What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I thought The Boy was a pretty pathetic excuse for a horror movie, and unintentionally hilarious at times.

The Conjuring

This however, is a cracking piece of horror. Plays the long game more often than not and doesn't go for the cheap jump scares too often, choosing to actually build the tension and give characters who are actually good. It does play up to some cliche nonsense but does so pretty effectively, which I'd say is the case for many of the truly classic horror movies of the modern day, and while this isn't at THAT level, it's definitely well worth a look.

8/10

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Dark Waters
Really enjoyed it, Ruffalo is excellent.
Scary as f**k what DuPont were up to though- if someone had just written a story like that you’d say it was far too outlandish

Got this lined up to watch tomorrow.

ETA.........tremendous film 9/10. Partly based on this article....

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/magazine/the-lawyer-who-became-duponts-worst-nightmare.html

Edited by jimmy boo

It's definitely an intriguing tale. On a deadly serious note...

Birdemic: Shock and Terror

One of those movies that gets brought up when talking about "so bad it's good" movies, and this does NOT disappoint in that regard. There isn't a way that this movie doesn't fail. Even the score in the background is odd as f**k. It takes more than half the movie for the birds to turn up, and oh boy, that does NOT disappoint when it happens. The only reason I'm not giving this 10/10 is because I don't think giving a movie this bad the full score is right. But there's no way I can't score this extremely high.

9/10

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Great film, really enjoyed watching it with the kids.

I watched the 1976 thriller Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman at the weekend. Moves along well with plenty of twists and I enjoyed it (7/10) but I'm really glad my dentist appointment was the day before and not today.

A old boy used to walk by my office every day and he was the spitting image of the White Angel. Couldn't help thinking/screaming silently "Aaaaagh, Die Weiss Angel is hier!"

An adaptation of the Lovecraft tale?

Color Out Of Space.

Another addition to Nic Cage's spate of latter day batshit crazy movies.

This time he has to contend with a meteor landing in his garden and mutating everyone around him whilst also going through a severe sex drought with his wife, dealing with a witchy daughter, and having Tommy Chong randomly squatting at the bottom of his garden.

If you've ever pined to see Cage enthusiastically milking an alpaca then this is the film for you.

Needless to say it was watchable stuff.

6/10.

The Devil's Advocate

Pretty sure I've spoke about this on here before. I. Love. This. Movie. It was my first "so bad it's good" experience and got me into it as a kinda genre. Its fucking mental. Our main good guys first big thing is successfully defending a paedo. Great way to build yer protagonist.

8/10

Richard Jewell.

No high expectations before I saw it, but pleasantly surprised at how good it was. 

Of course, with Clint Eastwood as director how was it not going to be good. 

Excellent performances from Sam Rockwell and Paul Walter Hauser ( never heard of him before, but he's good) as Jewell.

Apparently it flopped at the box office. Can't understand why.

Richard Jewell.
No high expectations before I saw it, but pleasantly surprised at how good it was. 
Excellent performances from Sam Rockwell and Paul Walter Hauser ( never heard of him before, but he's good) as Jewell.

Just after watching this. Agree 100%, really good film and good acting. [emoji1305]

4 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Richard Jewell.

There was controversy about how a journalist was portrayed as someone willing to sleep with an FBI agent for money. Pretty well reported in the U.S. at the time so it might have had an impact.

Richard Jewell.

Because stupid fuckin Americans.