What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I watched Atomic Blonde tonight.

It looks great. Really well shot. Plenty of brutal modernist architecture as you'd expect from late communist era east Berlin and plenty of harsh neon for the west. Lots of use of monochrome. Not exactly black and white, but almost with really harsh blue or red filters to give some scenes a really particular look.

Action scenes were really well done.

Script isnt great.

Character development isnt great.

Plot isnt as smart as it thinks it is. It's not 100% a multiplex action flick, but it's not a genuine cold war spy thriller. Emphasis is more on action set pieces than plot. I won't give away the "twist", but you can spot it pretty early on if you pay attention. And if you don't spot it, the movie rather kindly shouts it out at you in the last minute or two of the film.

It's really clear that it's based on a comic series. You can get away with limited character development as there's a general acceptance that unless you're doing an origins story or a really long running series, readers will accept whatever traits you want to give your characters without much explanation. Thats the way the characters are because it just is. Similarly you can get away with short, sharp dialogue in a comic series/graphic novel because you're working to the limitations of the panels. You need more than that in a movie.

With all of that in mind, it's still a very watchable film. Charlize Theron is hot as hell. The French girl is pretty hot. McAvoy isnt totally annoying. The action scenes deliver. The music in the movie is completely 80s, although it isn't year-specific. There is no reason why 99 LuftBallons is in there. The song was released in 1983 but the movie is set in 1989. The only real reason it's in there is because its a song the audience will recognise. 

A decent movie thats worth watching to fill a little under 2 hours. Its not a classic by any stretch of the imagination and won't be troubling the Bourne trilogy as the best recent espionage action thriller (or even the Daniel Craig Bond movies) but there are worse movies out there.

Atomic blonde

6/10

Not to bad plus couple of points for the lesbian sex scene but most of the good bits were on the trailer 

Valerion and the city of a thousand planets

1/10

Didn't know what was goin on half the time. Utter pish a point for the 3d

Both at cinema

Question for the folk who've seen Valarian - how did you enjoy The Fifth Element? The wife and I love that film, so I think we'll be going to see Valerian this weekend. Might try something else if even the Fifth Element fans think it's cack, as that film certainly seems to divide opinion.

Atomic Blonde

Plenty going on in this and enjoyed it. Got a bit fed up with the plot twists so when the last one happened, I'd reached the point of "don't give a f**k". Could have turned out they were all aliens and I'd have bought it at that stage. Other than that, aye, I had fun.

7/10

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd probably go with:

Toteal Recall
The William Hills Have Eyes
McBookie Nights
Vanilla Skybet
and... errm...
The Hustler.

The Odds Couple
Back to the Future
For Better or Worse
The Deer Punter

Watched Boss Baby on the plane the other day. About a baby who acts like a CEO (for 90 minutes) and that is about it. Very average with, when you think about the story, a very weird sort of idea as the main premise. 4/10 My 5 year old, however, watched it twice in 2 x 8 hour flights so maybe not too bad for the young uns.
Lion - also on the plane (which was a massive mistake). Story about an Indian boy who gets lost and then adopted by an Australian couple. He spends his twenties trying to find out where he was from in India and trying to get home. Thought this was brilliant, had a few whisky and cokes in me when I watched it and was blubbing like a baby by the end. 8/10
How anybody can give Logan 0/10 is absolutely beyond me - best thing I have watched in ages.

The bloke sitting next to me on a flight earlier this year was watching Lion - he was in floods of tears at the end.

The Infiltrator (SKY)

Bryan Cranston is excellent in the true story of an undercover investigation into the money laundered from Escobar's drug cartel,the very underrated John Leguizamo gives another top notch performance too. Really good film, would recommend 9/10

12 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

The Infiltrator (SKY)

Bryan Cranston is excellent in the true story of an undercover investigation into the money laundered from Escobar's drug cartel,the very underrated John Leguizamo gives another top notch performance too. Really good film, would recommend 9/10

Never looked back after that huge breakout role in the mid 90s.

john-leguizamo.jpg

He apparently turned down a role in Philadelphia in favour of becoming Luigi.

The Infiltrator (SKY)

Watched it last night. Spot on with 9 outa 10.