What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Anna Kendrick is great! Watched her in an indie drama the other day called 'drinking buddies' with Jake Johnson from New Girl and Olivia Wilde and she was good again.

I actually think there is a really good crop of actresses that have come to the fore over the last few years (mostly quite pretty as well)

Is Drinking Buddies out!? I've been wanting to try and catch it, but thought it was a wee while before it would be gracing our screens.

I love Anna Kendrick, even more after reading her twitter. :wub:

Edited by Kyle

The Cabin in the Woods - 8/10

Was told before i watched this that i'd either love it or hate it. Well i loved it. Just thought it was really, really well done. A good bit of humour in it, and a few decent jumpy moments too.

Also enjoyed how it kept jumping

from events at the cabin to Richard Jenkins (who i love) and Bradley Whitford in the control room. And when those working in the control room think they've accomplished the sacrifice, and are all celebrating whilst in the background Dana is being tortured by the zombie.

Satisfying ending too.

Insidious 2 - Absolutely awful. To be fair, I didn't enjoy the latter half of the first film either and the ridiculousness just continues from there. It wasn't remotely scary. There was no characterisation whatsoever, so I couldn't care less what happened to any of them. The acting was, for the most part, shocking. The script was the worst part of it. The storyline was crammed full of horror-movie cliches which people just don't find scary anymore unless done correctly. (i.e. 'OMG, the piano is playing by itself', 'OMG, the rocking horse is moving by itself', and 'What do you mean you just saw the old man? He.. he.. he died this morning.'

Nonetheless, I was in tears of laughter throughout it and found it abysmally enjoyable. A solid 5/10.

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Bought the Blu-Ray, so sat down with a curry and a few beers. There are so many great things about this film - the dynamic between Spock and Kirk, and their influence on each other; Cumberbatch's performance as the baddie; Peter Weller as Admiral Marcus; and Zoe Saldana and Alice Eve.

Just like when I saw it in the cinema, I thoroughly enjoyed this film apart from one bit. I'm not bothered by the gratuitous shot of Alice Eve in her undies (well, not in a bad way), and I don't care that the ending was a rehash of a previous film. What really annoys me is the use of the other Spock - he doesn't need to be there. Are they going to contact him every time they think they're in trouble? Just f*cking let them develop the new cast, and leave the past behind.

The Call, ( which is on the Mexican Netflix )

Never seen it advertised until this afternoon, A very decent watch, won't say anything about it yet as its just at the cinema but its quite gripping and cleverly done.

7.5/10

The Call, ( which is on the Mexican Netflix )

Never seen it advertised until this afternoon, A very decent watch, won't say anything about it yet as its just at the cinema but its quite gripping and cleverly done.

7.5/10

Any way of turning off the subtitles on Mexican netflix?

Is Drinking Buddies out!? I've been wanting to try and catch it, but thought it was a wee while before it would be gracing our screens.

I love Anna Kendrick, even more after reading her twitter. :wub:

I quite fancied seeing that too. According to the BBFC it's out on the 8th of November over here, though since it's an independent film it might be a challenge finding somewhere that's showing it.

Anyway, I saw White House Down tonight. It was decent; won't win any awards but IMO it was better than Olympus Has Fallen. Channing Tatum was surprisingly alright and I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Jason Clarke. I'd give it 6.5/10.

I'm a fan of Channing Tatum. Not a fan of some of the stuff he's been in, but he's got a great presence and he's not a bad actor at all.

I agree. 21 Jump Street aside, he's been in a lot of films which I tend to avoid and can tell I wouldn't enjoy. He was pretty decent in 10 Years (which itself wasn't all that terrible). He was good enough in the GI Joe films.

I quite enjoyed White House Down, a lot funnier than I thought it'd be initially.

Adore - 6/10

Naomi Watts spends most of her time in a bikini if you like that sort of thing. Drama about two childhood female friends in their early/mid 40s (Watts and Robin Wright) who both fall for each others teenage sons (who are also best friends) At almost two hrs its probably 30mins too long as started to drag but the storyline and dynamic between the 4 lead characters is interesting enough.

The Kings of Summer - 9/10

Might be the best film I have seen this year. Really good coming of age film and anyone who loved Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stand By Me, Way Way Back etc will really enjoy this. Had a really limited release here back in August. The three child actors are great and supporting cast is superb as well with Nick Offerman being the standout and Alison Brie also doing well (although slightly underused). It's very funny, has a good cast and a good story and brings back those memories of being a kid again.

Edited by DavidMcG

I'm a fan of Channing Tatum. Not a fan of some of the stuff he's been in, but he's got a great presence and he's not a bad actor at all.

I agree. 21 Jump Street aside, he's been in a lot of films which I tend to avoid and can tell I wouldn't enjoy. He was pretty decent in 10 Years (which itself wasn't all that terrible). He was good enough in the GI Joe films.

I quite enjoyed White House Down, a lot funnier than I thought it'd be initially.

It probably didn't come across in that post but I do actually quite like Channing Tatum in general, I was just expecting him to play the role in the same formulaic, cliché-ridden way that Gerard Butler did it. Credit to him for staying clear of that.

Drinking Buddies was released on dvd in the US last month so is 'available' over here if you follow. The film itself is alright, some decent individual performances (particularly Olivia Wilde) and of course you get your fix of Anna Kendrick. 6/10

I see. Cheers.

The Crying Game

crying_game_ver1.jpg

I hadn't seen this for years and I'd forgotten how good it is. I sat in last night and watched it with a Polish mate who hadn't heard of it and had no idea of the "twist" in the plot. He just about jumped out of his seat.

A great film and an amusing reaction.

It's got a big, fat veiny cock!

Edited by tongue_tied_danny