Last Book You Read....

H_B

13 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Jawbone by Mònica Ojeda.

Superb. Lyrical and poetic and genuinely chilling and haunting. A fantastic translation ad well, which really seemed to capture the spirit.

Do you read more than one book at the same time or did this one take you 10 hours to read?

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Do you read more than one book at the same time or did this one take you 10 hours to read?

I've usually got 3 on the go.

Audiobook when I'm in the car with Mrs fae the Vale (I drop her off in the morning as it's on my way to work)
A different audiobook when I'm in the car myself 
A Kindle book that I read on my lunch breaks.

Blindness - José Saramago.

Load of folk go blind, get out in quarantine, shit themselves a LOT, chaos and disorder, escape into a society where everyone is blind (apart from one wifie) then they regain sight again. Was ok. Translation was a bit weird imo.

The Kaiju Preservation Society - John Scalzi. 

Proper no frills entertainment with monsters that have monsters. Could have done with more Kaiju action. Fairly throw-away plot and lots of in jokey irony, wisecracking action etc.

If you like your sci fi profound and thought provoking then this probably isn't it. It's tremendous fun though. 

Yellowface by R.F. Kuang.

Really enjoyable read. Juniper is a complex, intriguing character written with real nuance. The last 15% or so goes a wee bit off the rails, but Kuang manages to pull it back for a satisfying ending. Pretty good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

An Audible Original dramatisation of 1984 by George Orwell. Cast includes Andrew Garfield, Andrew Scott, Cynthia Erivo and Tom Hardy.

Really good and engaging adaptation that has made me want to pick up the full novel and see how it compares.

3 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

An Audible Original dramatisation of 1984 by George Orwell. Cast includes Andrew Garfield, Andrew Scott, Cynthia Erivo and Tom Hardy.

Really good and engaging adaptation that has made me want to pick up the full novel and see how it compares.

1984 was written in a cottage on Jura. 

I don't think being on Jura did Orwell's TB much good. Should have drank more whisky. 

Just finished The Anxious Generation by Jonathan Haidt. About how we're overprotecting children in the real world but allowing them too much access to, and freedom on, the Internet and how this has changed childhood and creating huge issues in mental health.

For anyone with - or who works with - kids, it's probably quite a useful book about the issues and how to tackle them.

Posted (edited)

Listened to this on audible. 

I was interested as during the tory leaders contest he came across well. 

But no,  just another career minded tory w@nk

Edit. Had no idea he was scottish.  Anyone scottish  that has to put on a poor scottish accent when talking about a scottish person is for the watching 

download.jpeg

Edited by Oystercatcher

7 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Edit. Had no idea he was scottish.  Anyone scottish  that has to put on a poor scottish accent when talking about a scottish person is for the watching 

download.jpeg

I think "eligible to play for Scotland" would be more correct than "Scottish". He was born in Hong Kong, raised in London, and then the far east, and went to school in Oxford and at Eton. Not the normal pathway of someone who identifies as Scottish

download.jpeg

Irrespective of his politics, I was recently given a copy of his book "The Places In Between" which chronicles a solo winter walk he did across Afghanistan in 2002 with just a backpack, a walking stick and a dog and staying overnight in tribal villages along the route.  Whatever anyone says about the guy, I have to admit that that walk took some balls, he did it, and he survived it.  How many of our politicians of whichever persuasion could or would tackle that?

download.jpeg

I actually enjoyed the book, then went on to his Places In Between and really didn't get into it.