What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 05/03/2017 at 15:23, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Founder

A fascinating period drama about the growth of the McDonald's  fast food chain. It somehow managed to make a load of business deals entertaining. 

Michael Keating is in good form as a travelling salesman who saw the potential and spread the chain across the USA.

8/10

The Founder was a great movie I seen last night. Not only about how quickly the franchise spread but in how to back stab someone with legality and steal their name and business model. :lol:

I liked they way they portrayed the the real McDonald brothers getting totally shafted and screwed over by an unscrupulous opportunist who eventually stole their idea on the speedy system that gave us fast food.

Michael Keating was on top form also 8/10.

It may stop me from ever having a McDonald's ever again because of what Kroc did to the McDonald brothers. So much for Capitalism at work when you can have your ideas stolen from you legally?

The Great Wall (Amazon rental) - 4/10

Wasnt really expecting much however it really was pretty bad. Pretty bland story line, no real plot twists or excitement in it. Matt Damon must have got offered a fair chunk of cash to star in this one!

Les miserableś

I've put off seeing it for years as I'm not big into musicals.

What a phenomenal movie, really enjoyed it and forgot it was a musical halfway through.

On 7/24/2017 at 12:12, Shandon Par said:

Get Carter

9/10

Don't think I'd ever seen more than a few snippets of this before. Sat down with missus to watch it last night. What a bunch of horrible b*****ds! Really bold film to hve such a brutal main character. Really impressed by all the scenes in bars, nightclubs, horse racing as it all looks so believable. You never think these are extras, it just looks like the film is playing out in real time in some sections. Plus, any film with Britt Eckland getting her tits out is going to get at least 8/10 from me.

When Carter arrives in Newcastle and orders "a pint of bitter in a thin glass" (wtf is a thin glass?), that bar is full of regulars as extras. There's an old guy with polydactylism  (he has 6 fingers on one hand) which you can see quite clearly.

It's a brilliant film well worthy of your 9/10.

The Stanford Prison Experiment (sky cinema) True story. Decent. 68/100

Have you seen The Experiment and if so is it still worth watching this?

Watched a few recently.

Beauty and The Beast

Emma Watson was as I expected: dull and wooden. Really don't rate the girl. I didn't think the English accents worked given it had a French feel. I know the animated film was done with mainly American accents but I didn't notice it as much. I liked the added parts about Belle's mum's death and The Beast's father being horrible. The sets were nice as well. Not a touch on the animated one though.

6/10

The Longest Ride

Really enjoyed this. Was expecting the usual soppy American romance film but felt this one was more than that. The two stories were really nice and even though I saw the ending coming at the auction it was still a nice finish.

8/10

Hacksaw Ridge

Really loved this. As a film and a story. The balls the guy must have had to stand by his beliefs was nothing short of incredible. And his bravery on the battlefield was unbelievable. If it hadn't been a true story you would think his actions were just glamorised nonsense. The action scenes themselves were incredible. I had a look at IMDB afterwards and I've actually watched all the films Gibson has directed and loved every one. It's a shame he's such a crackpot and doesn't produce more work because I actually think he's a terrific director. Shout out to the score as well. I actually thought it was the work of Hans Zimmer it was so good.

9/10

It only misses out on full marks because I selfishly wanted another few actions scenes as they were so good.

When Carter arrives in Newcastle and orders "a pint of bitter in a thin glass" (wtf is a thin glass?), that bar is full of regulars as extras. There's an old guy with polydactylism  (he has 6 fingers on one hand) which you can see quite clearly.

A thin glass is what you drink out of these days.
8a3bb2db85f681651a4fd408bfcd66cc.jpg

In the 70's most pubs sold pints in dumpy glasses with handles.
0f4a4da563e2349177eaba0cadd25d27.jpg

Kong: Skull Island (Amazon rental) - 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed this as a switch your brain off action film. Bit of a different telling of the Kong story. Plus it has Brie Larson in it who is lovely!!

On 28/07/2017 at 21:47, Arch Stanton said:

Get Carter.jpg

The Sentinel.

Saw it was on BBC1 the other night so put it on the planner as synopsis & cast looked decent, despite it being a decade old I hadnt seen it.

3/10 major let down. First twenty minutes or so looked relatively promising then just meandered into a pile of cliche strewn action scenes, pantomine bad guys (the terrorists seeking to kill Mr President are hilariously boo hiss bad with a ridiculous back story and background) & good guys with a rather predictable plotline. A condensed version of 24 with a half hearted turn by Kiefer Sutherland and a 'here for the pay cheque' performance by Michael Douglas. Was made around the time as Desperate Housewives hence the shoehorned in role for Eva whatshername....frankly her pointless token character could have been left out altogether with no impact on the quality, good or otherwise of the film. Kim Bassinger still looked pretty decent for her age but the US President here was wetter than an Easter weekend in Burntisland.

Pretty pish and a waste of an hour and a half.

The Family(Netflix)

Robert De Niro as a mobster under the witness protection scheme living in Normandy, a couple of good bits aside it's all a bit corny ,decent turn from Michelle Pfeiffer as the wife and the daughter is entertaining ,just stick it on the pile of average De Niro films which are starting to outnumber the good ones sadly. 5/10

The Founder

As the tags don't seem to work I'll warn folk now **SPOILERS BELOW**

The story of how McDonalds became the powerhouse it is today. I had heard about how McDonalds came about and that it was created by two brothers who didn't get the credit but that's as much as I knew.

To begin with I was impressed with Kroc and frustrated along with him at the McDonalds' refusal to budge on any new ideas. I thought he was doing all the work for little reward. My support soon faded and he turned into a complete dickhead. The 3 standouts being him taking another man's wife - it wasn't really portrayed that way but given he appeared to chase her and his personality I would assume he was the one doing the chasing, his pathetic offer to buy the brothers out and failing to give them their 1% and the final nail in their coffin by opening his 100th shop across from them which effectively put them out of business. You've taken their idea why ruin them as a business as well? They were hardly going to cause him trouble. The guy must have been a c**t of the highest order and I've no respect for him after the film. The only positive was his wife leaving the fortune to charity and I really hope the brothers lived a comfortable life.

A good film overall though.

7/10.

Captain Underpants

Gloriously bonkers. A psychedelic mix of Blazing Saddles, Dr Strangelove and The Lego Movie. A few times I nearly choked to death watching this. 

I would have happily sat and watched it again. It's not one of those kids films with jokes for kids and clever nods to the grown ups - it's just bonkers. 

9/10