Depression

Has anyone here been put on Citalopram? I was just put on it today, and I've been reading up on the side effects and it's almost as scary as reading The Shining.

Yeah for quite a few years. Can't say I have ever experienced any negative side effects from it though it does take a while (month or so) for the positive effects of it to begin.

I think I'm on the minimum dose now but I do find it tough to come off it completely which I guess would be the only setback for me. They do say for some people a background dosage may be required for a longer period.

I've got a lot of respect for people that has posted on this thread, good to see people opening up and talking about how they feel.

Yep, it's a good thing to read. Have to admit, I can't really comprehend some of these feelings myself, so it gives me a better understanding of depression than I would have normally. I find it's quite a hard thing to speak about openly in person, which I suppose is part of the problem for people seeking help. Good work in here, folks.

Has anyone here been put on Citalopram? I was just put on it today, and I've been reading up on the side effects and it's almost as scary as reading The Shining.

I had to stop taking them as I lost all sense of fear after taking them for a while. I was walking around without a care in the world, crossing roads without bothering to look, barging through large crowds of people and generally feeling indestructible.

I was on a plane one time that got caught in a massive air pocket causing the plane to drop in a very alarming way. Everybody was screaming... I was laughing at them!

I was only prescribed them to address a general feeling of nervousness around enclosed areas

This might sound like a really daft question, but does anyone know of any treatment that isn't focused solely on tackling negative emotions?

There has been research done on how Facebook affects a person's happiness; constantly seeing someone else's happy/social pictures can make people very unhappy and jealous.

It was constant moaning and non-stories that drove me insane and forced me to shut mines down.

This might sound like a really daft question, but does anyone know of any treatment that isn't focused solely on tackling negative emotions?

It was constant moaning and non-stories that drove me insane and forced me to shut mines down.

I've stopped going on mine unless I get a message or notification, which isn't very often.

Seeing the people who I tried to get back into touch with completely ignore me and post the same drivel about drinking themselves to death every weekend started to annoy me after a while.

Facebook just screams attention whore syndrome to me.

I've stopped going on mine unless I get a message or notification, which isn't very often.

Seeing the people who I tried to get back into touch with completely ignore me and post the same drivel about drinking themselves to death every weekend started to annoy me after a while.

Facebook just screams attention whore syndrome to me.

This, so many times this. I like it for having a laugh and messaging folk/organising stuff, but so many people post so much irrelevant shite. Why do people feel the need to tell everyone that they've gone to the gym? Why do they think anyone else should give a f**k? Why do people feel the need to tell everyone where they are all the time by 'signing in', and again, why do they think anyone should care at all?

It's an easy answer; it's attention seeking. It's all "look at me, look at me!" Before Facebook would people have called all their friends to tell them what they were having for tea? Would they call all their friends to tell them that they had arrived in a pub? On a night out would they take the time to call all their friends to desperately insist just how much fun they are having?

I really hate when you go the pub or wherever and folk just sit there on their phones online. Boring c***s.

It's attention seeking, but it's also quite unsettling. I'm really uncomfortable with the premise of letting loads of people know where I am all the time.

Edited by DA Baracus

Re Citalopram, I still take it. I was on a fairly hefty dose for a long time but have been tapering it off. The fearlessness somebody described above - I never had anything like that while taking it. All it did was take the edge of.

It does take a while to take effect, though. Give it several weeks because you expect most of the effect to take change. And don't go cold turkey from it because (in my case at least) it's horrible to do so and it also made my vision weird when I did that. (I didn't go cold turkey out of choice: I couldn't get registered with a doctor when I moved so I couldn't get a prescription for a few weeks.)

Basically it helped me a lot.

Folks, if Facebook upsets you then don't use it. If your friends upset you on it, get new ones.

Basically, yeah. It's trivially easy not to read "look what I'm having for tea" if a mate of yours is posting it. I like to share things on FB and I like to see what my mates are up to... I'm not really sure why wanting to have people look at positive things that are going on in your life (IF they are interested) is such a bad thing, to be honest.

We're all chemicals, not all spread evenly. But generally we need to encourage endorphins, wellbeing general health. I suggest that I you're feeling low you come up to Perthshire. pm me. This offer is entirely serious my good friend. Embrace change, Embrace Perthshire.

Basically, yeah. It's trivially easy not to read "look what I'm having for tea" if a mate of yours is posting it. I like to share things on FB and I like to see what my mates are up to... I'm not really sure why wanting to have people look at positive things that are going on in your life (IF they are interested) is such a bad thing, to be honest.

I've actually found that FB, as has been mentioned, is exceptionally superficial. I use it for getting things organised at the weekend, and keep track of a few people from university, but outwith that I'm a bit tentative with it. I've actually found twitter to be a far better social media outlet. I follow the majority of the folk on here and a few other football related accounts. Its a good laugh and its what I'm interested in, as opposed to photos of twenty-something mums who do nothing but put up photos of their kids.

Only thing I was prescribed 4 1/2 years ago was sertraline, and a very low dose (my doc knew I had problems with intolerance to a lot of medicines)

Don't really know if it helped much as it basically sent me to sleep so I had to stop taking it after a few days.

After that basically I was med free, both doc and I too worried to try me on anything unless supervised (i.e. hospital stay)

I've actually found that FB, as has been mentioned, is exceptionally superficial. I use it for getting things organised at the weekend, and keep track of a few people from university, but outwith that I'm a bit tentative with it. I've actually found twitter to be a far better social media outlet. I follow the majority of the folk on here and a few other football related accounts. Its a good laugh and its what I'm interested in, as opposed to photos of twenty-something mums who do nothing but put up photos of their kids.

Yeah it's superficial but I don't think there's anything especially wrong with that, is what I'm saying.

It can be used as a mood stabiliser. Not usually the first choice of treatment mind you, though it is prescribed fairly regularly.

Is there anything in particular you're worried about in taking Epilum Keeperdee?

Hope you are feeling better min.

I'm having a big wobble at the moment, lasting over the past few days.

Saving grace is that the wobble's origin is known- so will be at the GP if this blip lasts more than a week

I can't help thinking that a lot of the younger posters could really benefit from talking to older people they trust and opening up to them. I always felt I lacked a 'Mentor' type figure when I was growing up as my father passed away when I was still relatively young. We seem to have lost a lot of the family values nowadays and it's something I notice more living in the Middle East. The Arab nations still have the family is first tradition and kids are encouraged to stay with their parents for as long as they want to and they are never forced to make their own way if they are not ready. The boys talk to their fathers and grandfathers for advice and I can think of no better place to start.

I think you're right about that. I certainly feel that any mental issues I have result from a lack of any real closeness with my family(we don't not get on with each other, we just aren't very close at all). It's not an exaggeration to say I've not had a proper conversation with my brother in probably 5+ years(I'm recently 20, he's soon 24). And by proper conversation I mean something that extends beyond: "Merry Christmas" *hands over Christmas present*.