, the whole planning of Jigsaw's schemes were intricate and methodical. There was none of that in Saw II. Once in the house, the intricacy had gone and it was left alot to random chance (no not the Austin Powers villain) the outcome occurring. From being and evil mastermind genius in the first film, he is left looking like a fucking diddy in the second!

Superman Returns - 4/10 - oh dear god, this heap of manure went on for ever with no real plot!

The 4 points are for the special effects and the acting, but the plot was just dreadful!

The first Saw was tremendous. It was orchestrated to perfection, the whole planning of Jigsaw's schemes were intricate and methodical. There was none of that in Saw II. Once in the house, the intricacy had gone and it was left alot to random chance (no not the Austin Powers villain) the outcome occurring. From being and evil mastermind genius in the first film, he is left looking like a fucking diddy in the second!

Agree entirely, it is the writing that lets it down. A couple more gratuitously violent scenes inserted to try and make up for a beautifully crafted plot. It smacks of a sequel all too hastily thrown together to follow in the slipstream of its prequel.

Young Frankenstein - 8/10

Gene Wilder does what Gene Wilder does best.

Terri Garr - nice

Gene Hackman - one of the great cameos

Madeline Kahn - it wouldn't be Mel Brookes without her - barking mad as usual

Special mentions however:

Peter Boyle - One of the greatest monster performances of all time.

"Puuuttin ona riiiiiii" :lol:

It's Marty Feldman's movie though, bug-eyed brilliance! Best Igor ever.

Special mentions however:

Peter Boyle - One of the greatest monster performances of all time.

"Puuuttin ona riiiiiii" :lol:

It's Marty Feldman's movie though, bug-eyed brilliance! Best Igor ever.

My highest point-earner last year in the Dead Pool :)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

Very cleverly done, how they managed to weave a biblical horror into a courtroom drama and it worked quite well. Some bits were genuinley chilling and not just a quick jumpy moment.

Based on a true story which i am going to look into...

Watched King Kong with a couple of mates last night - hadnt seen it before.

I thought it was a reasonable little swashbuckler. Good fun, and quite charming. Criticisms would be poor pacing in the middle of the film - my attention started to wane. Also, some of the blue screen bits were a bit poorer than one expects of a big budget Peter Jackson epic.

Over all. An enjoyable 7 / 10

Still, you've gotta love that guy - he doesn't do things by halves. I'd love him to get his hands on a Jules Verne adaptation.

Watched King Kong with a couple of mates last night - hadnt seen it before.

I thought it was a reasonable little swashbuckler. Good fun, and quite charming. Criticisms would be poor pacing in the middle of the film - my attention started to wane. Also, some of the blue screen bits were a bit poorer than one expects of a big budget Peter Jackson epic.

Over all. An enjoyable 7 / 10

Still, you've gotta love that guy - he doesn't do things by halves. I'd love him to get his hands on a Jules Verne adaptation.

That's a brilliant idea. A big budget Journey would be phenomenal.

I went to see Night At The Museum last night. Enjoyable enough comedy. Dick Van Dyke is superb in it, but Robin Williams' Roosevelt steals the show, he's fantastic in it.

7/10.

It was in fact Journey to the Centre of the Earth that sprung to mind when I was watching that film - I'd love to see what he'd do with it.

I was just reading about the old film, and according to Wiki there's a new film supposedly coming out this summer starring Brendan Fraser.

It's an oldie, from way back in 1959 - IMDB.

A pretty good film actually, if dated.

One of my favourite books.

Incidentally, I wonder if all this mention of Journey will bring cdisaaccie onto this thread? :D

From Dusk Till Dawn - 8/10

Danny Trejo fighting Tom Savini was worth the money I paid for this alone.

:D ...was going to post the titty twister bar as one of my fav bars in the top 5 pub thread..lol

Just seen the best film of all time..yet again...The Usual Suspects - 9/10

Edited by Larsson.

Da Vinci Code

Couldn't understand the burd, was too slow, and fell asleep well before the end.

I had enjoyed the book too. Not a Tom Hanks fan either.

Back to Amazon rental it went pronto....0/10

Edited by bairnPunter