What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Where Eskimos Live

Set in war torn Bosnia, Bob Hoskins is Sharkey a supposed UNICEF worker but is actually part of a black market adoption ring in Poland. He manages to get custody of a nine year old orphan but him and the boy start to bond as they face all sorts of grim and brutal situations to try and get out of the country. There are a couple of good twists in the final act and Sharkey finds some sort of redemption after everything the pair have gone through. Great acting by both Hoskins and the young boy and some very realistic, harrowing scenes.

8/10

On 11/1/2016 at 11:14, killienick said:

My go to scary film has always been The Fog. I love that film, it's an almost perfect horror helped by a typically brilliant Carpenter score. 9/10

I must've been about four years old and was struggling to sleep. Crept downstairs and sat on the stairs where my folks were in the lounge with the lights off, watching this. I must've been frozen to the step in terror. I still panic if I go out at night and it's foggy. 

16 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I must've been about four years old and was struggling to sleep. Crept downstairs and sat on the stairs where my folks were in the lounge with the lights off, watching this. I must've been frozen to the step in terror. I still panic if I go out at night and it's foggy. 

I watched it when I was still in Primary 7, it gave me proper nightmares for a couple of weeks. Bloomin' brilliant horror film.

Another +1 for The Fog. I only watched it when I was a kid because I'd read James Herbert's book of the same name and thought they must be related, but it's an absolute cracker. Didn't realise until I was older that most of my favourite horror films of the time were directed by John Carpenter. I wish we had those wee local radio stations in our towns, especially if there were hosted by Adrienne Barbeau  :P

Don't bother with the remake, though. Staggeringly poor.

5 hours ago, jam20 said:

Arrival - 8/10

Great Sci Fi film that didnt rely on big explosions and action.  Amy Adams was great in this as well.

Just back from seeing this and I'd give it a 9/10

Arrival is a must see and not just for sci-fi fans, very thought provoking and agree with jam that Amy Adams was terrific.

Villeneuve is building up an impressive body of work and seems to have been heavily influenced by Stanley Kubrick taking a very long time to complete each film, very good use of imagery and music and willing to challenge himself over a range of genres. Feeling quite comfortable that he'll be directing Blade Runner 2049

Arrival - Brutal, predictable cheeseball, Hollywood ending aside - very thought provoking.

Imagine if aliens did decide to land and we have Donald Trump, May and Putin as just three of the world leaders to greet them. They'd be fucking off again sharpish.

The Greasy Strangler 7/10

Christ! I knew this was gonna be a bit weird but fuckinell! It's kinda like Napolean Dynamite but more extreme and deliberate in its shitness, think it tips over more to the 'so bad it's bad' side of things rather than 'so bad it's good'. A film that needs to be experienced  however

Nocturnal Animals 8/10

Great film (story within a story scenario, Amy Adams is divine, lovely cinematography natch, natch, natch) but the opening credits are probably the most disgusting thing I've witnessed on the big screen. Seriously, I nearly lost my fish supper over the old burd in front of me. They also insulted my sensibilities as a feminist.