Depression

I was going to come on and ask you about this, Raidernation, if you'd allow me to. I wouldn't take offence if you didn't want to answer.

What are you doing to cope with your loss and are you seeing anyone professionally?

I ask because my dad's girlfriend passed away on Friday there and I don't really know what I can do to help. I don't see him very often, though I'm seeing him on the funeral on Thursday, so I just want to make sure he's going to be all right. He doesn't really have any other family to speak to.

I di four years ago as it was hard to deal with her suicide and I was already missing work for "stress/depression related illness" as the doc put it. Didn't have any family close by to help, but did have a lot of really good friends that just casually checked up if I hadn't been seen for a day or two.

This time I have two adult stepdaughters that live nearby and keep an eye on me. also have some other really good friends so haven't felt the need (or can afford!) professional help this time. It's just been a really shitty year...I had a very minor stroke in March, job for 2013/14 rescinded (I still don't know why, but I got the union onto the buggers and got some compensation) diagnosed type 2 diabetic in August and was back in hospital again a couple of weeks ago as I couldn't stop vomiting (over 24hours) and was very dizzy and hallucinating (no alcohol or drugs (except prescription) involved) Oh, and because of my change of circumstances being within two years I have all the fun of immigration to deal with again.

I am back working part-time and have another interview tomorrow, so I keep going. Mostly I'm ok just have the occasional spell (like I think most people do if they're in this situation. I just have a strong belief that things happen for a reason and that life will work out for me, seems to work.

Advice? I would just send him a text message, or call every couple of days, especially if he's alone. Some people might not like it (I'm sure he'll be polite if he doesn't want you calling) but I always found it helpful. I would expect he'll be surrounded by people offering support at the funeral so don't expect too much of a response, I was kind of like a zombie for most of it myself.

ETA: Don't forget about yourself in all this

Edited by Raidernation

I di four years ago as it was hard to deal with her suicide and I was already missing work for "stress/depression related illness" as the doc put it. Didn't have any family close by to help, but did have a lot of really good friends that just casually checked up if I hadn't been seen for a day or two.

This time I have two adult stepdaughters that live nearby and keep an eye on me. also have some other really good friends so haven't felt the need (or can afford!) professional help this time. It's just been a really shitty year...I had a very minor stroke in March, job for 2013/14 rescinded (I still don't know why, but I got the union onto the buggers and got some compensation) diagnosed type 2 diabetic in August and was back in hospital again a couple of weeks ago as I couldn't stop vomiting (over 24hours) and was very dizzy and hallucinating (no alcohol or drugs (except prescription) involved) Oh, and because of my change of circumstances being within two years I have all the fun of immigration to deal with again.

I am back working part-time and have another interview tomorrow, so I keep going. Mostly I'm ok just have the occasional spell (like I think most people do if they're in this situation. I just have a strong belief that things happen for a reason and that life will work out for me, seems to work.

Advice? I would just send him a text message, or call every couple of days, especially if he's alone. Some people might not like it (I'm sure he'll be polite if he doesn't want you calling) but I always found it helpful. I would expect he'll be surrounded by people offering support at the funeral so don't expect too much of a response, I was kind of like a zombie for most of it myself.

This is good advice.

Thank you very much for your reply, Raidernation.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses and your past year but I'm glad you're looking at it very positively, which is definitely the way to go. I hope everything works out well for you.

Thank you for your advise. I spoke to him today and the phone and obviously seeing him tomorrow. He said he's feeling a bit better about it now which is good, and yeah, there will be people at the funeral too who can offer their support. I'm just thinking what I can do to help him, but I guess/hope being there will be enough and I'm obviously there if he needs me.

Again, thank you for your response, and best of luck in your interview tomorrow!

Had quite a terrible relapse.

What's happened? I had a bad 'relapse' a few weeks back as is evident on this thread. I still feel a bit of a dick about it.

Anyway, what's happened to trigger your relapse? It doesn't have to be a specific event; it could be the culmination of bad feelings, a feeling of discontentment over any aspect of your life, a bad event or something specific to you?

Don:t be afraid of sounding like a c**t as this thread proves folk are really sound and unjudgemental

Compared to last time i posted i'm not as down but I do feel isolated at times. I lack self esteem regarding girls; I still haven't truly got over the last relationship where my ex cheated on me with her arsehole ex boyfriend before i came to uni just over a year ago which i have blamed on myself for no reason and to be honest, I have just hid behind it by getting really drunk or pulling randoms in clubs. It's not who I am and I get stereotyped as a sleaze when really I'm a sensitive guy who just wants a long term relationship. I'm now very shy when it comes to actual conversations with strangers which is the opposite of what i used to be like.

Last year was really tough on me with leaving home for the first time, my grandad dying and the shit mentioned above but I do feel like i'm heading in the right direction I just need some more guidance to keep me on track.

I can't help thinking that a lot of the younger posters could really benefit from talking to older people they trust and opening up to them. I always felt I lacked a 'Mentor' type figure when I was growing up as my father passed away when I was still relatively young. We seem to have lost a lot of the family values nowadays and it's something I notice more living in the Middle East. The Arab nations still have the family is first tradition and kids are encouraged to stay with their parents for as long as they want to and they are never forced to make their own way if they are not ready. The boys talk to their fathers and grandfathers for advice and I can think of no better place to start.

How big is the difference between loneliness and depression?

Loneliness can either be a symptom of a disorder/depression or it can a state of being. I don't think you can be diagnosed with loneliness but a lot of people do experience it without developing a disorded/depression.

Loneliness is a complete disconnection with the world, a sort of apathy you cannot shake. You may have many friends around you but you may feel that the connection and relationships with those friends may feel meaningless and this might end up with you not being able to share things with people and result in you bottling things up. You essentially feel like an outsider.

Depression itself has a whole host of other symptoms along with it and loneliness can be brought along by depression.

Has anyone here been put on Citalopram? I was just put on it today, and I've been reading up on the side effects and it's almost as scary as reading The Shining.

I have and I hated it. It's not for everyone, though I would say not to let the side effects worry you too much. There's every chance you won't get any of them. I found I felt sick constantly when I was on it and it did nothing for my mood whatsoever. Other people find it brilliant. I would add, however, that if you get any of the side effects (if I recall correctly, there's one listed that it can actually worsen depression and cause thoughts of self harm and suicide, so that one in particular) go straight back to your GP. If you're really worried about the side effects and don't feel comfortable taking them, head back to your GP or the pharmacist anyway and talk it over some more. All tablets have side effects though and a lot of the time you just need to decide if they're worse or better than the condition you're taking them for.

Has anyone here been put on Citalopram? I was just put on it today, and I've been reading up on the side effects and it's almost as scary as reading The Shining.

Been discussed here http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/193807-depression/page-28#entry7782788 and in subsequent posts, mate.

Mind, the side effects listed are only possible side effects - just be watchful. :)

Do you think spending too much time on here and other social network sites can make people even more depressed.

There has been research done on how Facebook affects a person's happiness; constantly seeing someone else's happy/social pictures can make people very unhappy and jealous.