What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Detroit 9/10 (cinema)

One of the films of the year so far.  It's really powerful, laced with tension and does a very good job at giving a white guy living 50 years ahead of events a tiny glimpse at what a serious bloody mess certain parts of the US found themselves in.  I can't do it justice, but the 2h 20 minutes did not feel remotely that long - no clock watching from me, anyway.

Atomic Blonde 6/10 (cinema)

Style over substance, it's fair to say.  McAvoy plays a twat very well, Theron was excellent, but barring two cracking fight sequences - the second one feeling brutal and rather more believable than I'm used to seeing - and the frequent appearance of nipples, there isn't much going for it.  Didn't need the whole last 5-10 minutes either; would have been more satisfying without it.

IT 6/10 (1990, DVD)

I was a little disappointed by this.  It was actually the acting of the grown up versions, rather than that of the kids that grated a little, plus the effects have dated pretty poorly as you might expect.  Still, as a fan of the book, this seemed fairly true to it (it's been a few years since I read it) and I enjoyed the refresh ahead of the remake due out shortly.

18 hours ago, GordonD said:

That's because he wasn't an actor, he was the actual editor of the Daily Express.

BTW in the overseas version Janet Munro got her tits out. (Mild, but possibly NSFW)

Reveal hidden contents

C-TheDayTheEarthCaughtFire(JanetMunro).jpg

Yes, I read up on that later. And the version we saw had tits

18 hours ago, morrison said:

Atomic Blonde 6/10 (cinema)

Style over substance, it's fair to say.  McAvoy plays a twat very well, Theron was excellent, but barring two cracking fight sequences - the second one feeling brutal and rather more believable than I'm used to seeing - and the frequent appearance of nipples, there isn't much going for it.  Didn't need the whole last 5-10 minutes either; would have been more satisfying without it.

I might have enjoyed this a bit more if I hadn't taken my 89 year old Mother to see it. Turns out she was quite impressed by the hot lesbian action and the brutal violence, less so by the sound track. I thought was going to be a tongue in cheek Bond type thing. Found the plot a bit silly.

Hot lesbian action and brutal violence? Your maw seems like fun, WB. Movie nights at her place must be a blast.

Not that your recommendations aren't valued, but please pass hers on in the future too.

Logan Lucky - 8/10 (cinema). Really enjoyed this. Thought Adam Driver in particular was excellent.

It Follows - 2/10 (Netflix).
Horrendous acting, and hated the constant desire to try and build tension. Couldn't get into it at all.

Shangri La Suite/Kill the King

A nutter who hears the voice of his dead mother telling him to kill Elvis escapes a loopy bin run by Alan Tudyk who is molesting his crazy girlfriend. They meet his father and pick up his best friend (a transgender indian) and head to LA to make Elvis pay for selling out.

Trippy, 70's styled madness. I really enjoyed it.

8/10

On 8/23/2017 at 00:57, D.A.F.C said:

Life
Better than any new shit aliens film with a fraction of the budget
8/10
Calvin is a dick though

Caught this (on DVD) on Monday. Also enjoyed it.

Calvin is indeed a dick.

Really enjoyed the ending. When the fishermen look in to the capsule and it's revealed to be David and the music kicks in is brilliant, and then you see Miranda firing off to a lonely death deep in space which is also brilliant. Bad news for the fishermen. The crew made all the classic mistakes and had plenty of chances to kill Calvin, but of course continually fucked up. Ignoring procedures in these situations never ends well.

The Hitmans Bodyguard.....7/10
Only put this on to check the quality of my stream and not with the intention of watching the whole thing. Got drawn into it and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. The action and car/boat/bike chase scenes were most entertaining.

6 hours ago, Comrie said:

Shangri La Suite/Kill the King

A nutter who hears the voice of his dead mother telling him to kill Elvis escapes a loopy bin run by Alan Tudyk who is molesting his crazy girlfriend. They meet his father and pick up his best friend (a transgender indian) and head to LA to make Elvis pay for selling out.

Trippy, 70's styled madness. I really enjoyed it.

8/10

Can only assume you were tripping out by giving this an 8 out of ten.this was utter shite but Emily Brownings an absolute Wid 

10 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Can only assume you were tripping out by giving this an 8 out of ten.this was utter shite but Emily Brownings an absolute Wid 

I'm currently dosed up on prescription drugs for bronchitis and sinusitis so maybe

Miami Connection ( DVD )

Yes. DVD. Anyways, this is a hard one to rate. It's clearly a fucking dreadful movie, but it's definitely one of those ones which is great because of it. The acting, the cheese and the bonkers stuff going on make this such an entertaining watch. It contains probably my favourite on screen father/son reunion ever, a "have to see to believe" stabbing scene and just rip roaring cuntery on all fronts. I'd recommend it though. I suppose it's not THAT hard to rate. It's grossly entertaining and the rating should reflect that.

8/10

Ghoulies - bit annoyed at myself, as this was nothing like the film I remembered from when I was a wean, and was a load of old shite. Turns out the film I'd wanted to watch was Critters, a half-decent horror comedy rip-off of Gremlins. Instead I sat through a turgid mess about some dudes trying to summon wee demons.

I've nothing against shit puppets and bad acting, but the story in this was incredibly dull, and now I don't regret bypassing the video box so many times in the Eighties, despite having been sorely tempted to rent it. You remember the cover, I'm sure:

GHOULIES-UK-EV-VIDEO-VHS-front.jpg

Watched on Netflix, with a deeply unimpressed family scowling at me throughout.