What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(157)

Look Who's Back 10/10

Have read the book and had zero idea there was an adaption til I came across it on Netflix the other day!

German film, Hitler mystically reappears in 2014 and has to find his way in the world. He's picked up by a down on his luck news reporter and quickly Hitler becomes a media sensation, ostensibly as a comedian but that's not what he thinks. Slowly he becomes more and more popular.

This is one of the best films I've ever seen, seriously. It's a comedy in that there are several laugh out (REALLY) loud moments, most notably a man claiming that African refugees have an IQ of 40-50 and Germany used to have an IQ of about 80 (seriously this bit is so brilliant I had to pause it); a re-enactment of the famous bunker scene from Downfall (only with a different character in the Hitler role); and a scene where screenwriters have to think up the most offensive jokes they can possibly think of (I'm ashamed to say i laughed like a fucking drain at one in particular in fact I just started laughing again just thinking about it).

But it's really dark and serious at the same time, it has the least happy ending you can imagine and it's really an allegory for the recent rise in the far right, not just in Germany but across Europe. 

I might well draw this back a bit in the future but it's at least a 9.5 and possibly a 10. I'll give it the full marks just now as I cant pick a fault in it. There's actually so much more to it than what I've described. It's a masterpiece of political black comedy the likes of which I've never seen before. Surprised it hasn't had more press.

Edited by Christophe

The Girl with all the Gifts (SKY)

British zombie flick ,by no means the worst of that genre and a slightly different slant on the main character but ultimately another run of the mill zombie picture, which is basically a survival movie, very hard to be original with it now I suppose. Watchable enough 5/10.

(157)
Look Who's Back 10/10
Have read the book and had zero idea there was an adaption til I came across it on Netflix the other day!
German film, Hitler mystically reappears in 2014 and has to find his way in the world. He's picked up by a down on his luck news reporter and quickly Hitler becomes a media sensation, ostensibly as a comedian but that's not what he thinks. Slowly he becomes more and more popular.
This is one of the best films I've ever seen, seriously. It's a comedy in that there are several laugh out (REALLY) loud moments, most notably a man claiming that African refugees have an IQ of 40-50 and Germany used to have an IQ of about 80 (seriously this bit is so brilliant I had to pause it); a re-enactment of the famous bunker scene from Downfall (only with a different character in the Hitler role); and a scene where screenwriters have to think up the most offensive jokes they can possibly think of (I'm ashamed to say i laughed like a fucking drain at one in particular in fact I just started laughing again just thinking about it).
But it's really dark and serious at the same time, it has the least happy ending you can imagine and it's really an allegory for the recent rise in the far right, not just in Germany but across Europe. 
I might well draw this back a bit in the future but it's at least a 9.5 and possibly a 10. I'll give it the full marks just now as I cant pick a fault in it. There's actually so much more to it than what I've described. It's a masterpiece of political black comedy the likes of which I've never seen before. Surprised it hasn't had more press.

Been toying with watching this for ages, keeps popping up on my netflix as I'll watch anything about the war, the story just sounds a bit daft so expected it to be awful.
Will give it a watch now.

The Big Sick - 8/10
Boy meets girl, boy upsets girl, girl goes into coma is the premise. 
It's well written and has some fantastic acting. Well worth a watch.

Sounds awfully like a Smiths song.

33 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Dunkirk

As always with Nolan, thought it was a bit hollow. As always with Nolan though, I still really enjoyed it.

7/10

My main problem with this movie is that it's not a movie about war. Or characters. It's a movie about how cool Noland and Zimmer are at making movies and soundtracks.

My main problem with this movie is that it's not a movie about war. Or characters. It's a movie about how cool Noland and Zimmer are at making movies and soundtracks.

Lol wut?

Of course it's a film about war. But it's a film about how war isn't as glorious as previous films make it out to be. The film was never going to be full of action scenes as that's entirely not the point of the story. The whole point of it was to show how utterly stranded, helpless and vulnerable those men were. For me Nolan (and Zimmerman) nailed that part. Every time we were on the beach and there was the sound of aircraft my heart started racing. It reminded me of the final scene of Saving Private Ryan when you heard the tanks coming but much more intense.

There were a few characters involved but we didn't get any depth which again was absolutely the right approach IMO. It shouldn't have been about characters, it should have been about telling the story. Every fisherman who came across the channel was a hero, every pilot who shot done bombers was a hero, all the men who somehow made it home were heroes. To have a main character as our 'hero' wouldn't have felt right IMO. The most emotional scene for me was seeing all those wee boats coming towards the beach and the men going nuts in celebration. The togetherness was incredible. The lack of dialogue demonstrated how good Zimmerman really is as the intensity was constant.

On the side of politics it's just unbelievable that those men were left with no support. They could have delved into that further maybe but again I don't think it was what Nolan was trying to achieve.

Good performances from those who had dialogue. It only loses a mark for me as the story was a little hard to follow before I realised they were interlinked!

9/10.

Dunkirk - 9/10.

As has been said this was about the scenes not dialogue - visually stunning.

The music as well played a strong role - helping to create the tense atmosphere.

I read one review on another website - the reviewer gave it 1/10 saying it was just another glorify war movie - clearly the moron hadn't seen the film as this film does anything but glorify war.

War for the Planet of the Apes (Cinema)
I hate my self for saying this but I didn't really enjoy it. The first instalment of the recent trilogy is a massive favourite of mine and I thought that the sequel was really strong overall. This feels very detached from those two, mainly because it is now all out war and I felt the whole thing was handled quite poorly. There were enough good elements in the early stages of the film but the second half didn't really grab me in any way. 
5/10 

Have to agree with this.

Thought the storyline was weak and just not enough of Woody Harrelson.

The new talking chimp character looked really out if place - like it was added for the kids.

I was disappointed on the whole.

4/10

(159)

The Big Sick 7.5/10

YES IT'S A ROMCOM. AND it's produced by Apatow but it's a pretty engaging film. Trueish story by the Pakistani guy from Silicon Valley about not wanting yr parents to boot you out of the family when you meet someone from a different culture. Probably didn't need to be quite as long as it was tho. (cinema)

Logan 0/10

I lost the will to live with this.

This is navel-gazing pish of the first degree.

Bored rigid from start to finish - I'm sure I fell asleep at one point.

Trying to turn Wolverine into a western (because this is what this really was) was a bad mistake - there's been far better westerns dealing with the the movie's themes.

Mangold truly fucks up the franchise.

11 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(158)

The Beguiled 8/10

Good film this, very slight story really, lovely aesthetics quite dreamy. (cinema)

Lots of bits reminded me of Barry Lyndon. Kubrick filmed internal scenes in a big country house using only candlelight and I got the sense Coppola was going for the same look. 

15 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Logan 0/10

I lost the will to live with this.

This is navel-gazing pish of the first degree.

Bored rigid from start to finish - I'm sure I fell asleep at one point.

Trying to turn Wolverine into a western (because this is what this really was) was a bad mistake - there's been far better westerns dealing with the the movie's themes.

Mangold truly fucks up the franchise.

Away, it's fantastic. It's deliberately made to feel separate from other comic book films.