What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Picked up the prequel to The Thing on Blu-Ray for buttons last weekend, so we gave it another spin last night. I still like it; not as good as the original but then, very little is. The CGI is horrible, but if we're very, very good, maybe we'll get to see the version with just the practical effects one day. Everything else was done very well.

...well, except for the ending, but whaddaya know? Turns out that got changed along with the SFX. Nice job, Universal  :rolleyes:

(160)

Land of Mine 8/10

In the immediate aftermath of WW2 Denmark had like 2.2 million mines to clear from its beaches so drafted in ze German POWs to do it for them and some of them were very young. Good film making this, pretty tense and PRETTY bleak. (cinema)

Edited by Christophe

The Big Sick - 7/10. (Cinema)

Pretty much a standard Judd Apatow film, with lots of people talking about feelings with wit. Ray Romano is absolutely excellent in this, and I'm not generally a massive fan of his. Also features one of the funniest 9/11 lines I've ever heard. Enjoyed it.

Creep - 8/10 (Netflix)

Guy answers ad to film a dying man's message to his family. Dying man isn't all he seems. Didn't expect it to be this good by the plot, but it's an excellent psychological horror. Definitely worth a watch.

England Is Mine - 6/10 (Cinema)

Morrissey biopic. Stops just before the Smiths. Portrays his earlier life as if he was autistic as f**k, which is weird, but aside from that it's pretty decent.

Pixels - 0/10 (Netflix)

Jesus, this is bad. Only watched it out of curiosity and wish I hadn't bothered.

I'm not.

It was shite.

Yeah, I wouldn't accuse you of that.

But it did big business and was well recieved. Surely you can say it didn't f**k the franchise up? Especially since the last movie was terrible and Logan is very separate from the rest.

EDIT: There's a difference between a bad movie and one that actively fucks a franchise up.

On 02/08/2017 at 16:54, Christophe said:

(158)

The Beguiled 8/10

Good film this, very slight story really, lovely aesthetics quite dreamy. (cinema)

On 02/08/2017 at 17:07, Shandon Par said:

Lots of bits reminded me of Barry Lyndon. Kubrick filmed internal scenes in a big country house using only candlelight and I got the sense Coppola was going for the same look. 

I was bored out of my mind. From the trailer I was expecting a revenge thriller/ Misery type horror with some rough sex. Nothing happened till the last 10 minutes apart from some actors wandering about being actory. Bit worried that as I'm getting older I'm wanting more conventional formats. Loved Lost in Translation for example, that was 15 years ago though. 

38 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I don't watch movies, I watch films because I'm British, not American.

Who goes to 'the flicks', then? I prefer swinging by the talkies with my best girl, personally.

Knock Knock - Keanu Reeves plays "Eli Roth" in a fevered nightmare triggered by panic at all the possibly-underage punani that Eli Roth has sampled over the years. Eli Roth's wife plays one of the teenagers that "Eli Roth" totally nails, bro, which leads to some high comedy when we're invited to believe that that a twenty-five year old actress might possibly be fifteen. Unfortunately, Eli Roth didn't cast Eli Roth's mother as "Eli Roth's wife", although "Eli Roth's wife" in this film is an artist and...well, you won't be surprised what Eli Roth's old mum did for a living if you decide to look it up.

When his teenage hookups turn out to be a tad inconvenient, will "Eli" manage to survive their violent attentions? Will "Eli" stop his family from finding out about his terrible compulsion? Will Eli finally seek help from a Freudian psychoanalyst?

(TL;DR - it's not great, Keanu still can't act, and I saw it on Netflix.)

Who goes to 'the flicks', then? I prefer swinging by the talkies with my best girl, personally.
Knock Knock - Keanu Reeves plays "Eli Roth" in a fevered nightmare triggered by panic at all the possibly-underage punani that Eli Roth has sampled over the years. Eli Roth's wife plays one of the teenagers that "Eli Roth" totally nails, bro, which leads to some high comedy when we're invited to believe that that a twenty-five year old actress might possibly be fifteen. Unfortunately, Eli Roth didn't cast Eli Roth's mother as "Eli Roth's wife", although "Eli Roth's wife" in this film is an artist and...well, you won't be surprised what Eli Roth's old mum did for a living if you decide to look it up.
When his teenage hookups turn out to be a tad inconvenient, will "Eli" manage to survive their violent attentions? Will "Eli" stop his family from finding out about his terrible compulsion? Will Eli finally seek help from a Freudian psychoanalyst?
(TL;DR - it's not great, Keanu still can't act, and I saw it on Netflix.)

I loved that film. I mean it's clearly a pile of shite and Keanu's acting is utterly hilarious all the way through, but don't sit there and tell me you didn't enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I loved that film. I mean it's clearly a pile of shite and Keanu's acting is utterly hilarious all the way through, but don't sit there and tell me you didn't enjoy it.

I think I was probably too disturbed to enjoy it properly. I mean, Eli Roth even has his wife (as teenage succubus) write "it was not a dream" everywhere. It was like watching a Martin Scorsese film where he has Robert De Niro play "Michael Scagnetti" and enjoy being buggered senseless by a character who's an aging, Oscar-winning actor known for his brutal performances in films about organised crime. That kind of cry for help is just uncomfortable for everyone.

Watched Boss Baby on the plane the other day. About a baby who acts like a CEO (for 90 minutes) and that is about it. Very average with, when you think about the story, a very weird sort of idea as the main premise. 4/10 My 5 year old, however, watched it twice in 2 x 8 hour flights so maybe not too bad for the young uns.

Lion - also on the plane (which was a massive mistake). Story about an Indian boy who gets lost and then adopted by an Australian couple. He spends his twenties trying to find out where he was from in India and trying to get home. Thought this was brilliant, had a few whisky and cokes in me when I watched it and was blubbing like a baby by the end. 8/10

How anybody can give Logan 0/10 is absolutely beyond me - best thing I have watched in ages.

The bit he is buried up to his head and starts shouting "call 911" was one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.

22 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

Watched Boss Baby on the plane the other day. About a baby who acts like a CEO (for 90 minutes) and that is about it. Very average with, when you think about the story, a very weird sort of idea as the main premise. 4/10 My 5 year old, however, watched it twice in 2 x 8 hour flights so maybe not too bad for the young uns.

Took the wee boy to see this and wasn't into it much but I did nearly wet myself at the Elvis impersonation. 

I have a different taste from most you guys on here having read various reviews with examples of Cloverfield Lane, Get Out and Don't breathe not being my cup of tea. Cloverfield Lane was my fault because without any research before hand I expected a follow up to Cloverfield which I liked and also liked Monsters. Left me disappointed. Don't breathe I was happy with up to the turkey baster patter. A poor attempt to just create shock that had no place in the film in my opinion. Get out again all fine until what I felt was a very rushed ending after the reveal. 

I think I struggle to respect the tension and build of a lot of films which doesn't make the film bad ofcourse it just means I don't appreciate or enjoy them. 

So I think this will vary from what a lot of you feel but my review of Godzilla (2014). 

I loved it. Watched it a few times now and don't get why people say Godzilla is rarely seen. He is in it plenty and the fight scenes are great. From the first sight when the flair is shot in the air to him going into the sea I thought it was great. Honestly one of my favourite films in the last decade. My only confusion was the build up of Cranston's character to then do that and shift focus on his son.

Kong Skull Island - Again thought it was a great film but I had no idea about the scene at the credits. Have to say that got me excited. Made it worth it for that alone. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

It only took 20 years but I finally watched The Full Monty yesterday on the wifes persuasion.

Really enjoyed it. Now I'm no acting connoisseur but I have always felt Robert Carlyle was a magnificent actor and he showed it there. Didn't cross my mind for one second that this was the same actor who played Begbie or Hamish Macbeth.

Its funny because I must have been 10 when that movie came out and I vividly remember my folks buying the VHS and me not being allowed to watch it. Something which always resonated with me because similar things happened with my dads Roy Chubby Brown tapes.

Of course i was old enough to understand it was about strippers but didn't think much at the time. My mum was a bit overprotective though, she didnay let me watch the shawshank redemption because of 5 seconds of shagging so you can understand why the thought of a bunch of yorkshire men flapping their willows was a bit much.

Its only watching it as an adult that I realise its a great story that touches on some heavy themes - suicide, poverty, unemployment, but still has a feel good vibe to it.

Also couldn't help but think I recognised Carlyles tubby mate and lo and behold its Rob Baratheon from Game of Thrones aka Mark Addy.

Top film.

Dunkirk:
I can understand the complaints with it in terms of lack of character depth and such, but there is no doubt that that was exactly what Nolan set out to do. In war, you really are just landed with people you don't know and forced to survive. It perfectly encapsulated how isolated you can be, even on something that grand a scale.
The way that the tension generated in the first few minutes stays at that level all movie is brilliant. It makes me want to see what Nolan could do in a horror movie.

The Emoji Movie - meh.

Atomic Blonde - Bourne meets Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but with more emphasis on the former. Was alright to kill some time, but not a classic; fans of Eighties nostalgia will probably get a lot more out of it. Yet another film that just plays a mix tape of pop music in the background and calls that a soundtrack.

Plenty of lingering shots of Charlize Theron's body, and a sapphic sex scene too, but I'm sure nobody's interested in that kind of thing.