Depression

I have no idea whether I'm depressed (and never admitted it) or whether I'm generally just a moody unsocial type of guy. I have had a look at the symptoms and tick a lot of the boxes however I'm not sure if I am? I know if I go to the doctor he will ask the standard questions and my answers will determine whether he dictates if I'm medically depressed or not. Am I happy? Sometimes, normally when I'm doing my own thing on my own. But that surely just a preference of me spending time on my own.

Last time I went to the Dr when I thought I was having problems, he gave me a list of questions and was asked to grade them 1 to 5 on how strongly I felt each of these. Based on that I was reffered to a councilor to discuss it in weekly sessions

I think the Sun front page said "1200 killed by mental patients" referring to the toll of people killed in the last decade by what they term mental patients.

Edit - Unsurprisingly for a story like this, the figures are ball hocks. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100240084/if-youre-going-to-stigmatise-mentally-ill-people-at-least-get-your-figures-right/

Edited by ICTChris

Has anyone underwent CBT or anything similar? I'm currently trying it and struggling, would really appreciate some advice on how best to make it work.

Also, anyone been on Citalopram? I've been on Fluoxetine but it seems to make me worse, GP suggested I should give the former a shot.

Edited by JogaBonito

Has anyone underwent CBT or anything similar? I'm currently trying it and struggling, would really appreciate some advice on how best to make it work.

Also, anyone been on Citalopram? I've been on Fluoxetine but it seems to make me worse, GP suggested I should give the former a shot.

CBT can be helpful to a lot of people - one exercise is to keep a record of your activities, and rate how it made you feel - when you look at the table after a week or so, you're able to see that certain activities can make you feel better - for me, that was going for walks, etc - the idea is that you do more of the stuff that makes you feel better, and elbow the stuff that makes you feel bad - sounds obvious, but it's maybe not that obvious when you're too close to be able to see it.

The other useful thing CBT can do is to identify negative core beliefs that you might have about yourself - if you actually step back, and address these unhelpful beliefs rationally, you'll probably realise that the negative beliefs they have about yourself aren't actually true - you're actually being really hard on yourself - much harder than you'd be on other people - it's actually really unhelpful and unfair to do that to yourself.

There's also a thing called CBASP, which might be worth asking about.

Citalopram can be good for a lot of folk - you take one every morning, and it does its thing through the day. It's not a cure all, though - nothing is - it's still important to work on handling stressful situations, which (unfortunately) are unavoidable.

What you can't do is take your daily tablet in the morning, then have a top-up later in the day because you're struggling to cope, which is what I did! :rolleyes: That was just stupid on my part - it's counter productive, and can be toxic, so it's important to stick to the recommended dose. (this is the same for all medication, of course - I'm just an idiot!)

If you're GP is recommending it, then it's probably worth a punt - other readers may have other thoughts - it's about finding what's good for you - hope you get something sorted out - I'm sure you will.

As well as medication and therapy, there's no doubt that exercise and sensible eating and drinking can help.

As ever, make sure to talk it through with your GP.

:thumsup2

Citalopram is an excellent anti-depressant, keep a note of any feelings/physical symptoms that are not usual and report to your GP if they happen. CBT- yes, can be hard to work through. The book I mentioned above might help, but ask your therapist first as I don't know what work you're doing.

Neither do I read tabloids, but this from the Mental Health Foundation might help:

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/our-news/news-archive/2013-news-archive/071013-sun-1200-killed-by-mental-patients-headline

This is the kind of thing that stops folk seeking help.

ETA this is the UK's biggest selling 'newspaper' for some unknown reason :unsure:

Edited by Theo Snelders

I had intensive CBT when I was I the priory. When I'm well I use it without thinking.

I'm going through a really rough spell at the moment and I'm really having to work on challenging negative thoughts and work on old core beliefs. It is hard work but I thrive with goals and achieving so it works with me. I've also got a very good, takes no bullshit therapist.

I didn't find citalopram worked for me, at the moment I'm on Venlofaxine, Trazadone and zopiclone.

I had intensive CBT when I was I the priory. When I'm well I use it without thinking. I'm going through a really rough spell at the moment and I'm really having to work on challenging negative thoughts and work on old core beliefs. It is hard work but I thrive with goals and achieving so it works with me. I've also got a very good, takes no bullshit therapist.I didn't find citalopram worked for me, at the moment I'm on Venlofaxine, Trazadone and zopiclone.

Therapist eh. When I was a painter I got the sack for making a mess of his office door.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a really tough time at the moment...been unwell with a virus for the last 5weeks, work isn't too sympathetic plus my life seems pretty empty without my 3 favorite people in it :(

Felt like crying tonight :(

Crying can be a good release.

Three weeks past Monday I took an od of Valium, sleeping tablets and anti depressants. Three days later I took 32 paracetamol.

Three weeks on and I cuddle my kids closer and thank the sky fairies I didn't do myself any harm.

I've been lucky and in the interim had amazing support from friends, dr and psychologist.

What I've learnt is that one person tried to destroy me but many many more tried to help me.

Crying can be a good release.

Three weeks past Monday I took an od of Valium, sleeping tablets and anti depressants. Three days later I took 32 paracetamol.

Three weeks on and I cuddle my kids closer and thank the sky fairies I didn't do myself any harm.

I've been lucky and in the interim had amazing support from friends, dr and psychologist.

What I've learnt is that one person tried to destroy me but many many more tried to help me.

Stick in there mate. :)

Having a really tough time at the moment...been unwell with a virus for the last 5weeks, work isn't too sympathetic plus my life seems pretty empty without my 3 favorite people in it :(

Felt like crying tonight :(

Sorry to hear that, man - things will get better for you, though - I think you probably know that.

Absolutely fuckall wrong with crying, btw - plenty of people do it.

Glad you're better now, mate - you must have been really low at the time.

Sounds like the people in your life are as important to you as you are to them - that's a great thing, mate.

Having a really tough time at the moment...been unwell with a virus for the last 5weeks, work isn't too sympathetic plus my life seems pretty empty without my 3 favorite people in it :(Felt like crying tonight :(

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Like Paranoid said things will get better for you.

If you ever want to talk about anything then I'm here :)

Three weeks on and I'm in a better place. I've totally lost the summer though. Between being in psyc hospital and hiding in my room. But I'm coping better and feel better. My kids are loving nursery and the staff have been fab.

Sorry to hear that, man - things will get better for you, though - I think you probably know that.

Absolutely fuckall wrong with crying, btw - plenty of people do it.

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Like Paranoid said things will get better for you.

If you ever want to talk about anything then I'm here :)

Thanks guys. Appreciated your kind words :)